Like Tree79Likes

Tekin Servos

Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Local track shop has them in stock but many aren’t biting yet due to the price point, in some cases twice the price of servos currently being used.

For anyone who has made the leap, can you provide real world feedback (good and/or bad) to justify the value with its much steeper price?

One of the selling points is maintaining accuracy and consistency over time so jury will have to stay out on that one for awhile.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayzcar View Post
Local track shop has them in stock but many arenít biting yet due to the price point, in some cases twice the price of servos currently being used.

For anyone who has made the leap, can you provide real world feedback (good and/or bad) to justify the value with its much steeper price?

One of the selling points is maintaining accuracy and consistency over time so jury will have to stay out on that one for awhile.
It's not too far away from most of the current high end servos. But it is definitely too high for my liking lol. But then again the most I paid for a servo is $110 and it hasn't left me wanting more. But there are a lot of racers that pay even more for their servos so I imagine the sales will pickup as more of those folks are up for a new servo. These servos are not for those looking for bang for your buck
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

In stock at amain. Says they are shipping, and they even have a discount coupon. So your paying about 140 before shipping.

I plan to pick up one of the T120 some time in the future. For the features and the resolution, the price seems like a good deal.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was so impressed by the performance numbers , that I COMPLETELY over looked the fact that you can use the Hotwire to set parameters too !!!

That is too cool.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

I haven't been able to give them what I consider to be a full shakedown, but I'll offer up my experience so far.

***Disclaimer: Tekin Team Driver so I'm obviously extremely biased***

TL,DR:
Planning to spend $100+ on a new servo anyways? Tekin should definitely be on the short list. Don't feel like you're being held back with your current servos? You'd probably shave more time off your laps spending your money elsewhere. See if you can test run someone else's car. You will for sure notice a difference, but only you can determine if the price is worth it for you.

Long version:
I had a Savox 1257TG in my stock class B6 and a Futaba S9372SV in my mod class B64 that were swapped out this past weekend with the T-180 low profile servos. I went with the shorty version because they were about the same weight as the full size servos listed above and I didn't want my weight bias to change much. If you already run a shorty servo, these are 10 to 15 grams heavier than most. Keep that in mind if your car is on the weight watchers program.

I also picked up a couple T-300 versions for 8th scale, once the weather warms up. Can't offer any feedback on them other than how stout they are. The clamping servo horns included are legit and will be used over what I already have.

Just spinning them out of the box, the geartrains on both are the second smoothest I've ever felt. For reference, I've used both brushless and coreless servos from Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, and Savox servos in the last 10 years and there was one specific servo from Spektrum that was the smoothest ever, but I don't remember what model it was. If you give them a hard spin when they aren't powered up, they will coast for a half turn. Futaba's gears have never impressed me, but they have always felt fine on the track. Savox's more expensive ($120+) high end servos are close in feel, but are louder. Will report back if anything ever goes wrong. The seeming lack of backlash was impressive, but again I'll let you know if any excessive play develops.

At 6 volts, both servos I replaced are rated at 0.07 seconds while the T-180 is rated as 0.08. I had my speed controls set for 6 volts, so I could easily compare them. If the Futaba is actually 0.07, then the Savox is not. But, it also isn't $150 like the Tekin and Futaba. The Futaba and Tekin both looked identical when playing with them on the bench. Relatively speaking, the Savox felt 30-40% slower, so something like 0.10 seconds. Not knocking it as I used it to win the local winter point series, just stating that the number on the box doesn't quite match.

For how they feel when driving them, the precision matches the price tag. Noticeably more accurate feeling than the 1257 (I mean, for double the price they better be). Found myself correcting less in the 2wd buggy. Now, if you were to pull a switcharoo and ask if I could tell if the $150 Futaba servo was still in my car or the $150 Tekin, it would be very hard to say. But, this is comparing a full size Futaba servo with 280 in-oz at 6 volts to a shorty servo rated 165 in-oz at the same voltage.

I don't think I ran them to the point where the "More Consistent" claim made by Tekin would have been noticeable. 5 minute races in 10th scale buggies aren't a stressful environment for most servos, so I'll get back to you once 8th scale takes off for the summer.
rayzcar and kaistas like this.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio View Post
I haven't been able to give them what I consider to be a full shakedown, but I'll offer up my experience so far.

***Disclaimer: Tekin Team Driver so I'm obviously extremely biased***

TL,DR:
Planning to spend $100+ on a new servo anyways? Tekin should definitely be on the short list. Don't feel like you're being held back with your current servos? You'd probably shave more time off your laps spending your money elsewhere. See if you can test run someone else's car. You will for sure notice a difference, but only you can determine if the price is worth it for you.

Long version:
I had a Savox 1257TG in my stock class B6 and a Futaba S9372SV in my mod class B64 that were swapped out this past weekend with the T-180 low profile servos. I went with the shorty version because they were about the same weight as the full size servos listed above and I didn't want my weight bias to change much. If you already run a shorty servo, these are 10 to 15 grams heavier than most. Keep that in mind if your car is on the weight watchers program.

I also picked up a couple T-300 versions for 8th scale, once the weather warms up. Can't offer any feedback on them other than how stout they are. The clamping servo horns included are legit and will be used over what I already have.

Just spinning them out of the box, the geartrains on both are the second smoothest I've ever felt. For reference, I've used both brushless and coreless servos from Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, and Savox servos in the last 10 years and there was one specific servo from Spektrum that was the smoothest ever, but I don't remember what model it was. If you give them a hard spin when they aren't powered up, they will coast for a half turn. Futaba's gears have never impressed me, but they have always felt fine on the track. Savox's more expensive ($120+) high end servos are close in feel, but are louder. Will report back if anything ever goes wrong. The seeming lack of backlash was impressive, but again I'll let you know if any excessive play develops.

At 6 volts, both servos I replaced are rated at 0.07 seconds while the T-180 is rated as 0.08. I had my speed controls set for 6 volts, so I could easily compare them. If the Futaba is actually 0.07, then the Savox is not. But, it also isn't $150 like the Tekin and Futaba. The Futaba and Tekin both looked identical when playing with them on the bench. Relatively speaking, the Savox felt 30-40% slower, so something like 0.10 seconds. Not knocking it as I used it to win the local winter point series, just stating that the number on the box doesn't quite match.

For how they feel when driving them, the precision matches the price tag. Noticeably more accurate feeling than the 1257 (I mean, for double the price they better be). Found myself correcting less in the 2wd buggy. Now, if you were to pull a switcharoo and ask if I could tell if the $150 Futaba servo was still in my car or the $150 Tekin, it would be very hard to say. But, this is comparing a full size Futaba servo with 280 in-oz at 6 volts to a shorty servo rated 165 in-oz at the same voltage.

I don't think I ran them to the point where the "More Consistent" claim made by Tekin would have been noticeable. 5 minute races in 10th scale buggies aren't a stressful environment for most servos, so I'll get back to you once 8th scale takes off for the summer.

Sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to one of the 120's.

Can you pop the top of one off and give us a shot of the drive train?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals View Post
Sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to one of the 120's.

Can you pop the top of one off and give us a shot of the drive train?
Can do. Might be late tonight or tomorrow, but I'll post it here as soon as I have a spare 10 minutes.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

i just put one of these in an eb410. very nice fit and finish. i am excited to play with it, but i have not figured out how to program it. i have an rs pro 2 BE esc and a tekin hotwire 3 that i am using via blue tooth. any help would be great. thanks
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)

I wish these servos were compatible to be used with the SR Mode for the 7PX, as I mentioned earlier only reason why I'll be sticking to the FUT S9373SV.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
i just put one of these in an eb410. very nice fit and finish. i am excited to play with it, but i have not figured out how to program it. i have an rs pro 2 BE esc and a tekin hotwire 3 that i am using via blue tooth. any help would be great. thanks
You'll need one of these: https://www.teamtekin.com/shop/index...product_id=270
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Kaifd3s View Post
I wish these servos were compatible to be used with the SR Mode for the 7PX, as I mentioned earlier only reason why I'll be sticking to the FUT S9373SV.
The biggest thing on the majority if these "proprietary" modes is that they're simply either dropping the signal down below the "normal" industry ranges, OR they're narrowing the "band" of the signals to emulate speed.

This may not be the best idea in my humble opinion. I run a M12s and can tell you that 90% of people couldn't tell between the "normal" mode and the faster mode....until you go to the narrower SSR mode.

That being said the 7px on the middle level which I cannot remember at the moment is great on these servos.
Kaifd3s likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Received my T-120 yesterday, and man does it feel solid. Mounted it up and gave it a few turns, but won't be able to get it on a track until next weekend.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
The biggest thing on the majority if these "proprietary" modes is that they're simply either dropping the signal down below the "normal" industry ranges, OR they're narrowing the "band" of the signals to emulate speed.

This may not be the best idea in my humble opinion. I run a M12s and can tell you that 90% of people couldn't tell between the "normal" mode and the faster mode....until you go to the narrower SSR mode.

That being said the 7px on the middle level which I cannot remember at the moment is great on these servos.

I'll give it a shot, Thanks Randy.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM
1M
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
I just T-180 into my Custom Works Intimidator 7, Plugged it into the hot wire 2.0 because it fits, Nothing happens, Must be it needs to be plugged into the HotWire 3?

If so that jumper wire should come with the servo.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

To my knowledge, we are still waiting on a fresh version of the Hotwire software to be released that is compatible with the servos. Last I checked was a week ago, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service