Search
Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eevul
I measured my front spacers tonight and I have 2mm underneath the knuckles and 3.5mm above. I'm using CRC F1 tires and my ride height in the front is 4.4mm (using a Hudy ride height gauge).
So with the 3.5mm above, that’s giving you more droop I bet.
I put the 1.5mm ride height spacers in and I’m still pretty high. I ordered more but was thinking of doing this same thing. Should also help with more steering.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes, I had a bit of droop but took it out this weekend as I was racing on black CRC carpet. I put another .5mm shim in on the top and had little to no droop. I took the TQ and win at the local 3 day event (http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...r-3-4-5-a.html) that we had this weekend. We only had 5 F1 drivers but the field consisted of some very talented drivers.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I heard there will be a new car before Christmas.

Has anyone seen or know of any more details.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fredp1
I heard there will be a new car before Christmas.

Has anyone seen or know of any more details.
I haven't heard anything but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The FXM is a wicked fast car. I took another TQ and win this past weekend at the Kelowna leg of the WCICS series. Results are http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...h-26th-aaa.pdf .

Running 2 year old CRC tires and first gen Motiv.

By the way, has anyone tried the Volante tires on this car? I have tried them but they don't seem to work very well for me on black carpet. The car either traction rolls or spins out. If I over sauce the rears (if I leave the sauce on more than 5 minutes), they get really soft and end up acting like lint rollers and picking up the carpet fibers and then my car just spins out. I guess I have to experiment with them to see if I can get them to work. They look great on my car and I don't have to mess with the ride height.
(0000000000) likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

A couple months ago I heard the new car was due by December, but still haven't seen anything. Hoping to see details soon. Anyone have some pre-release spy shots? Quite pleased with my VBC D09 so I'm interested to try their F1. I like the look of the FXM but have been holding out until I see the new chassis.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nm143
A couple months ago I heard the new car was due by December, but still haven't seen anything. Hoping to see details soon. Anyone have some pre-release spy shots? Quite pleased with my VBC D09 so I'm interested to try their F1. I like the look of the FXM but have been holding out until I see the new chassis.
New VBC F1 car is available: FX18

Really like this car; the floating steering mount, the adjustable battery, and built-in motor fan mount. Looks the business!! And of course, I'm sure there will be an Aluminum chassis option... VBC also mention new rear pivot design, but they don't show a pic of it - makes me think it may be along the lines of the F6 style rear pivot...
Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nm143
I don't have the FXM, but have two of the FX's and they are really good cars... like any other F1 - down to the right tire/spring combination. It's all tweaks after you find some tires that work and the right springs for the surface you're on.

The new FX18 looks great - and I just bought myself a Roche EVO F1 for Christmas... still in the box. The look of the new VBC FX18 has me thinking about selling the Roche to try the new VBC car, since I never invested in the FXM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

I am looking forward to a new kit after having the FX chassis damaged.

The new kit looks good with all the updates, but would like to hear from FXM drivers how the sturdy the rear pod is.
On the FX, the rear bulkheads was braced with a thick c/f cross brace. I'm a little unsure how sturdy the tube over the axle is to brace the rear bulk head.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

The new kit looks good with all the updates, but would like to hear from FXM drivers how the sturdy the rear pod is.
On the FX, the rear bulkheads was braced with a thick c/f cross brace. I'm a little unsure how sturdy the tube over the axle is to brace the rear bulk head.
I've had several F1s in the past including the FX and I currently own an FXM. The rear pod with the tube over the axle has never given me a problem. I've seen other F1s without this have tweak issues/bent rear bulk heads from side impacts. I've yet to see this happen on an FXM (maybe they haven't been hit hard enough ).
Fredp1 likes this.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Hey Fred, I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a cross-brace. I've raced two of the 1/12th scales that had this setup, the VBC 12M, and never had an issue. And I even had a out-of-my-mind experience once with the aluminum chassis car I ran once down at Banana Raceway. Car left the track and maybe did 12-15 cartwheels and then found a wall to stop at.... Thank heavens it was practice and early in the day - only a few people "heard" it. All I broke was an upper arm and a turnbuckle, probably from the initial contact "before" it left the racing surface.

Anyway, that CF tube that the axle is housed in is pretty substantial, I don't think you would have a problem with it.
Fredp1 likes this.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

I downloaded the FX18 manual to get a look at the new centre pivot. It's kind of like the Associated but not the same design. It looks really good actually. It has adjustable play.
aracefan likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a modification done to the FX to strengthen the upper hinge pins.
The 36mm hinge pins used fitted perfectly.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Another TQ and win at the Victoria, BC Canada WCICS series for the old FXM. This is a great venue that has some really fierce competition. Link to the race results is in the following thread:

PROTOform WCICS Round 4: Victoria BC, January 5-7 2018
aracefan likes this.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

Unboxing the new Lightning FX18 (in french)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2q9VF0qntE

video building is coming
https://www.facebook.com/pg/rcf1.fr/...84879434866354
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

I purchased my FX18 from gripworksrc.com and will be picking it up this weekend. I can't wait!
aracefan likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.