Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Like Tree92Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

These lap counting systems use frequencies many orders of magnitude lower than Bluetooth. That's because the reception of the transponder signal is intentionally done in the near field, via induction. The signals are strong only very close to the receiving loop, and die out quickly as distance is increased. That makes it relatively simple to determine when the transponder is passing under or over the receiving loop.

At higher frequencies, reflections can cause signal strength to peak even when the distance between transmitter and receiver is not at a minimum. That would cause false lap timing.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
AMB invented this tech in the 80s. So that patent is expired. That is how mrt was making transponders. MYLAPS has a 2012 patent which is good for 20 years and I would bet there is something in the rc4 transponder that is patented that keeps mrt from making full rc4 compatible transponders. Now the switch has been flipped to disable rc3 and rc2 compatibility in rc4+ decoders.

Someone will have to make a decoder that copies the rc2/3 and it won’t work with non hybrid rc4 transponders. Who is going to pay for that? Better to figure how to hack the rc4 decoder and fix the firmware.
We use Vostok timing system, which works with all transponders except "pure" rc4. On our country peoples do not hurry change their transponders to newest rc4.
So you can use cheaper MRT transponders or used AMB/Mylaps rc3 transponders from Ebay........
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the Mylaps Decoder 4.4 Firmware upgrade? Only 4.5 is available for me to download at the moment. I'd rather update to 4.4 and support more transponders as I don't need drone support.

Thanks for any leads.

-Steve
oldernoob likes this.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

sorry for not reading all 12 pages, i just realized i still have 3 2-wire dp trasnponder, it amb still having any program for it?
please kindly advise
Old 11-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

If they are the RC4 Hybrid ones then there is no problem. If they are the larger RC2 transponders then you will have problems with only the latest firmware upgrade
Old 11-08-2018, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

thanksi asked my local track, my old big dp2 is still usable. but to play safe, i sent an email to amb already to ask for an upgrade but no answer from it yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

i found out the the trade in price is already more expensive than buying a new one. amazing trade in program.
btw, anyone know what is the major difference of the rc4 pro except for the smaller size?
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan View Post
i found out the the trade in price is already more expensive than buying a new one. amazing trade in program.
btw, anyone know what is the major difference of the rc4 pro except for the smaller size?
Shorter wire, and it's black.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

oh, that's it.
this pro version is just awesome. thanks!