Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell what to look for in a pipe.
I have the 710 with a stock Rex RER3 and a RB mods Rex RER3. I was running
a Skyline racing pipe but it got beat up pretty bad this weekend, so I want to try something else now. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro rookie
a Skyline racing pipe but it got beat up pretty bad this weekend, so I want to try something else now. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
keep the Skyline pipe , just fill it up with water and put it over night in the freezer, it will be almost as good as new.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nitro rookie
Thanks
You could try Nova varients of the inline pipes... You cannot go wrong with that.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
What is the difference between the red soft shock bladders and the oem black ones?
going4#1 and jag are correct. Red is softer than black. I find the red more consistent.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RoyU
What's wrong with the 16t pinion?
Meshing problem with the 61T spur. But I think that has already improved with the new batch of silver coloured 16T pinions. No problems so far with my 16T/61T combo.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
Yes, my lone handling issue is that rear will tend to swing out if I get on the gas too quick coming out of the corner.
If you're having this problem when running the front diff, then tightening the front diff will give you the stability like what Julius has mentioned.

Please make sure that the front or rear diff is built correctly in the first place and make sure that they do not slip. Refer to Julius' article on building the diffs correctly.

Originally Posted by jag
I have also read that people are having problems with the 16t gear. What do you think?
No problems here. Mesh it slightly tighter. You should be ok.

[QUOTE=jag]I made a mistake last time out by tightening both diffs at the same time. If 0 = no collar and 10 = locked, then I had the front around 7 and the rear around 6. Does that make any sense? I didn't like it there so I went down to around 5 front and 3 rear.

Try a front diff setting of about 6 to 7 and a rear diff setting of about 2 or 3 as a relative comparison.

Originally Posted by jag
- put grub screws in the flyweights
I suggest NOT to try this... But if you have a lot of time in your hands, you could give it a go. No promises on clutch improvement in the long run.

Originally Posted by jag
Now is a good time for me to experiment since the track is new and we only practice right now. Racing should start in a few weeks. I need all the help I can get. I am the lone Serpent so far and I am surrounded by *spit* Mugens.
In Florida? I find that difficult to believe...

Originally Posted by jag
Are you saying that a photograph on myTSN would be "doctored"?
Who would do such a thing?
Oh, they will let you see what you need to see and doctor it for those that you need not have to see. (j/k)
Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it would be great if there is a tool to measure the tightness on the diff.
i found one way to measure it: measure the gap with some calipers that is in the diff clamp. How tighter the diff, how smaller the gap on the clamp.
It's not perfect, but i as a rookie driver i do'nt have the experience to feel if the diff is set right.

But a real tool for it can be made i think. just have something you can attach at the place where the wheels normally go. And than you turn the diff and the device measures the amount op power needed to turn it one full cycle.
Something like that could work i think.

but i also got a question. I recently bought a new set of shocks because of breaking both front shocks. With the old ones i just fill them till the top, screw the lid on and the excessive oil will bleed out. But when i do that with the new ones, they are still too full, i can't compress them.
So then i just filled them halfway but than they are full of air, so how to fill the shocks correctly? The only change with the old shocks is that i now got the red bladders in them.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
it would be great if there is a tool to measure the tightness on the diff.
i found one way to measure it: measure the gap with some calipers that is in the diff clamp. How tighter the diff, how smaller the gap on the clamp.
It's not perfect, but i as a rookie driver i do'nt have the experience to feel if the diff is set right.

But a real tool for it can be made i think. just have something you can attach at the place where the wheels normally go. And than you turn the diff and the device measures the amount op power needed to turn it one full cycle.
Something like that could work i think.
I think a torque wrench would work.. just put it on the wheel nut, and hold one wheel, then just see when the torque wrench slips... but.. then again.. torque wrenches are expensive, and do they make them that small with that such small presure changes?

ReneC help us out here, make something :P
Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
but i also got a question. I recently bought a new set of shocks because of breaking both front shocks. With the old ones i just fill them till the top, screw the lid on and the excessive oil will bleed out. But when i do that with the new ones, they are still too full, i can't compress them.
So then i just filled them halfway but than they are full of air, so how to fill the shocks correctly? The only change with the old shocks is that i now got the red bladders in them.
Push the piston halfway in the shock and then screw on the cap...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:02 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
keep the Skyline pipe , just fill it up with water and put it over night in the freezer, it will be almost as good as new.
Be careful if you do this. I wrap some zip ties around it and check on it every hour. If you leave it too long it can split the pipe.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
I think a torque wrench would work.. just put it on the wheel nut, and hold one wheel, then just see when the torque wrench slips... but.. then again.. torque wrenches are expensive, and do they make them that small with that such small presure changes?

ReneC help us out here, make something :P
I think you are on to something here. You can get a torque wrench that measures in in/lbs and that would probably work. I may pick one up and see if it works.

jag
Old 08-30-2005, 07:21 AM
jag
Tech Master

[QUOTE=InitialD]If you're having this problem when running the front diff, then tightening the front diff will give you the stability like what Julius has mentioned.

Please make sure that the front or rear diff is built correctly in the first place and make sure that they do not slip. Refer to Julius' article on building the diffs correctly.

Originally Posted by jag
I made a mistake last time out by tightening both diffs at the same time. If 0 = no collar and 10 = locked, then I had the front around 7 and the rear around 6. Does that make any sense? I didn't like it there so I went down to around 5 front and 3 rear.

Try a front diff setting of about 6 to 7 and a rear diff setting of about 2 or 3 as a relative comparison.

I suggest NOT to try this... But if you have a lot of time in your hands, you could give it a go. No promises on clutch improvement in the long run.

In Florida? I find that difficult to believe...

Oh, they will let you see what you need to see and doctor it for those that you need not have to see. (j/k)

I will experiment with tightening the front diff alone to see how it effects the rear bite. I believe that the diffs are built correctly. They did not slip when I built them but I may pull them out to check. Is Julius' article in the FAQ?

I'm not going to mess with the gearing just yet. I rebuilt the clutch, again, yesterday. I did cut, drill and screw the flyweights (what a pain) and I switched to a black clutch. The yellow clutch was wearing very badly. It has been very hot out and I have yellow particles all over my car after every run. The yellow clutch also wore unevenly. I didn't notice any wobble in the assembly. I replaced all of it anyway.

Believe it or not, Mugen is very popular around here. There are 3 guys that I have racing against that all have them.

Thanks,
jag
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jag
I think you are on to something here. You can get a torque wrench that measures in in/lbs and that would probably work. I may pick one up and see if it works.

jag

well, try it, let us know if it works.. it might be a good base to start developing a real tool for this...
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=jag]
Originally Posted by InitialD
If you're having this problem when running the front diff, then tightening the front diff will give you the stability like what Julius has mentioned.

I will experiment with tightening the front diff alone to see how it effects the rear bite. I believe that the diffs are built correctly. They did not slip when I built them but I may pull them out to check. Is Julius' article in the FAQ?

I'm not going to mess with the gearing just yet. I rebuilt the clutch, again, yesterday. I did cut, drill and screw the flyweights (what a pain) and I switched to a black clutch. The yellow clutch was wearing very badly. It has been very hot out and I have yellow particles all over my car after every run. The yellow clutch also wore unevenly. I didn't notice any wobble in the assembly. I replaced all of it anyway.

Believe it or not, Mugen is very popular around here. There are 3 guys that I have racing against that all have them.

Thanks,
jag

I noticed that the diff get's a little loser when you just had build it and raced it.... so, it might slip now.....

also, don't try to many things in once, with what you have done with the clutch, nice, but don't push alll the options at once
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
well, try it, let us know if it works.. it might be a good base to start developing a real tool for this...
I will let you know but it will only help if someone else (who knows what they are doing... D or Julius) has one also. Otherwise I won't have anything to compare it to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.