Wiki Posts
Search

Fukuyama Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDXray
I think if your leaving them for a long time you charge them up for like 1000secs and then store them i might be wrong someone should double check me.

Jon
Define a long time. I've discharged cells down to 5.4v and let them sit that way for 4 months. I've charged them up, woken em up and they rock just like new. I would say 6+ months you might want to store them with some charge, but tests have shown that cells perform slightly better left without charge. (by that, I mean 5.4v discharge than store)

These NiMH cells are acting like NiCD, but NiCD likes to sit at 0.0v where NiMH likes to be discharged to 5.4v then sit.

Hope this helps some confusion.

JF
Old 11-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jkerr0043
The old 3000's you wanted to store with 2/3 to a full charge in them. But the newer cells will loose runtime and power if you do this. Howard also made a good point about taking bars off of the cells during long storage. This will keep them from drawing off each other.

True that buddy... we're on the same page

The only problem with removing bat bars is that you're heating the core cell up again and possibly risk the damaging the cell and you might not have a good solder joint once you go to re-apply the bar. I would suggest if you go this route, you suck all the old solder off the contacts before you store them. This way, you have a nice clean surface to work with again. This same procedure applies if you send cells back to Fukuyama HQ please!

John
Old 11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by John Fontaine
Define a long time. I've discharged cells down to 5.4v and let them sit that way for 4 months. I've charged them up, woken em up and they rock just like new. I would say 6+ months you might want to store them with some charge, but tests have shown that cells perform slightly better left without charge. (by that, I mean 5.4v discharge than store)

These NiMH cells are acting like NiCD, but NiCD likes to sit at 0.0v where NiMH likes to be discharged to 5.4v then sit.

Hope this helps some confusion.

JF
Well there you have it, sorry for confusion, and thanks for clearing it up John.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default Best Wishes!

JDXray - No problem, that's what I'm here for.

Daniel - Just wanted to give my thanks for a great talk today. Good luck with everything tomorrow bro. I'll be thinking about you. Best wishes from Carrie and I.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Need to bring the best batteries back to the top.

Good luck racing this weekend guys!

John
Old 11-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

When is the new stuff coming out? I need some new batteries.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

all i can say is that FUKUYAMAS are the best. Today i couldnt finishing up charging my packs for my run, so i took it off at aroun 2400mAh and i still was getting tons of punch and still took 1st. THANKS!! and keep the work up. Also the ETA on new cells

Jon
Old 11-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Glad to hear you're doing well with them.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Question

Hey guys,

I found this interesting thing today. A friend of mine put together two set's of 6 cell battery packs from another matcher. I used my pro trak to cycle his packs and found that the two cells on the ends of both packs lacked in voltage during the discharge. I used the monitoring leads of the charger and saw that average voltage is .06 to .08 lower than the other 4 cells............This was consistant on both packs. Do you think it could be that he had to solder his battery bars to the positive and neg. for hard wiring? Could have been the extra heat that those cells recieved during soldering?

Let me know what you guys think.

ronnie
Old 11-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Question

Originally posted by picco007
Hey guys,

I found this interesting thing today. A friend of mine put together two set's of 6 cell battery packs from another matcher. I used my pro trak to cycle his packs and found that the two cells on the ends of both packs lacked in voltage during the discharge. I used the monitoring leads of the charger and saw that average voltage is .06 to .08 lower than the other 4 cells............This was consistant on both packs. Do you think it could be that he had to solder his battery bars to the positive and neg. for hard wiring? Could have been the extra heat that those cells recieved during soldering?

Let me know what you guys think.

ronnie
That's more than likely what happened. If you don't have a hot enough iron and have to leave the iron on the wire to solder to the battery bar for more than a second or two the heat is going right into the cell.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

i'm thinking of getting a battery zapper and i was wondering on how often do you zap cells for maintenance? is it possible to zap a cell more than once? does it really help? what can it contribute?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fu|| thrott|e
i'm thinking of getting a battery zapper and i was wondering on how often do you zap cells for maintenance? is it possible to zap a cell more than once? does it really help? what can it contribute?
I'll let the pro's answer this.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fu|| thrott|e
If you have to ask these questions, then I would say you're not ready for a battery zapper. Zapping a battery is very dangerous. If you do not know how to do it correctly it can lead to batteries leaking or even exploding.

Fukuyama has patented one of a kind battery zappers. No one in the industry has them. Do not to try and copy what Fukuyama has done so far. Most likely you'll just end up just wasting money on cells that you have destroyed.

Let Fukuyama provide the matched and zapped cells. Not only will it be cheaper for you, but you'll have years and years of research and a finished product in your hands without the headache!

www.fukuyamaracing.com for more info.

John
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Daniel/Stephen,

Ran the batteries Sunday and as always unbelieveable. Thanks again!

Hope everything is going well with the little one Big Daddy Dan!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Kuddo's with what Rob said. Thanks for everything Dan and Stephen.

Expect to see Dan posting at 2am now with his baby in his arms trying to get him back to sleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.