Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default setup advice vta

I need advice on where to go next with my setup it is out door asphalt soda prepped good traction. Car is real good on high speed sections but the low speed tight technical part i am losing to much. Seems from mid off just cant get car to rotate. any advice would be great
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TJTC4412015.pdf (254.9 KB, 323 views)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try silver rear springs and or 2.0 rear toe block.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Here is my soda treated parking lot track setup.

http://www.t3t4webservice.com/tc4-Terrance-1.pdf
Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbamsey
I need advice on where to go next with my setup it is out door asphalt soda prepped good traction. Car is real good on high speed sections but the low speed tight technical part i am losing to much. Seems from mid off just cant get car to rotate. any advice would be great
You qualified second and won the main and you're unhappy with the performance?

I agree on 2 degree rear toe. You could also try blue springs all around and lose the front anti-sway bar. A total of 4 degrees of front caster is also ideal for asphalt. Your setup sheet doesn't specify what you are using for front uprights.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

2.0 rear toe block and replace the front spool with a diff. Ive never had good low speed steering running a spool
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by beemerfan
You qualified second and won the main and you're unhappy with the performance?

I agree on 2 degree rear toe. You could also try blue springs all around and lose the front anti-sway bar. A total of 4 degrees of front caster is also ideal for asphalt. Your setup sheet doesn't specify what you are using for front uprights.
Not sure which front uprights whatever comes in stock kit. I know sounds dumb winning and still want more i got lucky in traffic that race day usually i am 3rd with a durango and a tc 6.2 always coming 1st 2nd i match them speed wise they get me on the tight section.

I think shaft driven car has the advantage in the vta class to lay down power better.

Thanks for advice will try them on saturday
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doesn't excessive rear toe cause on-power push more so than off-power or low speed? I think the problem here is lack of front end grip, not too much rear. I would say to cycle the front tires to the rear and vice-versa but it's VTA and they're not the same.

I look at that setup and the car should turn just fine. It has me stumped.

Maybe going to zero front toe and giving the rear just a little more droop to get a bit more weight transfer?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Your setup sheet has the inner most and outer most rear upper shock hole labeled. Which one are you actually using?

Anyways for mid to exit steering you need a softer front end, so softer springs or shock tops tipped more towards center of car (softer sway bar also helps, but you already have the soft one on there) A longer front camber link might also interest you, it will make the car more mellow on corner entry but be more aggressive mid to exit.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by anr211
Your setup sheet has the inner most and outer most rear upper shock hole labeled. Which one are you actually using?

Anyways for mid to exit steering you need a softer front end, so softer springs or shock tops tipped more towards center of car (softer sway bar also helps, but you already have the soft one on there) A longer front camber link might also interest you, it will make the car more mellow on corner entry but be more aggressive mid to exit.
It is setup the inner most in rear i couldn't get the outer dot to go away.

the car is aggressive going in, on the quick chicane(sp) it is real stable and just powers threw it seems like i almost have to stop to get car to turn out on tight corners. My other classes don't have the problem (6.2) that's why i think setup or limit of the tires maybe. I will try the suggestion i have received Saturday.

DesertRat i had Todd drive it he said same thing also had a real bad low speed push i used his setup as a place to start. I started taking front droop out hoping to loosen the rear couple weeks ago but didn't notice anything.

thanks all for suggestion anymore are always welcome hopefully this will get me closer to a great setup
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Have you tried backing off the ball diff tension? Try 1/8 turn at a time. I found that this helped mine rotate more.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Have a look at your Ackermen settings too much and you will scrub tje feont tyres mid corner and loose steering.

Last edited by DamianW; 04-03-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It is setup the inner most in rear i couldn't get the outer dot to go away.

the car is aggressive going in, on the quick chicane(sp) it is real stable and just powers threw it seems like i almost have to stop to get car to turn out on tight corners. My other classes don't have the problem (6.2) that's why i think setup or limit of the tires maybe. I will try the suggestion i have received Saturday.

DesertRat i had Todd drive it he said same thing also had a real bad low speed push i used his setup as a place to start. I started taking front droop out hoping to loosen the rear couple weeks ago but didn't notice anything.

thanks all for suggestion anymore are always welcome hopefully this will get me closer to a great setup
Normally tipping the rear shocks in will add rotation, but you can go too far and have the opposite effect too. I would try silver springs all around, with the rear shocks in the 3rd from the center hole and the front shocks in the 2nd from the center hole.

Stiffening the rear springs (or standing them up) will add steering response especially off throttle because the heavier spring is able to push more weight to the nose of the car.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How old/new are your tires? The VTA tires have a long life and really change in handling through the cycle.

I find the first few runs the tires are too new and stiff and lacking a bit of overall traction. The treads need to scuff in a bit before they soften up at least in my experience.

Then they wear in and are consistent and great until the tread starts to get near their end (almost slicks)...

somewhere in the 20-25 run range I find that the sidewalls have gotten soft and the extra roll tends to give the rear almost too much sidebite which results in a lot of push. By this time i find the only way to keep the car near the pace it once had is to pitch the car hard into corners forcing the rears to slip and drift around. Smooth braking and cornering results in too much push. This was where I was at the last 2 races of my season last year and I promptly threw out those tires after the last race.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

+1 on tire condition. on my usgt tires my car pushed until the tires broke in some same with my vta car. To break my tires in I just throw them on my mod car and go run them on a tennis court for a few laps. I however felt like my vta tires got better till they were pretty well shot
Old 04-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

You could decrease ackermann so the outer wheel turns more degrees. You could also shorten the wheelbase or increase drag brake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.