New XRAY 808

Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
I did the drilled shock cap thing, used some dense foam, and have no rebound at all.
this is exactly my problem as well that i have been trying to get answers for but nothing. i got some new bladders, thought maybe mine had holes in them so i am gonna try that tonight
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
this is exactly my problem as well that i have been trying to get answers for but nothing. i got some new bladders, thought maybe mine had holes in them so i am gonna try that tonight
that's not the problem. I already put in new bladders/foam redid same ting. I noticed after I moved them up and down a few times[10 or more] then they wanted to try and move. As far as I can tell I have ruined a set of shock caps. also I am using 1x3x8hole pistons, with 42.5 up front and 37.5 in the rear. At first i was thinking I was using to heavy of an oil. went down to 25 weight same thing. They worked good before i did the mod,setting the rebound.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The new ribbed bladders need no foam. Use the kyosho o rings and build them right and you won't get leaks and your shocks will stay perfect for 1/2 gallon of fuel or more. I know the foam mod is the new craze, but nothing will ever take the place of good old trapped air in your shock caps
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

again that is what i was thinking. my shocks felt great before i did the mod. i was running the new cone shapped pistons and they were amazing. i dont know why i wanted to try something different but i did and so far i am NOT IMPRESSED
Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I too feel it wasn't quite worth ruining a shock cap for.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

out of all the guys above what type of foam did you use? I used air filter foam. I am wondering if the foam was to dense,hence collapsing easily, and not keeping the bladder in one place. You know not stiff enough. allowing the bladder to give to easily.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

I used foam from a Jammin pipe packaging, very dense stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Setting rebound on a shock is pretty pointless if you ask me. Rebound is superceded by the spring anyways when it's assembled, so I dont' understand all of the hooplah about it.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I'll stick with the stock caps from now on.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Lord

Air filter foam is not dense enough Matt. It does not have the rebound strength the push the bladders back to form. The best foam is the kind used for the on road touring car tires. The foam has to cut and shapped perfectly to work properly. It needs to fit perfectly inside the shock bladder. Too thick and it deforms the bladder, to thin and it won't push the bladder back into shape thereby negating the entire function of the bladder itself
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

I'm thinking of the foam ass backwards then. Must find stiffer foam!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

i am just using those losi foam compensators which is designed to work and its still sh!t
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
i am just using those losi foam compensators which is designed to work and its still sh!t
they are designed to work with losi bladders, losi caps and losi shocks, trust me when I tell you that Losi did not produce a foam for XRAY's shocks. I bought a set of the Losi foams and they did not fit right. They needed so much trimming I just threw them out and decided to just try the new XRAY bladders with no foam and they are bomb!! Guys, we have managed to run our off road shocks for 20 years with no foams in them have we not?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Guys, we have managed to run our off road shocks for 20 years with no foams in them have we not?
Exactly how I felt before, but you know, you read stuff on here and sometimes trying new stuff does work. Sometimes it doesn't .
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by grizz1
The vented shock caps are only on the Losi 2.0 Euro.
Have you watched the video a few pages back on shouck rebuilding ?

No pics sorry. Just drill a similar sized hole to the bleed hole in the top of the shock cap, so it enters into the crown of the cap which will be inside the bladder when assembled (hope that makes sense).
Cut a Losi or Kyosho compensater foam in half and fit it between the bladder and the cap after you have bleed the shock down to get the correct rebound.
The video by Drake explains it very well.
Grizz, did your shocks go back to the original preset that you put them at? After doing the mod? Is it possible to have the upper vent hole too big?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

mine work just fine..I used the losi foams , which are really really firm, and I've since removed them again and used a dremel to shape the end of the foam so it matches the shape of the bladder. be careful with the losi foams as they have a sealed end and an open end..the sealed (shiny) end needs to go to the bladder or it won't work properly.I've got nice response and no oil leaks anywhere.Can't comment on rebound settings as I always run with zero rebound anyway.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
We have been running silver springs all the way around with 50% rebound.
Mount them in the middle lowers on the tower and outside on the arms.

This is a very stable old man setup. Then change your angles and lean of the shock for more or less spring rate effect. This will be your personal preference.

Good luck.
TEX
Ran Rocco's version of this setup (http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...52&setup=xb808) on Sunday. Only changes were 10K oil in the font diff, raised the rear shock oil to 27.5 weight, ran the vented shocks with losi foams shaped to fit the bladder and standard non-ribbed bladders and I loved it. Super stable and best lap times I have run all year with my buggy. I guess it works for me because I am an old man.

It seems to be the setup (or close to it) that I have been looking for with this buggy, but I never tried anything this extreme before.

Side note: I set the rebound on my shocks to around 50% when building them, but found that I actually got something more like 25% when I was done. I think the vented shock caps do reduce the amount of rebound vs the trapped air. But... I didn't see any leaking or issues at all with the shocks. They were very easy to build with this method and I liked that they turned out very consistent. Using the old method of bleeding I wound up opening and closing the shock a few times just to try and match the rebound from shock to shock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.