Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=414MPH;6947332]
Originally Posted by Scottrik
To carry your inaccurate synopsis a bit further...what kind of piece of $hit did Tekin create that it can't beat the GTB in a straight-up fight? =QUOTE]

Scott,

Why do you feel the need to be so abraisive? Even I bristled at this statement and I have been know to be a bit abraisive myself in local circles.

Are the kids more difficult to handle at school lately? Do you run out of hot water mid shower this morning? Did you dog run off with the neighborhood cat? Did someone "P" in your cheerios?

Ever since the Holliday break you have been a bit hard on USVTA folks here. Just a friendly bit of advise from someone who has personally crossed the line in the past. You need to back it down a notch or two Scott.

I know you don't mean to be mean.

Please take the previous as friendly advise. You have very valid opinions and advice, but your tone has the effect of diminishing your important messages.

I have learned, sometime it is best to decide if you are furthering the discussion or just 'back away from the keyboard' .

You friend.... Marty
Roooobbbbbb!!!!!!!....ppl are not playing nice!!!...Im telling on all yall...wait till Rob finds out...you'll going be in so much trouble...man you wont get your toys back for a month
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

ford GT body, my local track will let us use them. So how well do they hold up? I just found out that I have to re-enforce my Cuda. Not that I have eny thing against doing this. But it seems that it will add a lot of weight to the car. I was going to do the Cuda with a light coat of shoe gue and then some 2 part epoxy. what do you guys think? How do you guys re-enforce your body's (first person that says dont hit eny thing should be sack tapp'd, hehehehe)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

I shoe glue them all...Mustangs,Cudas, Camaro, Lambos, Vettes...ect..the little weight only helps imo
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flat4
How do you guys re-enforce your body's
I use drywall repair mesh and ShooGoo. The mesh makes it much harder for the body to tear as well as provides a bit more "body".

The mesh has a light adhesive so it can be stuck to the body, then I smear liberal quantities of ShooGoo over it. Be careful how hard you press because moving the mesh around combined with the solvents in the ShooGoo will "erase" paint and make a mess. Get the mesh good and tacked down with the 'Goo then come back to get a finished even coating out to the edges.

I also use this method to attach "undercut" body pieces like the rear bumper/valance on the HPI Mustangs and 'Cuda and I've never had one come loose.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flat4
ford GT body, my local track will let us use them. So how well do they hold up? I just found out that I have to re-enforce my Cuda. Not that I have eny thing against doing this. But it seems that it will add a lot of weight to the car. I was going to do the Cuda with a light coat of shoe gue and then some 2 part epoxy. what do you guys think? How do you guys re-enforce your body's (first person that says dont hit eny thing should be sack tapp'd, hehehehe)
Don't worry about a little Shoo Goo weight in VTA. It isn't a factor at all. Shoo Goo by itself... or with a little drywall tape or body mesh... or gap filling insulation... or anything you can come up with to make the body last a little longer.

And a little tip on shoo goo if you didn't know... keep your finger wet when putting on the body. It will go on smoother and won't stick your finger as easily. Once it starts sticking to your finger... switch fingers.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
...Once it starts sticking to your finger... switch fingers.
Good all around advice to survive many of life's challenges.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Don't worry about a little Shoo Goo weight in VTA. It isn't a factor at all. Shoo Goo by itself... or with a little drywall tape or body mesh... or gap filling insulation... or anything you can come up with to make the body last a little longer.

And a little tip on shoo goo if you didn't know... keep your finger wet when putting on the body. It will go on smoother and won't stick your finger as easily. Once it starts sticking to your finger... switch fingers.
+1

I'm also experimenting with Gorilla tape in a few of the rub spots with good results so far. I also use it on the front bumper of my Pegasus Mustangs

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Good all around advice to survive many of life's challenges.
Oh my...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Once it starts sticking to your finger... switch fingers.
I was going to say... "Yeah, that's what she said."
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Assuming the specs are correct in on the article, looks like Speed Passion has an entry for USVTA style racing:

http://www.redrc.net/2010/02/speed-p...club-race-esc/

New from Speed Passion, the Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC and motor combos finally give stock and spec class racers the fair competition they have asked for and all at an incredibly low price. The new systems are ideal for both big race spec handout systems and small club spec racing where equal performance and low cost are a must to grow new classes and attract new racers. The ESCs feature only brake strength and drag brake force as programmable options. All other performance parameters are fixed and there is no USB altering or updating capability in order to deliver the same consistent power for everyone.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the price is competitive with Novak, I don't see why could not be added to the rules... lets see what happens.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Striving to exude all the humility and respect one can muster in a posting that asks a question of a question, as the case may be:

The release regarding the Speed Passion "spec" esc states very clearly that the performance parameters are "fixed", but it does not indicate the level at which they are fixed. I'm certainly no expert (merely a humble lay person) but it would seem fairly easy to "fix" the performance at some level of, say, timing advance or with some amount of what has become known as "turbo".

I am by no means suggesting that the folks at Speed Passion are attempting anything underhanded, I am just looking at this product as-described in the release. They describe it as a low-cost spec controller, as such are they saying that it would be (and very well may be) "spec" in the sense that if everybody is using it the spec is equal or are they saying that it would be ideal to meet the intent of a series like VTA where there are limited alternative esc's. I'm guessing the GTB, Havoc, etc don't have any advance, and certainly not dynamic advance...what I would be interested in seeing would be if the Speed Passion unit matches those parameters or not.

Those are questions that I would think have to be answered as any new (or re-purposed) esc is contemplated for addition.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default vta bodies

I like the parma cuda myself, best thing i did was to put a third post behind the scoop made all the difference.And as far a weight goes i ran the whole hurricane series at 1569 grams like whoa im a sled but i guess the weight helps handling plus the cuda is i think the shortest body but it is a little bit taller than the pegasus shells....but hey thats just my opinion
Jc oaks
Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

TRANS-AM RALLY 1000 MONEY RACE
Thunder RC Raceway in Nashville,TN
Sunday Feburary 28, 2010

Race Specification:
- Five, 10 minute mains
- Two man team
- Classes will include VTA and Jr TA
- Laps added for each team memeber for total laps

Money/Cash Payout:
$150- 1st
$75 - 2nd
$40 - 3rd

CONCOURSE WINNER RECIEVES EXTRA 10 POINT IN THE SERIES!!!!

RULES for the event:
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

NO BOOST/TURBO/ADVANCE TIMMING ALLOWED

Format:
-racers can pick their own partners
-only 2 team members are needed
-random drawing qualifier will determine starting order
-re-sort after every round
-heads up Lemans start for every main
-round 1-4 will have both team members racing, and getting laps
-the final 10 min main will have 1 driver from each team,the other member will marshall
-laps will be added up to determine the winners

example....

Round 1
Team A: racer 1 with 23 laps, racer 2 with 25=48 laps for Team A
Team B: racer 1 with 25 laps, racer 2 with 26=51 laps for Team B

so Team B will start on the pole/1st in next round

Round 5/Main
the team will pick which driver will represent the team in the final 10 min main, the other member will marshall the race

ALL THE LAPS WILL BE ADDED FROM RD 1-5 TO DETERMINE THE WINNERS!!!

$15 ENTRY FEE....FOR ALOT OF TRACK TIME!!!!

Touring Car and 12th Scale are welcome to run on this day as well....

SPONSORED BY KRC & TRC

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 02-04-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Another alternative to drywall or body mesh is to use Kevlar from a deployed air bag. It is strong and the best part is the local body shop gave the deployed air bag canister away for free. Just cut the bag off and throw the canister in the trash.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Company Representative

You are correct to question fixed specs; one concern with spec products would be that they are all built to the same specifications. For instance timing can be added not only through PC adjustments, but also can be designed into the resident micro firmware.

A spec controller with a a small amount of built-in timing----say 5% or 10%---will have a significant advantage over speed controls designed with no timing and this may not be detectable.

As I have said before (many, many times....), the best solution for a spec controller would be manufacturers' offering stand alone, non-timing, non PC programmable escs. The manufacturers would be responsible (and accountable) for assuring customers and series directors that the controllers conforms to these rules.

This is definitely do-able. Other than USVTA, and maybe a few other series, "decision makers" are unwilling to decide. Lacking direction, the R/C industry is engineering its own demise. We, here at Novak, are definitely willing and capable of working toward this spec equipment goal.

Our dedication to this spec product segment should be obvious; we have been offering affordable, spec products/systems for well over a year. There is a simple solution--the spec products are available. But, there a lack of decisiveness.

All ROAR would have to do is set aside certain "spec/stock" events that require escs with the parameters outlined above, and mfgs could compete (within these guidelines) by offering the best products and after market parts and service for the price.

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Striving to exude all the humility and respect one can muster in a posting that asks a question of a question, as the case may be:

The release regarding the Speed Passion "spec" esc states very clearly that the performance parameters are "fixed", but it does not indicate the level at which they are fixed. I'm certainly no expert (merely a humble lay person) but it would seem fairly easy to "fix" the performance at some level of, say, timing advance or with some amount of what has become known as "turbo".

I am by no means suggesting that the folks at Speed Passion are attempting anything underhanded, I am just looking at this product as-described in the release. They describe it as a low-cost spec controller, as such are they saying that it would be (and very well may be) "spec" in the sense that if everybody is using it the spec is equal or are they saying that it would be ideal to meet the intent of a series like VTA where there are limited alternative esc's. I'm guessing the GTB, Havoc, etc don't have any advance, and certainly not dynamic advance...what I would be interested in seeing would be if the Speed Passion unit matches those parameters or not.

Those are questions that I would think have to be answered as any new (or re-purposed) esc is contemplated for addition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.