Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The associated chassis itself looks lighter than the diggity designs chassis, but the weight really comes from the aluminum Camber link mounts, and center spline, on top of the heavy electronics that most people use.... It's possible to just use the diggity designs shock towers and 2mm top plate on the factory team tc4 to lose some weight, but you'll still need light electronics to make weight....The center spline weighs 19 grams, and I guess the camber link mounts weigh about 20 grams... After that, you'll be able to use a 310 gram battery pack, but it's much cheaper to use a lighter battery .....
All 4 aluminum camber link mounts weigh 14g, with diggity you need to cut the plastic ones if you want better roll adjustment which weigh 8g, a 6g difference.

Center spline is optional as are the top deck standoffs, you dont use them unless ur racing foams on carpet.

Diggity shock towers have built in old school camber link mounts so more material and should weigh more then the FT TC4 towers.

Sorry but I dont see where the FT TC4 would be MUCH heavier then a diggity, they should be around the same weight give or take a few grams.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

You are right, but there is some sort of mystery surrounding the tc4 overweight issue that I feel compelled to trim the fat as much as I can to make weight...... It seems that AE carbon fiber is made out of lead or something, because I use the same heavy electronics in my Awesomatix and have no problem making weight, eventhough the Awesomatix looks a lot more cluttered... I have to leave alot of empty space on my tc4+ use a 208 gram pack to weigh the same as the Awesomatix...... It's unreal, but the scales don't lie. Trimming 20 grams at a time on a tc4 is the only way to get down to 1380g......
Originally Posted by gooba
Bert your trying to save too much weight especially since a majority of tc4s race in USGT and VTA and for those that do run 17.5 or mod 16 grams overweight isn't going to make any difference.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Please explain how a diggity carbon fiber chassis is MUCH lighter then a AE FT TC4 carbon fiber chassis The diggity conversion is nothing more then a Factory Team TC4, so where is the weight savings coming from that you speak of

Just by looking at the chassis its obvious the AE version is lighter with most of the chassis cut out.

The main chassis itself is probably a bit heavier but it cuts other stuff. Maybe the Diggity chassis could be lightened a hair but after I painted up a spare lightweight body the car is really close to legal minimum with a transponder and swaybars. Car feels very solid, too bad I won't be able to race it until my next trip to Cali in August. It will be like a magazine from 2005, my DC4 vs my JRX-S Type R!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The main chassis itself is probably a bit heavier but it cuts other stuff...!
Chassis, top deck and shock towers ... thats it, everything else is the same. I dont see where you would find any weight savings to claim a diggity is MUCH lighter.

The diggity car should weigh the same as a FT TC4 give or a take a few grams
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

The Ft tc4 should be about 40 to 60 grams heavier than the dc4 le with the same electronics, and they both can be underweight, it's all about choice....
Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The Ft tc4 should be about 40 to 60 grams heavier than the dc4 le with the same electronics, and they both can be underweight, it's all about choice....
where does this 40-60g come from bert ?? the AE chassis, shock towers and servo mount are lighter then the diggity version, that leaves the top plate and camber link mounts

AE chassis, top plate & shock towers come in at 106g + the 14g for the camber mounts gives a total of 120g ... so you saying bert that the diggity conversion only weighs 60g
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-dscn5806.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

I only look at the AE parts that are not present in the dc4 le, like the center spline (19g), camber link mounts(14g), top plate weight difference ( maybe 7g), etc... It' s not that much difference to justify $200... I'd rather invest on a range of lighter battery packs (3300/4300/etc...) to bring the weight down....
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

where does this 40-60g come from bert ?? the AE chassis, shock towers and servo mount are lighter then the diggity version, that leaves the top plate and camber link mounts

AE chassis, top plate & shock towers come in at 106g + the 14g for the camber mounts gives a total of 120g ... so you saying bert that the diggity conversion only weighs 60g
If I take a guess I would say the conversion saves 30g or so, an ounce. Aluminium and titanium hardware and a light body probably save that much again, so 60g weight savings over a steel screw TC4. Not massive but my servo weighs about 60g. That's just how I race, get the most powerful electronics you can and then force it to make weight.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

If I take a guess I would say the conversion saves 30g or so, an ounce...
on what part are you saving the 30g

chassis, shock towers & servo mounts are lighter on the FT TC4 ... your left with the top plate that is lighter from diggity

Since you're only guessing, my guess is the FT TC4 is lighter
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

on what part are you saving the 30g

chassis, shock towers & servo mounts are lighter on the FT TC4 ... your left with the top plate that is lighter from diggity

Since you're only guessing, my guess is the FT TC4 is lighter
Well your guess is wrong then,

You throw away the camber link mounts, aluminium standoffs, most of the top deck, and the battery strap and gain weight? Maybe Diggitys suspension and top deck plus the AE main chassis would be lightest.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Well your guess is wrong then,

You throw away the camber link mounts, aluminium standoffs, most of the top deck, and the battery strap and gain weight? Maybe Diggitys suspension and top deck plus the AE main chassis would be lightest.
camber links are 14g, aluminum standoffs and center spline are not used unless ur racing foam tires on carpet and want a stiff chassis.

Diggitys suspension Diggity doesnt make any suspension parts ... you use all the TC4 parts.

My guess the the extra weight of the diggity chassis, shock towers and servo mount are not made up by the lighter top plate .... so in the end a FT TC4 will be lighter
Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

camber links are 14g, aluminum standoffs and center spline are not used unless ur racing foam tires on carpet and want a stiff chassis.

Diggitys suspension Diggity doesnt make any suspension parts ... you use all the TC4 parts.

My guess the the extra weight of the diggity chassis, shock towers and servo mount are not made up by the lighter top plate .... so in the end a FT TC4 will be lighter
So you agree that the lightest combo would likely be the diggity top deck and shock towers with a stock AE main chassis?

Also, the Diggity chassis is thinner carbon fiber than the stocker, so that's a little weight saved in spite of no battery cell cutouts. A DC4 will be a lighter rolling chassis than a TC4, but not by much, and the Diggity main chassis may be a hair heavier.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While the recent posts are interesting from a technical standpoint (which components can offer weight savings), I really want to read about TC4 or TC4 based cars doing well on the track.

I have 2 FT TC4 chassis sitting collecting dust. One reason I stopped racing them was my setup was over 1600 grams in VTA (older speedo, steel diffs, heavy body, center spline installed). If there is a way to put one on a diet and be competitive in USGT or even 17.5, that would be great. I will admit I never considered removing the center spline completely or modifying the top deck. I just thought the car would be too flexible and cause the shaft to bind (from witnessing another driver try it).

At least for now I'm content to run my 2 tub chassis TC4's in VTA (one for carpet & one for parking lot).
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@ Indy. I'll trade you an ecx ruckus for one of those factory team cars. I really want to try a dual deck fiber car out but can't get all the parts and don't think I want the diggity car. Weight wise though my carbon tub car(not carbon fiber) weighs in at 1367 ready to run setup for 17.5 and with transponder I make about 1384 which is perfect. I should think either carbon fiber car should be in the 1330-1350 range similarly setup
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
...One reason I stopped racing them was my setup was over 1600 grams in VTA ...
wow thats way up there, I need 152g of lead to get my FT TC4 up to 1550g , and thats with standard electronics

DS1015 servo
Justock
Spektrum SR3001
Balistic 25.5
Reedy 5000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.