Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by s8n
A simple explanation is that the preload will determine the engagement rpm and the gap will determine the force applied to the bell.

The bigger the gap the futher out the centrifugal shoes move and therefore more force. The same effect can be gained by heavier shoes.

The gap is usually reduced however if heavier(grubscrews etc) shoes are installed, to prevent excessive force being applied to the thrust bearing.
You're right but remember also that there is a point of diminishing returns. Too much of one thing makes it worse.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jag
The clutch just seems soft. It's like 1st gear was not very responsive but 2nd gear was fine. The yellow shoe is definetely being sanded. I wore a yellow shoe out in 5 tanks.

So you decrease the gap as you increase the tension (preload)? This makes the clutch more responsive? If so, how far do you go on both?

Thanks,
jag
When my engine was powerfull enough to overcome the 1.2~1.6mm clutch tension (centax2 spring), I never use more than .5 mm clutch gap.
More than that, i was immediately feels there is empty spot on my finger.
So, what i do 1st is set the gap then play with tension.

Sn8, you are absolutely right about the force explanation.
On centax2 (705) that theory is correct more gap = more punch somehow on centax3 like uncle Sow mentioned there is limit on that.
And the limit is very tight (remember when we are using black shoe on centax3) that makes Centax3 is very unique comparing to others 1/10 centax system.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by paulfitipauldi
I had the same problem like RyoU,, does this new 16T pinion have a new part #??,, or just , I have to pay attention to the silver color??,, thanks for the help , always apreciated!!
Hi Paul, it's the same part number if I'm not wrong. Serpent always makes running changes to their parts and retain the same part numbering system.

Yes, the colour is silver. Not bronze / brown or black in colour which is the old one. But don't worry too much. Almost all the stock in the shops should already have the newer silver coloured ones.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
Hi bro..just sharing.
If the clutch engange a bit then slip on mid throttle, it because the clutch gap is too big. With heavy tension >1.2mm, 0.7-0.8mm clutch gap is too big already.
And it caused the yellow shoe being sanded and yellow dust all over the centax ass'y.
Bro, to tell you the truth, I have actually not much experience changing to the new yellow clutch shoes because I've only changed it once from the stock original black one ! It's still the same old yellow shoes I'm using when it first came out.

Anyway, I did remember the yellow dust coming out when I first installed it. Perhaps when the yellow shoes are new, the surface is a little soft. Now after much usage, the yellow shoes surface is very hard. Maybe when it's new, it needs some kind of a running in period before it works correctly.

I may need to get and change the yellow shoe and see if the same thing happens...
Old 08-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by s8n
The gap is usually reduced however if heavier(grubscrews etc) shoes are installed, to prevent excessive force being applied to the thrust bearing.
That's why the idea of reducing end play after the clutch is installed is very important. Less end play (0.1mm or so), you make the axial force more bearable for the thrust bearing. If there's a lot of end play, the thrust bearing will be susceptible to failure even at lower axial force.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
I have heard that Art C. didn't recommend using the yellow clutch during the summer in S. Fla. because of the heat.
No idea on that but the heat here in Malaysia is definitely hotter than in FL. I find the yellow shoes grip better but then not necessarily better for low traction tracks. High traction would be best because most power from the engine gets efficiently transferred to the wheels.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
I wore a yellow shoe out in 5 tanks.
How do you mean when you say you wore out the clutch shoes? The shoes not usable anymore? If that's the case, then something is definitely wrong.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
I still don't know why the clutch shoe was worn unevenly.
Strange. It sounds like either you have a lot of end play that makes the clutch bell wobbly or that the clutch bell itself is warped !

I've warped about 2 clutch bells already due to operator error. You increase the chances of warping the clutch bell when you do not use the right tools to hold the clutch bell when opening / locking the pinions.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
i rebuilded the shocks like initialD sad and they work great now, so thx dude
i'm gonna tested it out tomorrow on the Heemstede track.
NP. Just make sure the shocks are not leaking from the top (which means the rubber membrane is not seated correctly) or if it's leaking from the bottom side (which means either you forgot to lock in the bottom side cap or that the small o ring is busted).
Old 08-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Benzoil
Cleaning up the missus before next wknd s outing and I'm struggling to make this front diff function smoothly. I 've just installed the front diff and pro wheelaxles and the bugger still jams at max wheel lock. What kind of spacers are you guys using to remedy this and where are you placing them? Cheers
When you say it jams at max wheel lock, you mean the dogbones get stuck halfway out and in the wheelaxles, right? And that your steering cannot move to return to neutral position, right?

The idea is NOT to let the steering servo travel at full lock if possible. Look at somewhere else in the setup if you require more turn in.

What front trackwidth are you running?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Clutch Shoes

Originally Posted by InitialD
How do you mean when you say you wore out the clutch shoes? The shoes not usable anymore? If that's the case, then something is definitely wrong.
I've wore out a yellow clutch shoe before.......A run away car and the marshal step on the car to catch it and hold it down for awhile to burn up the shoe. LOL
Now I have a red shoe and love it!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
Now I have a red shoe and love it!!
Red rulon shoes?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Is there such a thing as red clucth shoes for 710???
Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Red Clutch Shoe!?!?

There is one however, it's who you know to how to get one.

Delta only made a limited supply for a special order.... not sure how many are left up for grabs
Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got my red clutch shoes from Motorman. Don't know if he has any left

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.