Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree142Likes

Icharger x6 Mini 30A Discharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So I have read the majority of thread and I have a pretty good understanding of the calculations for the discharge resistor bank needed. My question is once this bank is hooked in series through the positive lead between the charger and the battery, can I actually use the battery cycle feature that the charger offers without removing the resistor bank during the charging portion of the cycle?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Var1000
So I have read the majority of thread and I have a pretty good understanding of the calculations for the discharge resistor bank needed. My question is once this bank is hooked in series through the positive lead between the charger and the battery, can I actually use the battery cycle feature that the charger offers without removing the resistor bank during the charging portion of the cycle?
you have to remove it unless you use a lead battery to power the charger
Old 12-05-2018, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J

you have to remove it unless you use a lead battery to power the charger
You can't charge with the resistor bank plugged in.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by moparSRT
lol i know i meant if you use a lead battery to discharge at 30A with out the bank
Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Var1000
No. If you want to do a lot of cycling, then an iCharger Duo is probably your better bet.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by biz77
No. If you want to do a lot of cycling, then an iCharger Duo is probably your better bet.
I cycle mine just fine takes me 2seconds to unplug the discharge bank
Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Tech Lord

Why not making a switch over it?
Open = discharge
Closed = charging.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

The question specifically asked if they could use the charge/discharge cycling function with the resistor bank plugged inline. The answer is no, you cannot. The only way you can use the traditional cycling function is to
A. Be limited to the internal discharge capacity of the charger
B. Utilize a power supply that is capable of absorbing the wasted power

If you disagree that an iCharger DUO is superior for this task then I challenge you to a cycling race. You can pick the battery we are going to be cycling. You get to use any combination of power supply and/or discharging bank on your X6 and I get to pick any combination of power supply and discharging bank I want for my 406 DUO. First to complete three charge/discharge cycles has the superior setup for cycling. Up for the challenge?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

The question specifically asked if they could use the charge/discharge cycling function with the resistor bank plugged inline. The answer is no, you cannot. The only way you can use the traditional cycling function is to
A. Be limited to the internal discharge capacity of the charger
B. Utilize a power supply that is capable of absorbing the wasted power

If you disagree that an iCharger DUO is superior for this task then I challenge you to a cycling race. You can pick the battery we are going to be cycling. You get to use any combination of power supply and/or discharging bank on your X6 and I get to pick any combination of power supply and discharging bank I want for my 406 DUO. First to complete three charge/discharge cycles has the superior setup for cycling. Up for the challenge?
you can you need a relay switch , havent found one to work properly with out blowing plus i cycle my packs if im lucky 1 a month so not a big issue
Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes you can, you just don't want to. It will only charge at like 2A
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Will the cycle continue running even when you unplug the resistor bank? I haven't tried it yet. I figured a connection break would stop the cycle.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Why not making a switch over it?
Open = discharge
Closed = charging.
a switch capable of 30A is huge, takes 2 seconds to unplug the resistor bank.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

If you disagree that an iCharger DUO is superior ...
Obviously its superior to the X6 in almost every aspect ... but it also costs around 3 times as much

But the X6 is a LOT smaller

And yes you can use the 30A cycle just as easily as long as you are hooked up to a 12v car/motorcycle/lawn mover battery.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Obviously its superior to the X6 in almost every aspect ... but it also costs around 3 times as much

But the X6 is a LOT smaller

And yes you can use the 30A cycle just as easily as long as you are hooked up to a 12v car/motorcycle/lawn mover battery.
I'm not discrediting the X6 at all. As a matter of fact, I've looked at it from every angle to see if I could feasibly REPLACE my Duo with one while retaining all the features I'm used to. In the end I came to the conclusion that the performance/features and packaging of the Duo is tough to beat... although the thought of a X6 with a 100-watt laptop power supply (I usually only charge 1s batteries at 20 amps) is a compelling option to haul to the track when I don't need discharging capabilities.

Yes, the form-factor of the X6 is tiny compared to any of the Duos... until you have to lug a group 27 deep cycle battery along with it

I know some of the drone guys use large lithium packs as the power source out in the field (where no other power source is available) to run their chargers. Perhaps this is an option with a large-capacity 4s if you set the regenerative cutoff voltage to somewhere around 4 volts per cell during the regen discharge cycle? While it would be an expensive option, although not much more so than a large lead-acid deep cycle battery, it is also much smaller and lighter.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

honestly how many people cycle their packs during a raceday ? i dont i cycle them at home maybe once a month. usually you have a delay between discharging and charging right? so my delay is the time it takes me to unplug and plug and push "charge" in all is about 5 to 7 seconds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.