Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default a question from a total noob.

So I am a rc nerd who has been in the hobby for a long time 15 years or more. I fly helis, planes, and do a bit of sct, and touring car driving also. However I have not had a local track until recently so I have not raced. I do however work for a company that deals with electromechanical CAD software and although I do IT work know a lot of engineering people. My question is this: I read the comments about using RFID as a different solution and the reasoning behind why it would not work well. Why not use a RF bluetooth system? Even if the system loses connection with a Bluetooth receiver, it can be stored locally until next lap, and the Bluetooth receivers can be both fairly inexpensive and very lightweight. I just looked and saw that immersion is making a timing system using bluetooth so if someone could tell me why that is not preferred I would appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

These lap counting systems use frequencies many orders of magnitude lower than Bluetooth. That's because the reception of the transponder signal is intentionally done in the near field, via induction. The signals are strong only very close to the receiving loop, and die out quickly as distance is increased. That makes it relatively simple to determine when the transponder is passing under or over the receiving loop.

At higher frequencies, reflections can cause signal strength to peak even when the distance between transmitter and receiver is not at a minimum. That would cause false lap timing.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by windellmc
AMB invented this tech in the 80s. So that patent is expired. That is how mrt was making transponders. MYLAPS has a 2012 patent which is good for 20 years and I would bet there is something in the rc4 transponder that is patented that keeps mrt from making full rc4 compatible transponders. Now the switch has been flipped to disable rc3 and rc2 compatibility in rc4+ decoders.

Someone will have to make a decoder that copies the rc2/3 and it won’t work with non hybrid rc4 transponders. Who is going to pay for that? Better to figure how to hack the rc4 decoder and fix the firmware.
We use Vostok timing system, which works with all transponders except "pure" rc4. On our country peoples do not hurry change their transponders to newest rc4.
So you can use cheaper MRT transponders or used AMB/Mylaps rc3 transponders from Ebay........
Old 09-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the Mylaps Decoder 4.4 Firmware upgrade? Only 4.5 is available for me to download at the moment. I'd rather update to 4.4 and support more transponders as I don't need drone support.

Thanks for any leads.

-Steve
oldernoob likes this.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sorry for not reading all 12 pages, i just realized i still have 3 2-wire dp trasnponder, it amb still having any program for it?
please kindly advise
Old 11-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

If they are the RC4 Hybrid ones then there is no problem. If they are the larger RC2 transponders then you will have problems with only the latest firmware upgrade
Old 11-08-2018, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

thanksi asked my local track, my old big dp2 is still usable. but to play safe, i sent an email to amb already to ask for an upgrade but no answer from it yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

i found out the the trade in price is already more expensive than buying a new one. amazing trade in program.
btw, anyone know what is the major difference of the rc4 pro except for the smaller size?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan
i found out the the trade in price is already more expensive than buying a new one. amazing trade in program.
btw, anyone know what is the major difference of the rc4 pro except for the smaller size?
Shorter wire, and it's black.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

oh, that's it.
this pro version is just awesome. thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Shorter wire, and it's black.
The wire is shorter.....but is it still #14 solid?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good day folks. I am really late to the party. I finally was able to restore my bookmarks from 2011. I know crazy. Then of course all my RC Stuff popped up and I started to look.
First of all, Mylaps. I know if I were Mylaps/AMB, I would be pissed at MRT for copying their system. Mylaps should have taken them to court. But, I will say this. In order to keep customers happy
and in order to continue with the progression of the Mylaps/AMB system, there should have been a trade in program. This would have been to keep customers happy. If you have however many transponders
that are older, you should get a 30 to 50% discount on the purchase of you replacements. Same issue with the House transponders. Mylaps should have allowed tracks to send in their house transposnders for a substantial discount. I have an Mylaps/AMB Decoder box which isn't being used. I bought it to start a track in my back yard and it didn't happen.

Now. Re RFID. Back in around 2011, My wife and I embarked on creating a system to compete with Mylaps/AMB. It was a lot of work being done on a shoe string budget. I have several RFID readers and Antennas which we setup in order to create the software for the lap counting. What I found out was the RFID readers we were using could read the cars pretty accurately. Creating the software to pull the data was another issue. We could accomodate every aspect listed the current AMB system provides. Lap times, speed, racers cheating by cutting the track, type of rounds of racing. etc. We simply ran out of money and time. The RFID transponders didn't cost anywhere near Mylaps/AMBs prices.

That being said. The problem with RFID is the transponders can easily be replicated to some degree. The more sophisticated the transponder, the higher the cost of the transponder. This is because the more
memory the transponder has to have in order to achieve what users/track owners want. This being said. Uniformity across systems can be an issue. Mylaps is having this problem now. Their solution is to force
people to upgrade when the upgrade isn't really needed in most cases. if Drone racing is what you are into, get another decoder and keep the existing one for rc racing.

Mylaps/AMBrc provides a product we like to use. I went through the last Transponder update. Cost me a pretty penny. (I have 15 Cars and I don't want to keep swapping transponders at a race)
Unless tracks owners are updated their Decoder boxes, then there isn't an issue with the current product. No changes will need to happen. Handout transponders will stay the same. Personal transponders as well.

Unless something breaks and you are forced to purchase a new one.

I wonder if you send in your Decoder box for service, if they will automatically put 4.5.on your system.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (98%+)
Default mPTX ALT ID Question

is the ALT ID on the new mPTX's all the same. If I by another new one can I use the ALT ID to have 2 matching id transponders
Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I know you can make a special order and buy directly from MRT, you can specify what ID you want to have so long as it's an ID they have already cloned.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Looking for a firmware 4.4 or lower

A while back maybe 2013 they had sent an email with the flash to update ambrc (rc3) boxes. Does anyone have a file for a box or does anyone have knowledge on if it’s possible to take a 4.5 box and revert it back to say 4.3? Thanks fellas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.