LRP IX8

Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If anybody is running on 2S. Does it hesitate? running it in sc104x4 with pro4 4000 with saddle packs inline. every few laps it feels like a nuetral width is high. awalys off power then on power, doesn't happen down the sraight away.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hey I'm looking at some other options for esc for 1/8 buggy other than the Rx8. How does the IX8 compare to the RX8.

Last edited by rcfiend; 01-10-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Hey I'm looking at some other options for esc for 1/8 buggy other than the Rx8. How does the IX8 compare to the RX8.
I would also like to know!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
If anybody is running on 2S. Does it hesitate? running it in sc104x4 with pro4 4000 with saddle packs inline. every few laps it feels like a nuetral width is high. awalys off power then on power, doesn't happen down the sraight away.
There is apparently a confirmed software issue with the BEC on 2S that will be updated "soon". Running on 2S, go with something else (my RX8 has been a tank on 2S)

I'm still planning on getting one of these for my buggy...if I get mine before anyone else posts how well it works, I'll let you know. I'll be running 4S, and possibly 5S for S&G. I don't really plan on abusing my drivetrain with 6S...
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

so has anyone used this in a 1/8 scale yet?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Are these actually available anywhere yet!?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

I've seen a few floating around in SC104x4s and some 8th scale buggies, but no-one has said where they got it....

Someone was selling just the ESC in the FS thread a few days ago....
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Ran the iX8 for the first time this weekend. I got mine on Ebay from absolute hobbies. Just the ESC No Motor to go with it. I already have more Tekin motors than I need.

Short review based on one race day with it in my RC8.2e using a Tekin 1900 motor on 4s 40C Gens Ace batteries.

First impressions: Overall esc build quality is very nice. It is a solid looking unit and I like that installing the fan is optional. Without the fan its quite a low profile unit as far as 1/8 esc's go. All of the wires unplug from the esc making fixing a broken Rx wire or broken switch a snap, and taking the motor out for maintenance a snap with no soldering iron needed. I set mine up in my buggy without the fan just to see how it would do with temps and if it got hot I figured I could just plug it in and screw it on.

Setup: I left the settings all at default with the exception of the voltage cut off for the lipo. There really isnt alot to play with on the thing.
  • Voltage cut off settings for 2s to 6s or disabled. All cutoff settings are calculated using 3.2v/cell cutoff value. (ie. 12.8v cutoff for 4s).
  • Drive Profiles - 6 options. which is just Forward only, Forward w/ brake, or forward w/brake and reverse, then the same options with motor revese rotation.
  • 5 Power Profiles which is basically a current limiter with 1 being the softest and 5 being the most aggressive.(Default is 2)
  • Drag Brake - setting of zero thru 5 on the amount of drag brake. (default is 0 off)

I went through the ESC/Rx Calibration according to the manual no problem. Everything was very simple. Going through the options setup to set the LVC for the 4s pack I was using was also very simple and went smoothly. However, I must say that going back to counting blinking lights to set up the esc was a bit of a let down after being used to all of the fancy software that most of these esc run with now days. It just seemed very primitive. But with as few options as the ESC actually has. Software would probably be silly anyway.

Driving Impressions: The iX8 was very smooth and very very nice to drive. The brakes were powerful yet controllable. I wound up turning my Brake EPA down to around 70% on my radio to get the amount of braking that I wanted. The power band and throttle feel is probably the smoothest I've driven. Right up there with the RX8 I had been using until I installed the iX8. Had very nice smooth bottom end but still plenty of snap and was able to clear the big quad with no problem on a very short run up.

With no fan it came off of the track after the 6 min qualifiers at about 125-130F and after the 10 min main it came off at about 142F according to my temp gun. The track was pretty large (125ftx70ft)indoor clay track with medium/high traction. No problems with these temps but I would suspect that come the heat of mid summer and a 15-20 minute main on a large outdoor track the need for a fan may come into play. For now I'm gonna leave it off and see how it does.

The only small issue I had with it was on 2 occasions going into the same hard corner that is an uphill grade the car just stopped on me. Seemed like the Rx lost its signal maybe from cutting out due to a voltage drop on the BEC. If I held the front tires and turned the radio wheel back and fourth to really stress the servo I was able to duplicate the brown out. I added a glitch buster capacitor into an empty receiver slot and it seems to have addressed the issue. No more incidents like that. However I should note, the Savox servo I'm running seems to be just about the most power hungry servo there is and has caused similar issues in my RX8 and with a Mamba controller.

Also, I unintentionally test the Low Voltage Cut off. During practice before the race day start I was running the car and making some adjustments. I thought I had changed the pack but I must have put the dead one back in the car because after a couple minutes of running the car just stopped dead in the middle of the straight away. Honestly I was kinda pissed cuz I thought the ESC had died. It just stopped. No warning and it never came back on again after it quit. When I got the car back to the pits I looked at the warning lights it was flashing and looked in the manual and sure enough. It had hit the LVC. I checked the voltage on the battery and it was now resting right about 3.4v/cell so the cutoff did a good job of cutting off right about at the point I wouldn't want to go below. However, my only concern is that it just cut out and never came back. Im just used to having the esc come back after a few seconds after it hits the LVC, giving you a little room to get the car out of the way or drive it back to the pits. The iX8 just stops and that's it. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Mine was a sitting duck dead center of the long straight abut 2/3 of the way down. Couldn't have been in a worse spot. Figures. LOL.

Overall Summary: For as simple as this controller is, and as few options as it has, it really is as smooth driving ESC and it survived its first race day with little drama. I'll keep running it and let you guys know how it holds up, but it will probably be a couple more weeks before I get to run it again.

Last edited by jhautz; 02-14-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the thorough review. Very glad I just got a promotion and raise at work...I might just have to reward myself....as soon as the ESC/motor combo is available.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Great review! Looks like I will be picking this up instead of a mamba max pro!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 2S firmware update

Talked to a Engineer from AE today when I was at the reedy race. He said he doesn't have a date when they will fix the 2s firmware gitch. they R testing it to see if they can get them to fail!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

what is the glitch issue on 2s?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
what is the glitch issue on 2s?
they narrowed it down to a current limiter issue.they tested my speedo every different way thats what they come up with. that night when I was there two other guys had the same issues. One was able to fix it by running an external bec and worked perfect. It feels like a bad sensor wire, or cogging when punching full throttle,doesn't happen when you roll on the power. I've been wating for these speedos for a while, come to find out I'm able to run the Pro4 4000kv with the TC spec and is flawless!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re

Hi all can someone tell me where in australia/overseas i can buy this esc stormer and tower hobbies dont have them

Cheers nathan
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

whats a good combo for a truggy for one these

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.