Trader Rating: 14 (80%+)

what gearing do you guys use for 17.5 in a tc5r
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3jacob
Alot of it depends on what speedo you are running and your track size. WHen I ran my LRP SPX with max turbo boost I ran 4.58 FD and yesturday when I ran with my Castle Mamba Max Pro sensored speedo I ran 3.68 FD. Indoor asphalt track where the 2009 Nationals are going to be run in October. I ran the DUO 17.5 tuned by Express Motorsports sset on middle hole on the timing.

Different speedos and brushless motors will greatly affect your overall gearing.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

3.5-4.1 depending on track size.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cut ITF top deck -> more flex

Hi!

I think what to do for more flex, I try use orings ... but maybe I don't understud how put orings and screw and got good result ...

I cut ITF top deck and now it gives more flex, anyone try it before me?

Pic:

It is about 3mm height in center line.

Regards!

m.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Few of us and i believ some team drivers did this mod months back, good when there is no grip, horrid when there is
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
Few of us and i believ some team drivers did this mod months back, good when there is no grip, horrid when there is

For good grip I can put back FT kit top deck and stiff chassis.

What can happen when I go to good grip track? Track rollout?
Sway bar should help for it or stiffer FT top deck ..

If weather will be OK I will try this mod at Wednesday.

Regards,

m.

ps: there is pic from another TC5 thread, with pivot ball conversion:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/6091773-post762.html
what do you think about it?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

I run this topdeck on my car in the wet conditions but found it terribly understeery in the dry
Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Exotek TC5 Euro Edition Part 2

Ok, so just whenI think I'mcoming down the home stretch,I run into another issue. Someone here had told me that the pinion rubs the belt and he had to flip the belts around. The drawback to this is that you won't be able to run a one-way as the bearings would be flipped and run backwards. My solution is mount the diff gear on the other side on of the mounts. While doing this, I also discovered if you take some pinstriping tape and wrap around the outside of the assembly itself, it will help greatly in centering the gear. Also, I found that since the motor has been moved over, the topdeck has to be filed down to accomodate the new location of the motor. I don't think this will be an issue as it sits flat on the new bulkhead. I have pics below, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by MUDVAYNE; 09-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Exotek TC5 Euro part 2.1

Two more things. I have found that if you install the pinion on backwards, you won't have to file the rotor shaft's flatspot. Also, the belt rides against the outside of the front diff pulley lip, but it's not enough to be a concern.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

My Exotek car ran pretty good this weekend. I had a steering issue but it is nothing to do with the new setup. I will get some pics up tommorrow of the car. I get my steering center problem fixed and the car will be awesome.

Its weird it pulls to the right in this one section of are track going onto the straight and really makes it hard to to go straight on the fastest part of the track. I worked on the car some tonight and did have one ball stud that was a little sticky feeling and put on 4 new ball cups on the steering links. The slop I have in the steering is all in the ball stud on the servo horn. I did put on two new ball ends on the steering servo horn but it is still sloppy. I don't think this is the issue but will keep an eye on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
The slop I have in the steering is all in the ball stud on the servo horn. I did put on two new ball ends on the steering servo horn but it is still sloppy. I don't think this is the issue but will keep an eye on it.
Ehhhh... slop on a new car? Im still wheelin the Tc4 for practice, and its goin great. Still happy with the Tc5? Im still shoppin...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running a LRP x11 17.5 w/ fan geared to 3.56:1 FDR (66/37) the hottest I've seen it has been 58 C, but it's also currently winter for me. I think I could safely run 66/41 before motor temp would become a problem. A few pages back you'll see a vid of the track I race on.
My PB with 66/37 is 20.186 seconds and 66/39 has been 20.030 seconds, but that was also with setup problems. But hey I also stayed on the lead lap. Now with silver springs I hope to get under 20 second laps.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz
Hi!

I think what to do for more flex, I try use orings ... but maybe I don't understud how put orings and screw and got good result ....
see pic
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-oring.jpg  
Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by DaveW
Ehhhh... slop on a new car? Im still wheelin the Tc4 for practice, and its goin great. Still happy with the Tc5? Im still shoppin...
The slop is in the ball stud and ball cup. The TC5 has some slop but never been a problem with any of the other touring cars I have owned before so to be honest I don't think that is my problem. My plastic Tamiya cars hd 4 times more slop and would still go straight sonot a big deal. I'm going to put in one of the ball links with the screw thru it. That will remove the slop.

To be honest I have struggled with my TC5 but again alot has to do with trying to learn the new brushless sensored motors and test a new Castle speedo that will be coming out pretty soon. Add all that together with a 3 year layoff it has been a little tough, well at least at Frederick. Outdoors my TC5 has been great. I was always dialed at Frederick with every touring car I have had but with all the new stuff out I have struggled. This week my car was really close at Frederick.

Another huge differance is running the Jaco Blue premounts. I always ran RP30's and to be honest these are completely different handling tires so I need to learn them along with everything else.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
The slop is in the ball stud and ball cup. The TC5 has some slop but never been a problem with any of the other touring cars I have owned before so to be honest I don't think that is my problem. My plastic Tamiya cars hd 4 times more slop and would still go straight sonot a big deal. I'm going to put in one of the ball links with the screw thru it. That will remove the slop.

To be honest I have struggled with my TC5 but again alot has to do with trying to learn the new brushless sensored motors and test a new Castle speedo that will be coming out pretty soon. Add all that together with a 3 year layoff it has been a little tough, well at least at Frederick. Outdoors my TC5 has been great. I was always dialed at Frederick with every touring car I have had but with all the new stuff out I have struggled. This week my car was really close at Frederick.

Another huge differance is running the Jaco Blue premounts. I always ran RP30's and to be honest these are completely different handling tires so I need to learn them along with everything else.
Sounds like a lot to bite off and chew all at once! I havent run the Blues yet, but i got to see a set this past weekend, and see them on a friends car compared to what we normally run. They look like they lack a LOT of grip! Im sure that will change tho once the bite comes up at The C.

I still havent made the brushless jump yet, i decided to wheel for a bit on what i knew before i swapped it up. I didnt wanna change too many things at once. I wish i could still run brushed and NiMh's at the NATS and be competitive... its a lot to adapt in such a short time.

As far as cars go... either the XRAY or the Schuie looks to be my top choice. The Tc5 is a close 2nd, tho all i read about is quality control issues, belt issues, and so on. Im familiar with the T2 platform, and feel it would be like slippin on some familiar kicks. Both the Schuie and the Tc5 share my lack of wheeltime. Either way im screwed... i hate belt cars. haha

Dont take this as a bash on the Tc5 in any way guys... it isnt. Ive been reading like a mad man on just about every current car there is to run. I wanna stay AE. But i wanna feel confident the car i set down is going to make best use of all this practice im doing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.