Search

New XRAY 808

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 10-4

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
There is no problem with the Xray shocks. I have never had a leak so obviously you are doing something wrong. Make sure your O-Rings aren't damaged and make sure your bladders aren't torn.
I've never had a leak, it would be cool for xray to make longer shocks, and longer front axles......
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

No issues with my shocks either. I have about 4hrs of race time on the buggy now. I have cleaned and inspected for the diff bearing problems and have been fortunate.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sorry guys have to disagree . I spent countless hrs changing from the stock to ribbed bladders probaly 20 or 30 times and still leaks. Also changed caps and bodies to stop it. They just don't seal. They keep popping the bladder from it's place and oil escapes from the shock cap mod hole
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jarred King
Sorry guys have to disagree . I spent countless hrs changing from the stock to ribbed bladders probaly 20 or 30 times and still leaks. Also changed caps and bodies to stop it. They just don't seal. They keep popping the bladder from it's place and oil escapes from the shock cap mod hole
when you screw the shock caps on try to do it slowly, if you screw in the caps too fast the shock bladder might get bunged up at the perimeter resulting in improper sealing...

when you said you changed the caps and the bodies, are they brand new? if they are used, are they still perfectly round?

when it leaks, did it leak thru 1) the OIL bleed hole on the side? 2) around the cap or 3) the new AIR bleed hole on top of the cap?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (99%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
when you screw the shock caps on try to do it slowly, if you screw in the caps too fast the shock bladder might get bunged up at the perimeter resulting in improper sealing...

when you said you changed the caps and the bodies, are they brand new? if they are used, are they still perfectly round?

when it leaks, did it leak thru 1) the OIL bleed hole on the side? 2) around the cap or 3) the new AIR bleed hole on top of the cap?
i am having leaking issues as well and mine or leaking from option #3 the new AIR bleed hole on the top of the cap. BUT i think that is because my foam compensator is too thick thus causing the bladder to no seat properly under load. i am gonna try to cut the foam compensator down a bit and try it again
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
i am having leaking issues as well and mine or leaking from option #3 the new AIR bleed hole on the top of the cap. BUT i think that is because my foam compensator is too thick thus causing the bladder to no seat properly under load. i am gonna try to cut the foam compensator down a bit and try it again
try slicing it thinner and chamfer the edge like shown in adam drake's video, try it and let us know your findings ok? good luck...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

The oil is coming from the air bleed hole made for the shock cap mod. It leaked before we did that because every time I pull them
down there is oil above the bladders so the bladder is no sealing . All four shocks will leak from that hole . I used to run foam compensaters and then tried two o-rings and then tried none and still leaks as soon as the shock takes a hard impact on the shaft (I.e a big jump ) it goes pop and u see oil on the shock cap. Bladders are breaking either there just not sealing which means the shock is poorly designed if you ask me.

To fix the problem I'd probablly have to buy new xray shocks but I'm not going to as there terrible I Mose well spend that money on decent losi ones
Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

The oil is coming from the air bleed hole made for the shock cap mod. It leaked before we did that because every time I pull them
down there is oil above the bladders so the bladder is no sealing . All four shocks will leak from that hole . I used to run foam compensaters and then tried two o-rings and then tried none and still leaks as soon as the shock takes a hard impact on the shaft (I.e a big jump ) it goes pop and u see oil on the shock cap. Bladders are breaking either there just not sealing which means the shock is poorly designed if you ask me.

To fix the problem I'd probablly have to buy new xray shocks but I'm not going to as there terrible I Mose well spend that money on decent losi ones
I.C... I would like to know when you screw down the caps, did you use any tools or just by hand?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 on that cause I run mine really hard over big tripl jumps and I've never split a bladder or had oil leak past one..you must not be tightening the shock cap enough..must say I think the losi idea of having a nut shape to the lower shock cap so you can use a nifty tool to hold and tighten the shock properly.always a bit difficult to grip the main shock body by hand especially if you've just bled the shock and it's oily..
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Tech Master

HMm you have just reminded me of another silly idea from xray.

No putting any sort of mechanism to hold the shock body like other manufactures. I used to do them up by hand but i also thought they might be leaking by not doing them up tight enough so i started using multi-grips with a rag over the shock body and start doing them up tight. i even went to the trouble of sanding down the top of the shock body to create a flatter surface for the bladder to sit on.

trust me, ive dont nothing wrong. and there is no way to fix this
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

HMm you have just reminded me of another silly idea from xray.

No putting any sort of mechanism to hold the shock body like other manufactures. I used to do them up by hand but i also thought they might be leaking by not doing them up tight enough so i started using multi-grips with a rag over the shock body and start doing them up tight. i even went to the trouble of sanding down the top of the shock body to create a flatter surface for the bladder to sit on.

trust me, ive dont nothing wrong. and there is no way to fix this
I didn't use a grip or a vise to tighten the caps, all I did was threading my hex driver thru the shock cap eyelet and tighten, same technique to tighten the ball ends as shown in top of page 15 of the manual...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ganymede
I didn't use a grip or a vise to tighten the caps, all I did was threading my hex driver thru the shock cap eyelet and tighten, same technique to tighten the ball ends as shown in top of page 15 of the manual...
cool i did that to.
and they still leak
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

cool i did that to.
and they still leak
gimme your shocks then...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

im in aus mate. there something wrong with them. they leak
what else do you want me to do? ive tried everything.

there not fixable.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

im in aus mate. there something wrong with them. they leak
what else do you want me to do? ive tried everything.

there not fixable.
no worries mate... my brothers are in perth...

how old are your shocks anyway? u mentioned you tried new shock bodies, shock caps and bladders and they STILL leak? send them to me and i'll exorcise them for you free of charge...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.