Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
  #8971  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Another great weekend at TCS. Thank you to Fred and the crew for making it happen. My respect to each and all of the well deserving winners.

Steven B., you are a gentleman. It was an honor to pit with you and your Dad. James will never forget your example of sportsmanship, and generosity.
240Z is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
  #8972  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

RCGaryK _ It would be a good investment and your numbers are about right. Although, I don't spend that much on my ESC. I am just thinking of people like me who look at that initial cost for a brushless system as the deal breaker if you're going to require it for the TCS. To drive mini in the TCS, you can by an M03M for $105 plus shipping and you can run. It comes with an ESC. Although on RCMini.net they have an article about some cheap sensorless brushless systems and on Ebay they sell for less than $150.00. But, I don't understand the number system, because they don't use numbers like 17.5. That shows how little I know about brushless.
MD is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
  #8973  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
What was really amusing was the almost universal complaint was how each of the individual racers felt that they had a slower motor than everyone else. week.
I do have one suggestion that would eliminate the “I got a slow motor” complaints. All motors would be randomly handed out and never run in the same car twice. You pay a $15 motor “rental” and you get to keep the last motor of the day. The bullet connector requirement made me think that was how it was going be run.
240Z is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
  #8974  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Herc Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Cheaters = Expose them and Banned from ALL TCS racing...period.
Herc Driver is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
  #8975  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
GTRtuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Good run!

Thanks Fred and the Tamiya crew for putting on a great race! It's always nice seeing those familiar faces that travel miles to race on such an awesome track. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for this TCS but still had a great time racing. Great job to Steve James and Timmy. You guys had the best set-up. Also great job to Tony Tam in GT2. That crew is always down to help out the racers.
GTRtuned is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 AM
  #8976  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

So someone was caught cheating, now we all know who and that person was accusing Brandon and Dillon of cheating too? This turned out to be a great year for me to stay home. I agree RC gary K.Lets go brushless already.Lets make the cars a little faster in Mini then what they were for this Nats by choosing an appropriate motor.Something comparable to a black can and be done with it.Anyways sounds like some had fun,some had a LONG flight home and some are going to Japan.See you wherever TCS is next year.Cheaters stay home.
racenut123 is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
  #8977  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,901
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racenut123
So someone was caught cheating, now we all know who and that person was accusing Brandon and Dillon of cheating too? This turned out to be a great year for me to stay home. I agree RC gary K.Lets go brushless already.Lets make the cars a little faster in Mini then what they were for this Nats by choosing an appropriate motor.Something comparable to a black can and be done with it.Anyways sounds like some had fun,some had a LONG flight home and some are going to Japan.See you wherever TCS is next year.Cheaters stay home.
I'll cast my vote for 17.5 in Mini
madjack is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM
  #8978  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

BTW, having a magnet in ones pocket DOES not means cheating... Well Maybe....
What kind of magnet was it?

I do know some one that uses magnets as weights for his car. They are the big ones though.....

Remember the bigger the prize means the more work the racers have to find a way to gain an advantage...

You want to try and stop cheating? Here's my idea....

Take the Mini cooper class:

Race provides: Tools, Radio and receiver, ESC, batteries, charger, servo, lubes, tire inserts, turnbuckles, screws, servo saver etc.

Paid by racer but provided by track: Sealed rolling chassis car kit, tires, rims
3 motors that are randomly picked by racer.

Hop-ups available for purchase provided by Tamiya or brought in by racer to be approved by Tamiya.

And everynight the battereis, motors, cars are locked down.....
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
  #8979  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by madjack
I'll cast my vote for 17.5 in Mini
Pansey... Throw a 6.5 in there and show people you still have a pair
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
  #8980  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,783
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Gary,

I like the idea of an all brushless TCS because it would allow me to use the equipment I already have and not have to buy motors and/or a speedo I don't want. This kind of change would probably get me back into series.

Mark
mtveten is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
  #8981  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,901
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
BTW, having a magnet in ones pocket DOES not means cheating... Well Maybe....
What kind of magnet was it?

I do know some one that uses magnets as weights for his car. They are the big ones though.....

Remember the bigger the prize means the more work the racers have to find a way to gain an advantage...

You want to try and stop cheating? Here's my idea....

Take the Mini cooper class:

Race provides: Tools, Radio and receiver, ESC, batteries, charger, servo, lubes, tire inserts, turnbuckles, screws, servo saver etc.

Paid by racer but provided by track: Sealed rolling chassis car kit, tires, rims
3 motors that are randomly picked by racer.

Hop-ups available for purchase provided by Tamiya or brought in by racer to be approved by Tamiya.

And everynight the battereis, motors, cars are locked down.....
In the end, the fastest racers of the week/weekend finished on top.

The race format worked very well, no need to change it (batteries and motors were locked down).

Nova F1 Racer, do you race in the TCS series?
madjack is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
  #8982  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by madjack
In the end, the fastest racers of the week/weekend finished on top.

The race format worked very well, no need to change it (batteries and motors were locked down).

Nova F1 Racer, do you race in the TCS series?
Used too but I'm not going into that again....
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
  #8983  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,299
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

2nd that
Originally Posted by madjack
I'll cast my vote for 17.5 in Mini
Core Creations is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
  #8984  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by 240Z
I do have one suggestion that would eliminate the “I got a slow motor” complaints. All motors would be randomly handed out and never run in the same car twice. You pay a $15 motor “rental” and you get to keep the last motor of the day. The bullet connector requirement made me think that was how it was going be run.
The point that I was trying to make was that there were very few "slow" motors. If you purchased two, the chances of both being "slow" were pretty small. Your suggestion makes sense, especially in the "A" mains.

To Gary, the motors were tested after the event and not during. To do it during the event would have meant that we somehow managed to sneak eight motors out of tech and tested them in full view of 30 or 40 people. I think you may be hanging out with too many dishonest people. Most of the racers I"ve run across are pretty darned honest and wouldn't cheat even if they knew how. Even some of the so called "cheaters" have been unjustly excoriated for doing things that were not covered in the "rules". I suggest to you, that some of the problem may be in how the rules are written and not in the racers inherent desire to cheat. This thing of you can't do that cause "everyone knows that" just doesn't cut it.

Switching to brushless, doesn't eliminate motor cheating. It will just make it more difficult in tech. Also, it will require more complicated and expensive equipment to test and will require more skilled people in tech. Some of our tech people this year were having trouble operating a digital scale. No criticisms intended or implied here, just pointing out something you may have overlooked.
Granpa is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM
  #8985  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Great race. Hats off to the Tamiya Crew. Thanks to the world's greatest pit man, Mr. Crabtree.

Tony's car was STUPID fast in the corners. no one could catch him all weekend. Great run.

Steve B. - nice guy...and great driver. sorry again that i scared you when i hurdled your car down the straight. but i knew i could clear it.

lots of fun in the pits with old friends. thanks again to Tamiya.
Hebiki is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.