Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Ok I did some reading and have come to the conclusion it is diameter...which a smaller diameter wheel usually performs better. Sooooooo teach... (granpa)....did I get an A? And thanks for the tips on the foam. I really appreciate your knowledge and in depth information.
Almost an A, Grasshopper, now tell me why the 55D tires are the tires of choice in an open tire series.

Just kidding. There are a number of reasons. The first most obvious is the shorter side wall. The practical one is that a 55D Atomic is about a second faster per lap than the best 60D tire, the Pit Shimizus. Although the lo-profile Rides are supposed to be better put I've no experience with them, but short sidewall on these.

The second is that there are more 55D tires to choose from.

The third is that you have all these molded inserts to choose from. You can literally build a tire for each track or surface.

You usually can't do that with a 60D cause the products just are not available. TCS and series that specify Tamiya tires are the only place that you see 60D tires running up front.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have tried these and come to the assumption, only run them if you want a spool feel.
Thanks Jamie, ...I think i'll pass on this route, I don't want the feel of a spool/fixed gearing.

This is an old technique and I just posted on this very thing not too long ago. I guess you must have missed it or didn't read it.
Yes, I am aware of this technique ...that is that it exists, but don't really have much experience with it personally. Yes, I did miss your post about it -I will go back and look for it.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Deleted, already answered, my thread needed refreshing
Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Joel, how ya been???? How's the daughter doing with her racing???? Still doing a little Mini or did she go into TC or F1.
Hi Granpa, yes I'm Joel, great memory you have there
For our Tamiya series, she is F1 champ and 2nd in GT. Unfortunately no free trip for F1 and so I will go to Singapore alone for the Asia Cup in the Mini class. Will go for Mini cooper S long wheelbase.

Hope to see you racing mini's soon!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is Yeah Racing or whatever they're called considered decent or good or...?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi Granpa, yes I'm Joel, great memory you have there
For our Tamiya series, she is F1 champ and 2nd in GT. Unfortunately no free trip for F1 and so I will go to Singapore alone for the Asia Cup in the Mini class. Will go for Mini cooper S long wheelbase.

Hope to see you racing mini's soon!
No, Joel, memory has nothing to do with it. There are some who have done so much for R/C car racing in their area and are such outstanding modelers, they are hard to forget. You're one of those special people and I'm proud to call you my friend.

Good luck in Singapore and kick some butt.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Granpa-san just for you... Notice the 90 degree rod to servo horn, even length steering rods.

Didn't even notice that plastic steering link piece was cracking causing all sorts of tracking problems. Car tracks straight with even height on both sides of the car. Car's fixed now finally.

Oh, and the rear tires are also not glued on the inside.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hey I have a lipo question. How big can us mini guys go....do they make some kick a** batteries that pump out a lot more juice? What's the highest we can go with a mini?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=sakadachi;14097101

Oh, and the rear tires are also not glued on the inside.[/QUOTE]

I know you can get a little touchy at times so please, this is not to disparage your track or you in any way. From your own specs, your track is 30 feet outside to outside. Allowing for a 2.5 foot lane width at each end, the maximum straightaway length, would be 25 feet. The maximum would be about 20 to 23 feet of full throttle application.

The maximum speed of a Mini with a 20 tooth pinion and a very good stock Silvercan is 22 -23MPH. Now I know from thousands of dyno runs with Silvercan motors, it takes a little over 2 sec for them to spool all the way up on a dyno under load. Probably a little longer in a car. Also know that a time to rpm curve on thee motors is linear.

Now, these are facts and not opinions. If these are all factored in, your car, in all likelihood, is not reaching a maximum speed of 10MPH. At these speeds you could probably get away with running tires glued on just one side. I'm not disputing that, but the overwhelming majority of us run at faster speeds. Unglued tires are not a viable option.

Look, you seem like a decent enough kind of guy, but persisting in this argument will destroy any credibility you have left. I'd hate to see that happen and being that stubborn will do it. I'll have to tell you the story about the 50th monkey one day.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys....I've figured out the lipo thing I beleive. I don't think a 3s is viable for a mini...still up in the air but an 11.1 v battery is a little much for the little 540 sized motor. Anyways....I'm looking at an 8.5turn yeah racing combo from rc mart with a waterproof esc. Has anyone had any experience with these motors or esc's??Seems like a decent deal?? It's a hackmoto sensored brushless setup
Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
I know you can get a little touchy at times so please, this is not to disparage your track or you in any way. From your own specs, your track is 30 feet outside to outside. Allowing for a 2.5 foot lane width at each end, the maximum straightaway length, would be 25 feet. The maximum would be about 20 to 23 feet of full throttle application.

The maximum speed of a Mini with a 20 tooth pinion and a very good stock Silvercan is 22 -23MPH. Now I know from thousands of dyno runs with Silvercan motors, it takes a little over 2 sec for them to spool all the way up on a dyno under load. Probably a little longer in a car. Also know that a time to rpm curve on thee motors is linear.

Now, these are facts and not opinions. If these are all factored in, your car, in all likelihood, is not reaching a maximum speed of 10MPH. At these speeds you could probably get away with running tires glued on just one side. I'm not disputing that, but the overwhelming majority of us run at faster speeds. Unglued tires are not a viable option.

Look, you seem like a decent enough kind of guy, but persisting in this argument will destroy any credibility you have left. I'd hate to see that happen and being that stubborn will do it. I'll have to tell you the story about the 50th monkey one day.
It was just a joke. Lighten up.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
It was just a joke. Lighten up.
Oh, okay. We're kidding around with each other now??????
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I get the feeling you guys sleep even less than I do.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Hey guys....I've figured out the lipo thing I beleive. I don't think a 3s is viable for a mini...still up in the air but an 11.1 v battery is a little much for the little 540 sized motor. Anyways....I'm looking at an 8.5turn yeah racing combo from rc mart with a waterproof esc. Has anyone had any experience with these motors or esc's??Seems like a decent deal?? It's a hackmoto sensored brushless setup
If you're looking at options, most guys in Australia run the Hobbywing 13T EZrun 13T motor. Great little package.

This is a really good and cheap lipo that have used with great success.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ick_Pack_.html

I now run this, as I changed my chassis the V2, and can share these with my touring cars.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html
But it won't fit in a standard M05 chassis.

Last edited by filippimini; 07-16-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by filippimini
If you're looking at options, most guys in Australia run the Hobbywing 13T EZrun 13T motor. Great little package.

This is a really good and cheap lipo that have used with great success.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ick_Pack_.html

I now run this, as I changed my chassis the V2, and can share these with my touring cars.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html
But it won't fit in a standard M05 chassis.
So what I'm looking for in a battery...just to be sure I'm right....is a high mah and C rating. High enough to satisfy the amperage draw of the motor and ensure the esc can also handle the current output to the motor so I don't cook the esc. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.