Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's exactly how I use to run mine too, minus the fan, until I switched everything down low, and instantly caught the eye of other Amain mini racers... I was catching some of them around the corners consistently where before I was routinely traction rolling... I took it as a sign for me to be on mission to lower my mini's CG as far as possible by only running the lightest components up top, and adding lead as far down as possible: servo, body , esc , receiver, wires, antenna, transponder, etc, were all lowered all the way down as much as possible with tremendous results... Yeah, I still run a brushed motor(slower down the straight), but I think too much speed/torque can actually be bad overall for car control...
Originally Posted by sakadachi
Car runs fine Bert. No need. This is how I like my M03. Why bother changing everything out? I have a super low riding light weight SaberFD mini for all that. Gotta have variety.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
That's exactly how I use to run mine too, minus the fan, until I switched everything down low, and instantly caught the eye of other Amain mini racers... I was catching some of them around the corners consistently where before I was routinely traction rolling... I took it as a sign for me to be on mission to lower my mini's CG as far as possible by only running the lightest components up top, and adding lead as far down as possible: servo, body , esc , receiver, wires, antenna, transponder, etc, were all lowered all the way down as much as possible with tremendous results... Yeah, I still run a brushed motor(slower down the straight), but I think too much speed/torque can actually be bad overall for car control...
He's a hobbyist with a private track. As long as he's enjoying himself, he doesn't need to bother obsessing over minor details. If he cared about peak competitiveness and CG optimisation, he wouldn't be running the Cooper body shells.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's right. I'm having fun driving these various chassis on the same track, same Rover bodies, same tires. This gives me a controlled environment to enjoy the various characteristics of the different chassis. Plus, the biggest reason, I love these short wheelbase Rover Mini's!!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

Just building up a m03 racer for outside asphalt, medium wheel base seems to be the preferred option, what shell would you guys go for??

Is the swift still the best handling shell??
Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

That's right. I'm having fun driving these various chassis on the same track, same Rover bodies, same tires. This gives me a controlled environment to enjoy the various characteristics of the different chassis. Plus, the biggest reason, I love these short wheelbase Rover Mini's!!
...i am still envious of your track! ...my wife and I have been talking about moving in the next year or so ...we need a bit more space w/ kids and toys our house is a bit too small (1388' feet and a 6k foot lot for house front and backyard). ...our next place I plan on getting at least a 1/2 acre to 1 acre of land for an outdoor rally track or some kind of covered on-road ...

..Sakadachi, I love the big-bore shocks on your M03.
Question, I use the TRF 54000's on my M05V2 that I race, ...I am happy w/ them, ...yet curious is there much of a difference w/ the big bore's?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
...i am still envious of your track! ...my wife and I have been talking about moving in the next year or so ...we need a bit more space w/ kids and toys our house is a bit too small (1388' feet and a 6k foot lot for house front and backyard). ...our next place I plan on getting at least a 1/2 acre to 1 acre of land for an outdoor rally track or some kind of covered on-road ...

..Sakadachi, I love the big-bore shocks on your M03.
Question, I use the TRF 54000's on my M05V2 that I race, ...I am happy w/ them, ...yet curious is there much of a difference w/ the big bore's?
Thanks and that sounds like a plan, eR1c!! I would check with the village and HOA if they are both okay with it. In my area I can't put a track in my yard, HOA would fine me

As for the big bores they aren't measurably better than the 54000 imho. I use the same black pistons inside as I hate the tiny hole white ones. They are smoother than the CVA Super Mini's though.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

village and HOA if they are both okay with it. In my area I can't put a track in my yard, HOA would fine me
We currently live at the edge of a town that backs up to all kinds of open land, we don't have any kind of HOA or anything we have to go through. Our plot is just on the small side ...it is our first home after a condo. ...our next area we are looking at it out in the country a bit more, most people have small atv tracks, small farms, etc... on their property. An RC track would not be an issue, ...actually there is a pro mountain biker that has a backyard RC dirt track -he live about 1/2mile from our current house. (he and his property were featured in RC Car Action not too long ago).
Old 06-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

As for the big bores they aren't measurably better than the 54000 imho. I use the same black pistons inside as I hate the tiny hole white ones. They are smoother than the CVA Super Mini's though.
Thanks, ...yeah I think i'd get the big bore ones if I was upgrading from the stock plastic ...but since I already have the 54000's ...i think i'll stick w/ what I have. I have big bores on my TC car -I do like them.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

My daughter has decided she's going to be 1/12th scale world champ one day and I need to build a track for her so she can "eat, sleep, race, repeat".

Where does a 7 year old get these ideas?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer
My daughter has decided she's going to be 1/12th scale world champ one day and I need to build a track for her so she can "eat, sleep, race, repeat".

Where does a 7 year old get these ideas?
When she grows up, it'll be "Race, Regret, Repair". Or is that just me?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Can anyone suggest a good quality M3 x 0.5mm tap? I just snapped my crappy DuBro one. Not sure what a good brand name would be for this kind of thing.
Tamiya 54232.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Fun + improvements beat just Fun anytime.....lol... Your own asphalt Rc track is everybody's dream... Sak, you are a very lucky guy...Enjoy, improvements or not....You guys know I am a perfectionist all the time, so take it easy on BERT....lol...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
When she grows up, it'll be "Race, Regret, Repair". Or is that just me?
No.. Race, Regret, Repair, Repeat.. (basically never learn)

We currently live at the edge of a town that backs up to all kinds of open land, we don't have any kind of HOA or anything we have to go through. Our plot is just on the small side ...it is our first home after a condo. ...our next area we are looking at it out in the country a bit more, most people have small atv tracks, small farms, etc... on their property. An RC track would not be an issue, ...actually there is a pro mountain biker that has a backyard RC dirt track -he live about 1/2mile from our current house. (he and his property were featured in RC Car Action not too long ago).
Sounds like a fun area, eR1c!! I would definitely make an RC track for my trucks outside if I had clearance from the village and HOA. Back when I was a kid my parent's place had this dead grassy hilly area where we use to drive my Frog and HotShot with my buddies. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks, ...yeah I think i'd get the big bore ones if I was upgrading from the stock plastic ...but since I already have the 54000's ...i think i'll stick w/ what I have. I have big bores on my TC car -I do like them.
Right, a good upgrade from the CVA Super Mini's, but not enough from the 54000's. Well, unless just for cool factor which is also okay. I'm going to work on my M05 later this weekend and swap its dampers from the CVA Super Mini's.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Back when I was a kid my parent's place had this dead grassy hilly area where we use to drive my Frog and HotShot with my buddies. It was a lot of fun.
Yes, we had an open dirt area too, ..it was a very large area as our home was on a new development. There were about 7 kids all about the same age in our neighborhood who all had RC cars. What I can remember being represented was:
-a few Tamiya Frogs
-1 Tamiya Hornet (my car)
-1 Tamiya Wild Willy Jeep
-1 Tamiya Hot Shot (this was a bad ass car back in the day) ...i believe it was the only one w/ 4 wheel drive
-1 RC10 (my one friend lived w/ his dad and got all the coolest toys). That RC10 was super awesome!

It was a great scene seeing all these RC vehicles racing around all day long. We'd make tracks and play games of RC tag. Good fun. ...one thing I remember w/the mechanical speed controls was that they were always blowing fuses. I think the stock fuses were way too weak, ...so we'd take the fuses out and hardwire everything. The good 'ol days!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.