Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Only if your purpose was not to have any fun messing with it. Plus, I collect oddball parts.

Something else I'm wondering is if I can get my 03 to handle as cleanly as my 05. From the first time I drove a box stock 05 in 2009, I knew it was a very different car than the 03. Maybe some of that balance will translate.
If you have more than one M03 then I'm all for it, but the M03's in general are faster than M05's for a reason. That servo gives extra weight up front and benefits even if the cog is higher. Just don't go crazy on the turns.

I'm keeping my M03 in the factory orientation since I only have one.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry to leave you hanging about that steering things guys. Hung up in hospital and they won't let me move my workbench in here.
You alright? Hope you're outta there soon. Not that we care about you , we want to know your impression on that steering link thingie. (fast forward a few days, damn, should've just kept it the way it was! )

Get well soon.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

I picked up my daughters car at the track today. AS I was fitting her steering servo a man was struggling with the main door, I called out to make sure he was OK and he said he could manage.

a couple of minutes later he came up to me and said his son had given up racing and he'd just laid out a bunch of stuff for people to help themselves to free of charge. He said there was a few mini bits there and I should get in before everyone else does.

so I did.

Scored front and rear alloy hubs, adjustable front end bits, Super CVA dampers, 2 shells (CRX and Alto works) and most of a set of brand new 54000s among other things.

The 54000s have all the external parts and the plastic trees but no metal parts or o rings. Would the bag of bits from the super mini shocks fit?

Whatever the outcome it was a real haul, probably got as much as I paid for Audrey's mini so it feels like a good day.

She drove her car round the track for the first time, slow going but she got round. I've set her car up a bit better now so hopefully we'll get some practice in bashing and get her ready to race.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
You alright? Hope you're outta there soon. Not that we care about you , we want to know your impression on that steering link thingie. (fast forward a few days, damn, should've just kept it the way it was! )

Get well soon.
I'm in hospital a lot. That's the joy of a rare, idiopathic, frequently recurrent, disease. No biggy. You'd figure they'd let me have some space to work there, given I spent something like 20% of my time there last year.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

For the 3s lipo in a mini......not going to happen. I love to make it better. It's working on the car that's the best part....making it drive netter no matter what the case may be....driveway or racing. It's just the best hobby no matter what.

I installed a 15T brushed motor and a new esc to handle it but now....the forwards (pull trigger) makes it go forwards with reverse power and reverse (push trigger forwards) goes full power in reverse....switched the motor wires when plugging them in and now reverse on the radio (push trigger forward) is forwards full speed on the car when it drives and reverse goes backwards on the car but it's forward (pull trigger) on the radio.

Anyone had this happen before?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Reverse the throttle channel on the radio.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by antlockyer
The 54000s have all the external parts and the plastic trees but no metal parts or o rings. Would the bag of bits from the super mini shocks fit?

Whatever the outcome it was a real haul, probably got as much as I paid for Audrey's mini so it feels like a good day.

She drove her car round the track for the first time, slow going but she got round. I've set her car up a bit better now so hopefully we'll get some practice in bashing and get her ready to race.
Hey have fun out there with your daughter!!

As for the 54000, I think the metal shafts from the super mini CVA's fit (diameter of shaft is same), just double check the lengths and use spacers inside the dampers as needed. I recommend you use the super mini CVA's black pistons inside the 54000's. I run either the 2 or 3 holes with yellow Tamiya oil. The white tiny bore pistons the 54000's come with are imho useless for m-chassis as they are all too stiff even with Tamiya's softest damper oil.

You want a very soft damp setting on these m-chassis borderline almost bouncy for the most part.

I'm in hospital a lot. That's the joy of a rare, idiopathic, frequently recurrent, disease. No biggy. You'd figure they'd let me have some space to work there, given I spent something like 20% of my time there last year.
I see. Hang in there!!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Yup read the instructions and that's what I haveto do....throttle reverse switch. Never had to do it before so I had no idea.....funny how you read the instructions and everything comes together lol. Pulls nice tho....for the first second or 2 it was moving.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Way too many parts missing from these 45000 dampers to make them work I looked at the part list and it came to about the same money as a complete new set. Might have to invest

Looking at the times for the final last week

http://www.wkrcc.co.uk/current-resul...1_Final_01.htm

I'm nearly 2 seconds slower on my fastest lap than my improvement goal but the spread between best 10 and fastest for me is 0.43 to his 0.97 this gives me hope but also tells me I need to make a drastic change to get faster.

Any thoughts? Start with me doing something different? Start with the car? Bit of both?

The 1 or 2 next to your name is if you are formula 1 (brushless) or 2 (silver can).
Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

I should say the car handles impeccably, very balanced no over or understeer, I'm basically at full throttle the whole time on our big tracks and working on line choices.

I run sweep 25 rear 33 front, I went to 25 at both ends and ended up with less steering for some reason.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

You can stiffen the diff a tad more in that case if you're loosing steering from the inner wheel pushing outward (25/25 setting).

At such a big track, they should let you run open class. Run a lower turn motor for some cart wheeling fun.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

The diff is a TA03 tightened all the way, should I add shims?

Here is some footage from the meeting before, I didn't drive as well that time, I hit a few things including the new guy who we were lapping every few laps.

https://youtu.be/uaomx82OswA

I think the brushless guys (especially the M rage ones) get the most from the large track. If my daughter thinks she is ready to race next meeting I'll race my GT12 instead so I can help her out.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

I love that you get your daughter to the track and get her involved and popsicle racing. It's amazing. How old is she?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

any mini racers in the mid-atlantic area might wanna check out this event

http://www.rctech.net/forum/mid-atla...i-madness.html

I ran it the first year and it was awesome, looks like they've tweaked a little over the past 2 years...
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone using a shorty pack in their M05 V2? How do you find it?
I am and love it, ...i like the weight savings ...allows me to use the weight elsewhere. Also the car seems more balanced to me. Power is the same/not noticeable difference.

The m03 is faster than the m05 with the correct electronics/setup/body ,etc....
Interesting ...our 2nd top driver runs an M03 ...everyone else including myself is M05V2. Curious, is the gearing on the M03 the same/comparable as the M05V2 (and M05)?? Or is the speed strictly due to setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.