Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by markp27
Great!

I've just swapped my chassis from the original to the 4mm version - man it was really quick to do - only took like 15 mins or so! The bumper I have is actually from the Impact - maybe I'll order the real 705 part though Hmmm, my old 12SX engine is very slow Now, where is the web address for the Border guys
Actually I think the "705 lola bumper" is the one for the impact, with a different label. I had to cut at least 10mm from each end for it to fit under de 200mm GTP body.
It was getting too dark for pics w/o body, so I'll post some in the 705 thread tomorrow. We're talking about the wrong car in this thread anyway.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Re: Pics

Originally posted by KevinS
The digital camera I want is out of stock at every shop that has a reasonable price so that's going to take longer than I thought... So I went and borrowed my fathers cam to take some pics and bring it back before he notices.

With the body on:

That 300M looks sweet Kevin .Good luck with the ride.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Building the Perfect Centax-3 Clutch

Originally posted by GlennCauley
Hi all,

Armed with a lot of knowledge gained from many many people, I have written an article on myTSN about building the 'perfect' Centax-3 clutch.

You can find it at:
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10063

Hopefully this will help people get the best performance out of their clutch and car.

Cheers!
Great Article Glenn, Thx for the info, I will try some things soon!!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys!

I think the red/white/black works great for me, it's simple so I don't need much painting skills (convenient since I have none ), yet it comes out nice.

And it works on other bodies too:
(Yes, my cat does hate it when he's not in a picture)
That is a really nice looking Porche! How do you like the performance of this body?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics

And I've got Friday off - it's even closer for me but its raining
My friend, even worse ... I just checked the forecast here and it looks like you'll be rained out for the rest of the weekend too!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Re: Building the Perfect Centax-3 Clutch

Hi all,

Armed with a lot of knowledge gained from many many people, I have written an article on myTSN about building the 'perfect' Centax-3 clutch.

You can find it at:

Hopefully this will help people get the best performance out of their clutch and car.

Cheers!

Great Glenn Thanks!!! Keep em coming I love all of your articles they are very helpful.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Prophet

If you have the 3racing graphite upper bumperplate, the alu part (which holds the down-stop setscrews) blocks you from mounting a transponder underneat. So I grabbed my Dremel and cut it to pieces. (And --tried-- to polish parts of it)
Woow ! You cut the center aluminum bar out?
Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Prophet

And the last one, naked:
(seems not possible for me to make clear pics without the body on )
Very nice body Kevin. I might want to copy that colour scheme !

Hey, is that the RDLogic pipe? Why are you using such a long fuel tubing? Not enough cc in the tank? Still with original rear shock tower?
Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics

And I've got Friday off - it's even closer for me but its raining
Let it rain man... Let it rain... (j/k)
Old 05-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Kevin, you've just brought me to the idea to convert my 705 into a GTP machine!!!!
Yes, I thought of making it strictly to a GTP / Lola machine too. I think Schrijver99 made his also to a GTP / Lola machine.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by kreidel
I could race but I might not have a chance to make more (babies with her) later so I will have to wait a year or to more for the newness to fade of being a Mother.
ROTF

That's a good one.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
can someone explain then internal ration of the car and why is it important ? is that the same as final drive ratio?
Final Drive Ratio (FDR) = (Spur / Pinion) x Internal Drive Ratio

Internal Drive Ratio is not the same as FDR.

For the 710, the Internal Drive Ratio is 1.875 (Rear Diff Pulley / Brake Pulley = 45/24).

Why is Internal Drive Ratio important? It is part of the FDR equation which determines how fast the car can go and how well the car can accelerate given the available spurs and pinions...

Just a small note. A bigger Internal Drive Ratio usually gives a car better acceleration with a little sacrifice in the top speed. This means that the internal parts and pulleys rotate more times = more rotational mass. A smaller Internal Drive Ratio usually means the car has better top speed with a little sacrifice in the acceleration department. As internal parts and pulleys rotate less, less rotational mass and inertia. Changing speeds (acceleration and deceleration) becomes better because of the lower inertia and braking becomes better too. Less wear on the pulley and belts too because of the less rotation.

So the gear ratio (Spur / Pinion) is very important too to compliment high and low Internal Drive Ratio. The most ideal is of course a high gear ratio (Spur / Pinion) in conjunction with a low Internal Drive Ratio.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Building the Perfect Centax-3 Clutch

Hi all,

You can find it at:

Cheers!

Great Article!!! as alway. Please give me more info on the following,

When adjusting the preload on the clutch spring, start with a preload setting of 0.5mm between the end of the flywheel nut and the top of the tension collar. I strongly recommend using the 1462 Centax Nut Tool to adjust the spring tension.

In case yellow brass conus and exactly 0.5mm shims are not available at that moment, how to know the preload measurement? Can you tell me the measurement of the end of centax clutch-nut (6582) to the end of crankshaft? Can I use this as the starting point or it does not matter at all?

Some other questions.. I notice later production of the first pinion gears, after installed, the bearing could not go through (it is ok before installed onto housing. If I installed the bearing first inside the housing, then onto the housing, the whole housing with its pinions are wobling which will stripped the spur anytime. As of now, I lathe a little the inner diameter on the whole assy (pinions installed in housing) and it gives me near perfect turnings, but that would be a little hard to do for others. Any other easier way to do it?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Final Drive Ratio (FDR) = (Spur / Pinion) x Internal Drive Ratio

Internal Drive Ratio is not the same as FDR.

For the 710, the Internal Drive Ratio is 1.875 (Rear Diff Pulley / Brake Pulley = 45/24).

Why is Internal Drive Ratio important? It is part of the FDR equation which determines how fast the car can go and how well the car can accelerate given the available spurs and pinions...

Just a small note. A bigger Internal Drive Ratio usually gives a car better acceleration with a little sacrifice in the top speed. This means that the internal parts and pulleys rotate more times = more rotational mass. A smaller Internal Drive Ratio usually means the car has better top speed with a little sacrifice in the acceleration department. As internal parts and pulleys rotate less, less rotational mass and inertia. Changing speeds (acceleration and deceleration) becomes better because of the lower inertia and braking becomes better too. Less wear on the pulley and belts too because of the less rotation.

So the gear ratio (Spur / Pinion) is very important too to compliment high and low Internal Drive Ratio. The most ideal is of course a high gear ratio (Spur / Pinion) in conjunction with a low Internal Drive Ratio.
Thanks for the response,

so i can make my car accel faster by reducing my spur gear correct?

what about the front pulley and the two sides ones? do they have any say in the equation?

does serpent make different size pulleys for us to play with?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Building the Perfect Centax-3 Clutch

Originally posted by Pyramid
In case yellow brass conus and exactly 0.5mm shims are not available at that moment, how to know the preload measurement?
Usually, the preload measurement depends from engine to engine. Different tuning requires different measurement. Driving style and preferance also determines this preload.

So what I do is to start it tight (maybe up to 1 mm) and then loosen it step by step (quarter of a turn at a time) to find the best clutch engagement from standstill and out of the corners without the clutch slipping.

Can you tell me the measurement of the end of centax clutch-nut (6582) to the end of crankshaft? Can I use this as the starting point or it does not matter at all?
The method of measuring from the end of centax clutch-nut (6582) to the end of crankshaft as mentioned in the 705 manual will yield different results for different engines. It depends on hte shim behind the brass collet used and also the length of the crankshaft.

So a better method of measurement is between the end of the flywheel nut and the top of the tension collar. That way, the measurement stays relatively the same from engine to engine.

A larger measurement (tighter pre-tension setting) yields a harder clutch engagement. Engine may rev a little more for the clutch to engage. Most of the time, this setting goes hand in hand with the clutch gap spacing. The rule of thumb I use is smaller clutch gap, harder pre-tension nut setting. Larger clutch gap spacing, looser pre-tension nut setting.

That said, I actually like my current setup which is 0.7 mm clutch gap, 1.1 mm between the end of the flywheel nut and the top of the tension collar with the stock soft Centax spring with the 3 flyweights mounted in between the flywheel pivot post.

Some other questions.. I notice later production of the first pinion gears, after installed, the bearing could not go through (it is ok before installed onto housing. If I installed the bearing first inside the housing, then onto the housing, the whole housing with its pinions are wobling which will stripped the spur anytime. As of now, I lathe a little the inner diameter on the whole assy (pinions installed in housing) and it gives me near perfect turnings, but that would be a little hard to do for others. Any other easier way to do it?
I did find that the 5x10x4 bearing that goes into the 1st gear pinion to be a little tight. Before I screw the 1st pinion onto the 2nd pinion, I mount the bearing first. Then I screw the whole 1st and 2nd gear pinion onto the clutch bell. I did not find the pinions wobbling problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.