Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-11-2024, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Not trying to sound like a know it all but I immediately thought of mistakes I made early on with my diff setup and how it slowed me down. You miss on just one little thing and it gets magnified over a 6 minute run.
Scionara05 likes this.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by River19
From what I am gathering from some local folks that just raced in a TCS event, the "rules" and interpretation of those rules are really up to the track and people running the race as they encountered what they thought were extremely "loose" adherence to the "built to specs in the manual" etc. with one example being a group of folks that dominated Euro truck (I think) by packing their dampers with the AW grease and running the dampers inverted.....neither of which is "built to the specs in the manual". Not that I am a stickler for rules 100% and I get the "lube whatever can be lubed" approach but I would say these 4-5 racers most likely will not participate in another TCS event after this experience.

I guess none of this is really surprising.....but I have no basis of comparison
Sounds like race director was not familiar with the rules.. and definitely didnít feel like enforcing them.. did your crew file a formal protest? Eurotruck is intended to be box stock.. plenty of rules you can point to that would make turning shocks upside down an illegal modification.. would love to hear why they would think itís Ďokí..
Old 05-12-2024, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When it comes to rules and racing etc I totally get the desire to capitalize on "gray areas" and push the limits and if you aren't "cheating" you aren't trying.

Maybe I was wrong in how the TCS races were explained to me and at least Euro Truck was supposed to be box stock and built exactly to the manual spec so there is at least one class where there is a reasonable expectation that everyone is working with the same options for setup and it comes down to the person on the radio mostly.

There was also an individual that was very competitive that invested over $500 to accumulate over THIRTY $17 motors to test to find the "one" to carry his $159 truck to victory......or at least close to it. Lol. to each their own I guess......

I don't really have a dog in this fight.....I just know I crossed participating in the TCS events off my list.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When it comes to rules and racing etc I totally get the desire to capitalize on "gray areas" and push the limits and if you aren't "cheating" you aren't trying.

Maybe I was wrong in how the TCS races were explained to me and at least Euro Truck was supposed to be box stock and built exactly to the manual spec so there is at least one class where there is a reasonable expectation that everyone is working with the same options for setup and it comes down to the person on the radio mostly.

There was also an individual that was very competitive that invested over $500 to accumulate over THIRTY $17 motors to test to find the "one" to carry his $159 truck to victory......or at least close to it. Lol. to each their own I guess......

I don't really have a dog in this fight.....I just know I crossed participating in the TCS events off my list.
River19,

Tamiya Championship Series Rules and Regulations / Tamiya USA

Under

ARTICLE 16: EURO-TRUCK

16.2 The kit must be built EXACTLY per the instruction manual.

This means that the truck must be built using all parts (except for any exceptions listed in the rules) and that no parts substitutions or modifications are allowed.

16.15 Any grease, or lube may be used to lubricate gears, or moving parts.

Shocks, differentials, axles, etc are moving parts. The Tamiya AW grease is the go to grease, but at $10 for a tiny few gram tube, lots of folks will use whatever grease they can find (Lucas Red & Tacky is a popular one, or Dielectric grease) as its much cheaper to buy a huge tube that'll last a lifetime. Track owners that have thousands of dollars invested in Black CRC carpet do not want these thinner greases dripping off/out of the shocks onto that carpet racing surface so probably why the host track allows the shocks to be turned upside down. I can assure you it offers no performance advantage.

ARTICLE 7: MOTOR RULES

7.7 All Silver-CAN Johnson 540-J, & RS-540 Torque-Tuned motors are limited to 23,500 RPM, maximum.

The TorqueTuned motor is mass produced and a hit or miss out of the box. While Euro Truck is a cheaper, all level class, it doesn't mean folks will not spend the money on getting a few motors to find that one that gets close to the "legal" limit of 23,500 RPMs. Unfortunately that's always going to be the case in all forms of racing. I run good quality $2 (each) bearings in my Euro Truck, but I know folks that run $8 (each) ceramic bearings. Others may buy a complete set of bearings for $20 (about $1 each). The class is all about fun, but is still competitive.

For the past two years I've been to the TCS races at 180 Raceway, RC Madness (missed RC Madness this year) and Jackson and know guys that went to Big Dog RC, Larry's Performance Center and the Finals in Nebraska. The host tracks as well as most of the racers, are very helpful with folks new to TCS racing, helping getting their trucks or other cars up to speed to be competitive. I myself have never turned anyone away. These events while competitive, have always been more about having fun and getting together than anything else. I do understand how it can be frustrating to go to an event and feel confident you have built a car/truck that could be competitive, but get there to only find it's in the way of faster guys, more so than not. I'm sorry to hear that you (or anyone else) had a bad experience. If you or anyone else, wants help, please feel free to reach out, as I don't hoard any "secrets". I'd hate to see you cross off TCS and not give it another chance as these events have been some of the best RC races I've been a part of in my 41 years of being involved in RC.

Best regards, Tony Screws
Dan, Kregger, angrymelon and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TonysScrews; 05-13-2024 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:47 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Although unfortunately it is not entirely unheard of for someone to buy a bunch of brushed motors and find the best one, I hope it does not discourage you. This thing happens in all forms of spec racing, sometimes much more so outside of TCS and to greater cost.

The last TCS nationals we had in eurotruck was a solid 3 way battle from start to finish in the main. It was exciting to watch. With the next two not far behind. It was probably the closet racing of all the classes that weekend and one of the most stacked. In the end, it came down to mostly great driving and tuning.
Raman, angrymelon and River19 like this.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

tamiya 42248 is legal for tcs racing? Im not a fan of servo savers and prefer a hard arm.
tia
-d
Old 05-14-2024, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dan
Although unfortunately it is not entirely unheard of for someone to buy a bunch of brushed motors and find the best one, I hope it does not discourage you. This thing happens in all forms of spec racing, sometimes much more so outside of TCS and to greater cost.

The last TCS nationals we had in eurotruck was a solid 3 way battle from start to finish in the main. It was exciting to watch. With the next two not far behind. It was probably the closet racing of all the classes that weekend and one of the most stacked. In the end, it came down to mostly great driving and tuning.
It's not that I'm discouraged per se, I'll continue to race my TT-02 and possibly get a Euro Truck but I no longer care about keeping it within the "rules" of TCS and will mod them however I want to race in non-TCS races. If TCS comes down to that same type of approach/behavior then I already have plenty of that in my two 17.5T buggy classes (carpet and clay) and I'm about to jump into 13.5 4wd.

There initially was something refreshing about "box stock" when you are talking sub $200 where you knew everyone was running basically the same thing so you know it will come down to just driving and having a competitive race. But when that moves to a number of inside baseball gray area tweaks that separate the actual cars into a fast group pushing the rules and investing more heavily into motor gathering and testing along with getting extremely creative with "built to manual specs" etc and ones that stuck to what I believe is the intended spirit of the rules......then it is just another racing class like any other, just limited to Tamiya platforms.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
tamiya 42248 is legal for tcs racing? Im not a fan of servo savers and prefer a hard arm.
tia
-d
This is the horn that most of us that race GT ProSpec use on our cars. Otherwise most folks use the Tamiya upgrade servo saver.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

It's not that I'm discouraged per se, I'll continue to race my TT-02 and possibly get a Euro Truck but I no longer care about keeping it within the "rules" of TCS and will mod them however I want to race in non-TCS races. If TCS comes down to that same type of approach/behavior then I already have plenty of that in my two 17.5T buggy classes (carpet and clay) and I'm about to jump into 13.5 4wd.

There initially was something refreshing about "box stock" when you are talking sub $200 where you knew everyone was running basically the same thing so you know it will come down to just driving and having a competitive race. But when that moves to a number of inside baseball gray area tweaks that separate the actual cars into a fast group pushing the rules and investing more heavily into motor gathering and testing along with getting extremely creative with "built to manual specs" etc and ones that stuck to what I believe is the intended spirit of the rules......then it is just another racing class like any other, just limited to Tamiya platforms.
I've seen countless guys take a $17.50 TorqueTuned motor out of the box, slap it in their Euro Truck (w/o breaking it in) and be faster than any other truck out there. Again they are mass produced and sometimes you get a good one. Outside of that, everyone has their own way of breaking in a brushed motor. You definitely don't need to buy a dozen motors to experiment but I'm not quite sure why that would deter anyone from racing the class. My Euro Truck is box stock, $2 bearings, some grease here and there, good ProTek low-profile servo, same 5000mah ProTek LiPo stick pack that everyone uses and enough glue on the front tires to keep it from traction rolling. No special voo-doo. And I have a high end radio (Sanwa M17) that I use on over a dozen RC cars. Like Dan said, it really comes down to driving. The first time I went to the TCS race at 180 Raceway I was turning 11.6-11.7 fast lap times. After talking to a few guys there I changed my driving style only and was turning 11.2-11.3 second fast lap times. It takes practice.
jiml and River19 like this.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
I've seen countless guys take a $17.50 TorqueTuned motor out of the box, slap it in their Euro Truck (w/o breaking it in) and be faster than any other truck out there. Again they are mass produced and sometimes you get a good one. Outside of that, everyone has their own way of breaking in a brushed motor. You definitely don't need to buy a dozen motors to experiment but I'm not quite sure why that would deter anyone from racing the class. My Euro Truck is box stock, $2 bearings, some grease here and there, good ProTek low-profile servo, same 5000mah ProTek LiPo stick pack that everyone uses and enough glue on the front tires to keep it from traction rolling. No special voo-doo. And I have a high end radio (Sanwa M17) that I use on over a dozen RC cars. Like Dan said, it really comes down to driving. The first time I went to the TCS race at 180 Raceway I was turning 11.6-11.7 fast lap times. After talking to a few guys there I changed my driving style only and was turning 11.2-11.3 second fast lap times. It takes practice.
All good, perhaps Euro Truck next year.
TonysScrews likes this.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just ran the San Diego race…had a blast.

i was not competitive whatsoever in Euro…was super slow and car wandered, but man did I have fun. Also finished 10th overall with my M07 in Mini (car drove great but I didn’t have any speed vs the rest of the field)

my son (home from college) ran a TT02 in Novice and placed 5th, he NEVER drove an RC car before! He even won a BBX kit in the raffle!

had loads of fun with friends, met some good dudes, met some others too (lol)….thanks to Fred and the SanDiego crowd.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Glad you enjoyed it and awesome that you guys drove so far. There were some challenges getting setup in the morning, but it ended up being an epic day of racing with amazing weather.

Some may recognize the track layout .

Huge shoutout to Len and Pat at The Lap Factory. Pat laid out the course and Len puts a ton of work into making everything happen. Both didn't even participate!

Old 05-22-2024, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey there he is…we had a blast!

clearly the older I get I need to drive in the slower classes, I miss the days of GT3

anyway it was a fun weekend
jiml likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Glad you enjoyed it and awesome that you guys drove so far. There were some challenges getting setup in the morning, but it ended up being an epic day of racing with amazing weather.

Some may recognize the track layout .

Huge shoutout to Len and Pat at The Lap Factory. Pat laid out the course and Len puts a ton of work into making everything happen. Both didn't even participate!

Man that looks like it was a lot of fun.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

For those racing at Big Dog rc - what tires are you running for:
  • Prospec
  • F1
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.