Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-wh01wi...t-p-16964.html

Hey does anyone have any thoughts on these rims AND I'm not sure IF THEY FIT??? I have a lot of questions right now....I know lol
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Granpa...this one is for you or who ever else has shimizu tire experience. Which of these tires posted would be (in your opinion) the best for my pavement pounding. I want to try the shimizu tires and I was thinking a soft medium. I currently have tamiya 60d slicks on the front and the rear are s grips. It's a decent combination but my ears are still so wet I really have no idea what's decent yet lol...I just figured out the 90 degree servo lol. Any advice will help guys. Budgeting the next shipment in lol.

http://www.rcmart.com/tire-wheel-mch...c-35_1386.html
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Meh, I figured out what was wrong with my M05. Car was handling progressively worse and finally snapped today.

All this time I thought my suspension was screwed up, setup all wrong.
Replaced with a new part (#51390), went ahead and stiffened up the springs and added swaybars to better match the top heavy MonteCarlo Mini body. Car handles well now.

So, I guess I won't need to convert to V2 afterall.

BTW, the tires pictured are not glued on the inside. Just wanted to note. lol
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Meh, I figured out what was wrong with my M05. Car was handling progressively worse and finally snapped today.

Replaced with a new part (#51390), went ahead and stiffened up the springs and added swaybars to better match the top heavy MonteCarlo Mini body. Car handles well now.

Lol!!!!!! No glue LOL!! oh here we go again. Well I'm gluing mine there buddy lol. Now...see the broken peice. That's why I ordered the 3 racing steering linkage. My wiper arm right now has some serious play in it when the servo steers. A lot of flex. Mine is probably close to where you are now lol.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Hey sakadachi....what are those body mounts I see on your car??? Where the clip pins go in?? Looks fancy. I only have a pin there and it looks like you have a body mount or something??
Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Ok. So no we r looking into bodies....I've heard the swift is a preference for some. What is the difference between the bodies driving wise... isn't it just a shell that sits on top and looks nice. What should I watch out for and why.
There are some bodies that just don't work. Is it aero????? Haven't the foggiest. What you should look for to tip you off as to which one will work and which one won't. What makes you think any of the geniuses that frequent this thread will know?????? Obviously Tamiya didn't know when they brought out some of their bodies. And I don't know either.

Here's what I suggest you do. Find a body or bodies you're thinking of trying and ask about that body. Guys who have run that body can tell you what's good or bad.

I'll start cause you asked about the Swift. It looks a little big , but overall a nice body that won't make your car behave funny----;pretty neutral. One thing a lot of people overlook is the fact that this body is easy to paint. You could actually paint this shell and have it on the track in an hour or two. Probably safer to say two.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Granpa
There are some bodies that just don't work. Is it aero????? Haven't the foggiest. What you should look for to tip you off as to which one will work and which one won't. What makes you think any of the geniuses that frequent this thread will know?????? Obviously Tamiya didn't know when they brought out some of their bodies. And I don't know either.

Here's what I suggest you do. Find a body or bodies you're thinking of trying and ask about that body. Guys who have run that body can tell you what's good or bad.

I'll start cause you asked about the Swift. It looks a little big , but overall a nice body that won't make your car behave funny----;pretty neutral. One thing a lot of people overlook is the fact that this body is easy to paint. You could actually paint this shell and have it on the track in an hour or two. Probably safer to say two.
Good advice Granpa. I'm getting a little over excited I think. I'm just looking into the next things I need and that's Def one of them. Hat about the tires....I'm going to try the 3 racing rims (white). Hell...6 bucks for 8 rims. Have to try it
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Hey sakadachi....what are those body mounts I see on your car??? Where the clip pins go in?? Looks fancy. I only have a pin there and it looks like you have a body mount or something??
Those are HPI body post extenders. I'm currently using a M01 Mini body on my M05 and had to adjust the length to get it to fit correctly.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Granpa...this one is for you or who ever else has shimizu tire experience. Which of these tires posted would be (in your opinion) the best for my pavement pounding. I want to try the shimizu tires and I was thinking a soft medium. I currently have tamiya 60d slicks on the front and the rear are s grips. It's a decent combination but my ears are still so wet I really have no idea what's decent yet lol...I just figured out the 90 degree servo lol. Any advice will help guys. Budgeting the next shipment in lol.

http://www.rcmart.com/tire-wheel-mch...c-35_1386.html
I've only ever used the 60D slicks. Those are the 450 series. Since what you are running now are S Grip rears and slick fronts you'll probably like the 456 on the fronts and the 452 in the rear. I like a little more aggressive handling so will use the 454 in front, but then I have to glue the side walls, which I don't think you'll want to do at this stage of the game. Also, do not use the sponge insert that comes with the tire use the Tamiya hard foam.

I have posted this before and the post was in response to a question you asked. I put some time, effort, and thought into this so please read this and tattoo it to the inside of your upper eyelids. It could save you money(Lots of Money), time(lots of time)and frustration(lots of swearing). Open only one bag of tires at a time, finish the gluing to the rims, both side please---got that sakadachi----label them on the inside of the rim. Then and only then do you open the next bag of tires.

Here is why that is important. Once out of the bag, there is no way to tell them apart. If you mix them up, you are totally screwed and the best thing to do is to chuck them out and start over with a new order of tires. I speak from experience having done exactly that.

The 430 series tires are 55d tires which I have no experience with so prefer not to comment. These are 55D slicks and the tires this size that I've used are the Sweeps and the Atomics which I liked a lot. The Sweeps were more forgiving, but the Atomics were faster, but the set up had to be spot on. If you want to use the 55D Shimizus, check out their specs cause they are pretty self explanatory. You might try the ride molded inserts with these or the sweep ones if you want a softer insert.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Good advice Granpa. I'm getting a little over excited I think. I'm just looking into the next things I need and that's Def one of them. Hat about the tires....I'm going to try the 3 racing rims (white). Hell...6 bucks for 8 rims. Have to try it
Rims are hard to evaluate by just looking at a picture. They don't tell you how stiff or flexible the rims are. The other thing you can't tell is how true they are.Now, I'm partial to the Tamiya spoked rims cause they are stiff and are usually fairly true. They don't bend if you whack them a bit. The Tamiya Rover Mini rims are garbage though so don't buy those they will crack. Sometimes with a 55D tire a more flexible rim works better, but I've never ever thought they were better with a 60D tire. I also like white rims cause the permanent marker stands out. I label all my tires except the Tamiya premounts.

So for you we're looking for a stiff, true rim, white in color, not too expensive. Eureka!!!!!! There is one available. Tamiya #51394. My favorite is the Suzuki Swift rim, but they cost a bit more. I liked them when they were made in the fluorescent orange and yellow cause that plastic was super hard. the white plastic is a little softer so they do scrape up easily.

For those who may think my advice is whacky, I'm a racer. Building a scale car makes me yawn. Cars with those pretty little bumper are a joke. I try to paint neat, but your not going to get me to spend hours with masking tape. I've been known to run orange wheels with a red body---I think I won that race. Won a race with black wheels with a blue and yellow body.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi

Right bell crank, every single time. The plastic is too soft and it tweaks. It would be better if the damned thing broke. At least that way you'd know. The smallest little tweak will make the steering or handling if you prefer go crazy and since it's not broken, only the most astute would have a clue. It'll dive one way or the other on braking, squirt off another way on acceleration and be difficult to drive straight.

By the time you get it figured out, your set up will be so messed up from all the adjustments-------Been there done that. Now you know why I'm adamant about metal steering set ups.

Also noticed you"re not using the option shock tower and a ton of toe out. Try a little less toe and put the shock in the second hole of the shock tower. I think you'll like the quicker steering and the tighter turs this set up will give you.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Right bell crank, every single time. The plastic is too soft and it tweaks. It would be better if the damned thing broke. At least that way you'd know. The smallest little tweak will make the steering or handling if you prefer go crazy and since it's not broken, only the most astute would have a clue. It'll dive one way or the other on braking, squirt off another way on acceleration and be difficult to drive straight.

By the time you get it figured out, your set up will be so messed up from all the adjustments-------Been there done that. Now you know why I'm adamant about metal steering set ups.
Granpa-san, agreed. It was making no sense while trying to figure out my car. It works fine when not cracked though.

Thanks on the shocks tower tip too. Will check it out.

Btw, I love my Rover Mini wheels and scale bumpers and such. It excites me.

Last edited by sakadachi; 07-15-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hi,
I don't post here much anymore, too many opinionated souls for me.

Best rims for me using both 60D and 55D tyres has been the Cross white or black rims and the sweep rims. This is for asphelt racing. On carpet they are also very good but I do like the Tamiya swift rims. On carpet for us, Tamiya M grips front and rear with firm Tamiya insert with inserts glued together or if you can get them, use the Pit Shimizu firm one piece hard foams.

I like the sweep 55D tyres on asphelt, using 40 or 33 on the front and 25 rear. The best 55D rear tyre for cooler weather is the Pit Shimizu rear only slick tyre. Works in the wet and dry. Rear end never lets go. Use a 5mm spice medium insert and your set. Warmer weather use a spice 28 with the same insert.

Where I run the Ride Inch ups are our spec tyre and we have changed our setups to work with these. I have found when I change my car to the above tyres the only adjustment I make is to change my ride height and that is all.

I have run a Tamiya TCS race once in Thailand and it was open Tamiya 60D tyres. The tyre of choice was the Tamiys S grip with firm insert. Ran new pair on the front and worn on the rear. This was the ticket for a very high grip track, which had been suger coated. The track was RC Addict in Bangkok and if you ever get a chance to run there it is a worthwhile experience.

On carpet I also turn down my steering throw. But thats all. I agree with Granpa about using alloy steering and a front shock tower. However each to there own.

Bodies, I like the Blitz C30 Volvo in swb and the Blitz VW GTI in mwb. However this comes back to personnal preference and lots of testing. The Swift is good, just not as good as the GTI for me. I do not run to Tamiya TCS rules.

Anyway my thoughts,
Later,
50 cal

Last edited by caltek1; 07-15-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: xtra text
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

I've only ever used the 60D slicks. Those are the 450 series. Since what you are running now are S Grip rears and slick fronts you'll probably like the 456 on the fronts and the 452 in the rear. I like a little more aggressive handling so will use the 454 in front, but then I have to glue the side walls, which I don't think you'll want to do at this stage of the game. Also, do not use the sponge insert that comes with the tire use the Tamiya hard foam.

I have posted this before and the post was in response to a question you asked. I put some time, effort, and thought into this so please read this and tattoo it to the inside of your upper eyelids. It could save you money(Lots of Money), time(lots of time)and frustration(lots of swearing). Open only one bag of tires at a time, finish the gluing to the rims, both side please---got that sakadachi----label them on the inside of the rim. Then and only then do you open the next bag of tires.

Here is why that is important. Once out of the bag, there is no way to tell them apart. If you mix them up, you are totally screwed and the best thing to do is to chuck them out and start over with a new order of tires. I speak from experience having done exactly that.

The 430 series tires are 55d tires which I have no experience with so prefer not to comment. These are 55D slicks and the tires this size that I've used are the Sweeps and the Atomics which I liked a lot. The Sweeps were more forgiving, but the Atomics were faster, but the set up had to be spot on. If you want to use the 55D Shimizus, check out their specs cause they are pretty self explanatory. You might try the ride molded inserts with these or the sweep ones if you want a softer insert.
Ya I remember the post before. Just didn't remember what page. Good advice on the bags opening one at a time lol. Ok 2 more questions. 1. What is the difference between 55D and 60D..
2. And how important is the foam insert and why not use the one supplied?

P.s I screen saved the information this time so I it's saved for good. Thanks Granpa. ....gluing the wheels on both sides also....LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.