Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TA05MS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

how many hits/races before you rebuild your diffs?

Mine lasted up to aprx 15 hits (5mins/race) 20 hits became a little to notchy.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I found this thrust bearing. It's from JAAD Racing and is ceramic nitride. I couldn't find where to buy it on the net though.

http://www.jaadracing.com/
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ittjv
I found this thrust bearing. It's from JAAD Racing and is ceramic nitride. I couldn't find where to buy it on the net though.

http://www.jaadracing.com/
According to Ed (Tryhard) Clarks website Precision RC is the place to go http://www.precisionrc.com. However, I didn't see any reference to the thrust bearing.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomie
how many hits/races before you rebuild your diffs?

Mine lasted up to aprx 15 hits (5mins/race) 20 hits became a little to notchy.
depends..... I'm running a 3.5 brushless on asphalt with nitro foams.... 5 5min runs tops.... but I have put the JAAD carbon stickers on the pulley on this last rebuild and I've run 6 and it is still smooth!! let's see if I can make 12....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what's the stock ride height in the manual? I tried to set my 05ms at stock settings. what's your ride height in stock setting? My 05ms front ride height is about 2mm and the rear is 5mm. i dont think its normal.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by peejay
According to Ed (Tryhard) Clarks website Precision RC is the place to go http://www.precisionrc.com. However, I didn't see any reference to the thrust bearing.
That looks like a new product, so I wonder if precision have got hold of it yet.... maybe worth emailing them regarding the avaliability.

Regards
Ed
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

depends..... I'm running a 3.5 brushless on asphalt with nitro foams.... 5 5min runs tops.... but I have put the JAAD carbon stickers on the pulley on this last rebuild and I've run 6 and it is still smooth!! let's see if I can make 12....
oh ok thanks Im running 13.5 and i thought it was to quick to rebuild a diff after 10-15 hits. Because I run my car 8-9 Times including practice (5mins run) in one race day. This is getting a little to expensive hehe
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
what's the stock ride height in the manual? I tried to set my 05ms at stock settings. what's your ride height in stock setting? My 05ms front ride height is about 2mm and the rear is 5mm. i dont think its normal.
I never see any mention to stock ride height on the manual... I run mine 5.5mm front 6mm rear...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

oh ok thanks Im running 13.5 and i thought it was to quick to rebuild a diff after 10-15 hits. Because I run my car 8-9 Times including practice (5mins run) in one race day. This is getting a little to expensive hehe
Last sunday we run the car 3 classification rounds and 3 finals. the diff is still ok with the diff cover. last time I've run without it, in the last final the diff felt gritty and not smooth... and Either you have 2 spare diffs, or you don't have time to rebuild it.... I hope I can run at least two race days plus some practice with the covers.... it all depends on how dirt is your track... hehehe
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

what do you do exactly when you rebuild your diff? replace all the parts? i only replace the rings if BOTH sides of the diff rings have a groove already. if i do replace the diff rings, i replace the diff balls also.

for club racing when i rebuild a diff, i just clean everything, regrease, check the rings, (if worn, flip them over). and adjust it. thats it.

i'm not sure how that is making it expensive?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the rings can be reused many times. I use 400 grit sandpaper to sand the groove off. I put the ring on the diff halve that doesn't have the protrusion on it, then use that as a holder to hold the ring in place as I move it in a circular motion on a piece of 400 grit sand paper on a flat surface. 600 works too. That also gives the diff balls more of a grippable surface so you don't have to tighten your diff as tightly. That puts less stress on your diff balls and thrust bearing.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

In the past, I always skipped this part, but this really helps with smooth diff action. Now Im a believer.

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
the rings can be reused many times. I use 400 grit sandpaper to sand the groove off. I put the ring on the diff halve that doesn't have the protrusion on it, then use that as a holder to hold the ring in place as I move it in a circular motion on a piece of 400 grit sand paper on a flat surface. 600 works too. That also gives the diff balls more of a grippable surface so you don't have to tighten your diff as tightly. That puts less stress on your diff balls and thrust bearing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

what do you do exactly when you rebuild your diff? replace all the parts? i only replace the rings if BOTH sides of the diff rings have a groove already. if i do replace the diff rings, i replace the diff balls also.

for club racing when i rebuild a diff, i just clean everything, regrease, check the rings, (if worn, flip them over). and adjust it. thats it.

i'm not sure how that is making it expensive?
hehe Im just thinking all the other cost like tires and diff rebuild cost every wkend.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hehe Im just thinking all the other cost like tires and diff rebuild cost every wkend.
i only rebuild my diff id say after 20 runs? tires.. i run them "6" times in race conditions before they become practice tires. since ive limited myself to one car and brushless.. all my $$$ goes to tires now.

lipo will help also when i get back into that. im just waiting until my current nimh packs finally die on me.

can't wait for Sat. BCR! stock here i come. got lots of things to try with my 05MS.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
don't use the stock suspension setup... It is very low, as in too low... And yeah, the front is really higher than the rear if you're going to put it on stock manual setup... Always make your starting setup (or point) to 5.5mm rear and 5mm in front... Like what sir al said...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.