Motor Testing and Comparisons >

Motor Testing and Comparisons

Like Tree41Likes

Motor Testing and Comparisons

Old 04-08-2024, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Motor Testing and Comparisons

I noticed there are a lot of different threads talking about the same thing... Testing and/or comparing motors. I'm hoping to be able to narrow down to one thread.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

I have completed my new testing device. I haven't fully tested it, but if it works right, it will be pretty accurate when comparing motors.

I am ready to test motors again. Here are the motors I have had the most requests for. Which one would you all like to see? You can request another brand, but it can't be released more than 2 years ago, must me 17.5, and I would like to stay away from team/certified versions. They are too pricey.
  • HW G4R
  • Team Exalt Phoenix Gold
  • Muchmore Specter V3
  • Team Powers Actinium V5
  • Maclan MRR V4
  • Team Scream TSR THE-1 (haven't had a lot of requests for this one, but I see it just came out)
River19 likes this.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I noticed there are a lot of different threads talking about the same thing... Testing and/or comparing motors. I'm hoping to be able to narrow down to one thread.
Creating yet another new thread isn't going to achieve that goal.
glennhl and hunterdawg like this.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Unless an admin combines the different threads into one.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

This is the only thread. The other posting was a question, in the Basement Lives Mater thread, where I asked for the best place for me to ask this question. The Basement Lives Mater thread doesn't get very much traffic.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

I have completed my new testing device. I haven't fully tested it, but if it works right, it will be pretty accurate when comparing motors.
Is it a dyno?
Old 04-09-2024, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Is it a dyno?

No. It's more of a way to compare motors, under a load, by being able to change the gearing to get the same RPM's. Then check to see accelerations differences and motor temps while under the same load at the same RPM's.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

So its a simple dyno
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
So its a simple dyno
Well,
after thinking about it, it can be one, but without being hooked up to a computer and a lot simpler. The biggest difference is being able to gear each motor to have roughly the same RPM while under the same load.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

This is the only thread. The other posting was a question, in the Basement Lives Mater thread, where I asked for the best place for me to ask this question. The Basement Lives Mater thread doesn't get very much traffic.
Really? Then why did you say this?
I've seen a LOT of different threads comparing motors.
Here's one example:
17.5 Motor Power Output from Dyno
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Requesting some r1 volta or v21 data!
Old 04-10-2024, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Really? Then why did you say this?

I've seen a LOT of different threads comparing motors.
Here's one example:
17.5 Motor Power Output from Dyno

My bad! I now see what you're referring to, and that is a justified question. I thought you were referring to my question in the Basement Lives Matter thread. There are other threads, but one talks about testing motors on motor dynos, more talking about the rotors, others talk about testing with tuners, then shimming, 17.5 motors, 13.5 motors, etc... Then, these threads are all over the place. I believe it would be easier if there was one thread that talked about overall comparisons. If you want to know just about the rotors, then you can check out the rotor testing threads. If you want to know about dyno testing, then you can look for those.

I will be comparing motors using a different method. I didn't want to start a thread that is based just on my testing. I wanted a thread that will invite all motor comparison tests. If you had a few motors that you tested in your own RC, side-by-side, you will have a place to share your data.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by staiguy
Requesting some r1 volta or v21 data!

I have seen these motors, but I am not able to find a lot of info on them. Are they ROAR approved? When was the newest version released?
Old 04-10-2024, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have seen these motors, but I am not able to find a lot of info on them. Are they ROAR approved? When was the newest version released?
I don't know much about the Volta, but the v21s super short is the newest R1 race motor. There are 3 different v21s motor available right now. Regular v21s, v21 HD, v21 super short. There are differences in the design of the cans, but I think the stator is the same on them all. Roar approved, and these are highly used race motors.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

R1 has about everything labeled as stock or the normal 13.5,17.5,21.5, and 25.5 roar approved. They basically come in 2 flavors - volta and v21. I've heard the voltas are torque based and the v21 are rpm based. The voltas have always come out the box with a long rotor. It probably is a torque based rotor, everything about the volta seems to be all about dat torque.
Im not sure if the v21 comes with long rotors out the box. In the past they had the regular short rotor but include kits to change out to the long rotor. Everything is listed as roar approved. Not sure if its the same as the volta. They dont really list any volta parts except the sensor board. The v21stock spec and HD line all seems basically the same, just the HD is heavy duty. The v21 super short seems to have its own line of sensor boards and rotors. Not sure if you can put a super short sensor board and rotor in a v21s/HD OR put a long rotor and long rotor sensor board in the super short. R1 should know all this (R1 if you listening, you need a driver/rep? I'm open!)

Interesting note - the v21 series seem to have typical motor design with 3 long screws but the volta is a one piece design - this plus the long torque rotor drew me in. Good off-the-line punch usually sends me up a place or 2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.