Like Tree242Likes

Radiomaster MT12

Old 11-05-2023, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

I preordered one from DefianceRC. free shipping, they also have RX. 5Ch RC is 13.99.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm pretty excited for the MT12 to come out as i've always wanted EdgeTX for surface. I flew drones for a number of years on OpenTX/EdgeTx and I got pretty familiar the way to set up things how I liked. Things like setting expo / rates and curves I think is much more superior than what i've been able to do on my M17.

Here are some of the advantages or features I think are worth it in this system:
- Cheap receivers for excellent perfomance. Great if you have lots of models like me.
- Telemetry features. Things like battery voltage, temp sensing, etc
- Reliable link for the speed running community. Not my thing but i've seen plenty of vids where the RX/TX link has caused issues.
- 4 in 1 version multiprotocol support. Having 1 TX that can bind to various protocols. Great if you want to consolidate various RTR models into a single TX.

EdgeTX also supports LUA scripting which could open the doors for ESC manufacturers to allow telemetry based settings changes to be made (similar to Sanwa TX/ESC). Unfortunately, RC car ESC innovation is seriously lacking when compared to drone ESC systems and manufacturers tend to gatekeep so that people stay within their specific eco system. I guess time will tell.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:09 PM
Tech Rookie

One thing that's really not been expanded on properly is the 4in1's support of "Spektrum" and "Futaba". Yes it does work with DSM and SFHSS, in the aircraft variants of these protocols. It can bind to DSM2 and DSMX receivers in all their variants and SFHSS air receivers. But check out Futabas compatibility matrix for SFHSS receiver support. Apparently the surface SFHSS receivers can bind to surface SFHSS transmitters, but not Air SFHSS transmitters. And Air SFHSS receivers can bind to both surface and air SFHSS Transmitters.

So at the moment there is probably more reverse engineering work for the multiprotocol team to do to get DSMR and surface SFHSS working.

The good news is on the Multiprotocol website it does say Traxxas support is there and working on the 6519 receiver, which seems like a common Traxxas receiver. So I think you could reasonably expect the radio to be able to bind with Traxxas RTRs.

At the moment though I doubt its going to bind to any existing Futaba SFHSS surface receivers or any Horizon hobby RTRs with the DSMR protocol. So that needs to be kept in mind for people considering one of these. Worth noting it does work with tons of other common protocols you could get dirt dirt cheap receivers for. Such as flysky's AFHDS2 and it's 10 dollar receivers.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 2000drz400e
One thing that's really not been expanded on properly is the 4in1's support of "Spektrum" and "Futaba". Yes it does work with DSM and SFHSS, in the aircraft variants of these protocols. It can bind to DSM2 and DSMX receivers in all their variants and SFHSS air receivers. But check out Futabas compatibility matrix for SFHSS receiver support. Apparently the surface SFHSS receivers can bind to surface SFHSS transmitters, but not Air SFHSS transmitters. And Air SFHSS receivers can bind to both surface and air SFHSS Transmitters.
S-FHSS????? And then you try to promote this "thing" as a good surface radio? As I did mention before, for that price and functionality people with crawlers like to control lights and other gadgets on their cars and do not mind what kind of techical system, closed or open and all other crap is behind it as long they can control their car..

S-FHSS is for the serious racer no option, it is too slow. It must at least support T-FHSS or faster.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Racers should go with the ELRS version of the radio. The video below shows the F1000 operating mode getting around 3-5ms delay from tx input to rx output depending on where the input pulse falls in relation to the 400Hz PWM period. The 4-in-1 module that supports multi protocols really seems like its geared towards bashers with fleets of cars filled with RTR receivers.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
nino. likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof
S-FHSS????? And then you try to promote this "thing" as a good surface radio? As I did mention before, for that price and functionality people with crawlers like to control lights and other gadgets on their cars and do not mind what kind of techical system, closed or open and all other crap is behind it as long they can control their car..

S-FHSS is for the serious racer no option, it is too slow. It must at least support T-FHSS or faster.
What are you going on about? I was just explaining how a lot of the hype saying the 4in1 is compatible with Spektrum and Futaba is not quite right. So I was trying to communicate that it doesn't do what some of the people are saying it does. On the topic of speed the 4in1 does support AFHDS2 flysky protocol which can operate at 400hz. Not exactly sure what that means for latency its probably not all that low given that it's an older protocol, be interesting to see someone test this.

The radio comes in 2 variants, 4in1 and ELRS. And it almost doesn't matter which one you get because you can add the other protocol with an external module later.

In fact in response to RC10's post, I would actually recommend the 4in1 internal and here's why. The external 4in1 modules generally go for 60 bucks, and the ELRS ones generally go for 40 bucks. Also the internal ELRS module only goes up to 250mw output power while the external modules go up to 1000mw. The 4in1's are all the same. The radio is the same price no matter which module you get so if you want both modules it's cheaper to go internal 4in1 and you get more output power with the external ELRS.

And yeah I saw that vid too of the ELRS latency test, pretty exciting to see someone put a number on it and it's pretty good!
Old 11-17-2023, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Furadi

As an example, it's insane to me that I can't setup a simple throttle based start/stop timer in my m17. (or a futaba or nb4 for that matter) Something I've been doing with my FPV drones since I started flying in 2014.
Ummmmmm, you're partially correct. I can definitely, and do have, a throttle based timer on my NB4 Pro and I'm sure my NB4 could have done it as well. My understanding is that the RadioLink RC8X can do it too. The name brand surface flagships have historically not cared what end users want, the offbrands have listened more.
nino. likes this.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At least starting a timer by throttle also works on the Sanwa M17...
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
RazorRC this sounds right up your alley. Any chance you'll get your hands on one to review?
It's looking promising...
Old 12-08-2023, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone receive theirs yet? mine is supposed to be here Sunday along with a pair of the new 5ch RX and the included 3ch.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

here is a youtube video that goes over some of the things you can do with openTx this might help people who arent familiar get to see how powerful the software is and how you can program almost anything into the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ho3mxmVZIE&t=440
Old 12-10-2023, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
Potentiometers - lets be honest, who has had a pot wear out in a quality radio? It's a non-issue, but the Radiolink shills have been filling the internet with that claim today.
I’ve just recently had to replace the steering pot in my MT44, it’s definitely a thing if you keep your stuff for long enough. I “upgraded” it with the M17’s pot because it has a 10x longer lifespan than the version that was in it (10million cycles vs 1mil).

gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I made a video testing almost every protocol I have access to for compatibility and latency, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OfxvGxojPYc?si=CYaoOZafOJVSvJZu
Manning, RazorRC and nino. like this.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jakesterama
I made a video testing almost every protocol I have access to for compatibility and latency, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OfxvGxojPYc?si=CYaoOZafOJVSvJZu
Currently watching it now, so far looks informative. But I'm wondering what the deal is with the ELRS receiver PWM issue on bootup. You mentioned it's a hardware issue, but it seems odd that it's specific to those 2 channels. Is the pattern repeatable? Maybe it's a data handshake for some specific hardware?
Old 12-17-2023, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

A radio that will let me control Mini-Z's without me having to buy an overpriced radio that I will only use for Mini-Z while at the same time this same radio makes it possible for me not to have to buy a receiver for a Traxxas RTR so that I can use a nicer radio with more features & control and on top of that it looks to be a good enough radio for most people to race with and I don't have to buy $80+ receivers anymore and on top of that it's fully programmable and everything can be defined sort of like Linux, oh and it's cheap too, yes please and it's about damn time.

This radio will be a game changer. It may not and probably won't put Sanwa and Futaba out of business, but it will/should lower radio and receiver costs a great deal, especially if it performs.
nino. and HappyFeet like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.