Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Like Tree100Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by howardcano
There is no legal obligation to do so. A transponder ID for toy cars is similar to a serial number; two manufacturers may use the same number.

However, the ethics of doing so are up to each individual to decide.
A very wrong explenation. A serial number is brand/product related and do not share the same database. Transponder ID's do use the same system and can cause conflicts. What if someone is registrating his MRT transponder on the Mylaps site, the original owner will have a problem....

But from the past I believe the 19 optional numbers are from transponders MRT has bougt by themselve so they are the owner of them. And the copied number could only be done if you could proove with the original AMB transponder that the requester is the real owner of that transponder.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

There is no chance that a MYLaps customer will ever run into an RFID conflict at any track, each RFID they purchase is guaranteed to be unique. It would create mass chaos if MRT decided to randomly generate RFID's which could potentially create conflicts on the MYLaps system. I tried asking MRT to generate an RFID for 867-5309 and they said this wasn't an RFID that they own. The RFID's that MRT are using have been purchased and/or legally acquired through various trade up promotions, those RFID's are re-distributed where only MRT customers have a very slim risk of potential overlap.

Legal basis has already been established that the phone company does not own the phone number (i.e. RFID), therefore if someone wishes to share their phone number in a method similar to a party line as a form of business, very common to see 976-XXXX numbers used as party lines, then that is the legal right for a business to re-distribute usage of that number for a profit.

MYLaps sells the decoding system to track owners who bare the bulk of the expense, with promise for free lifetime product support... this is similar to the infrastructure of a phone system with all the cabling of a network up to the property line of residence... but individual consumers have the right to purchase any aftermarket phones and re-wire their residence as they see fit without any control/support from the phone company. That's where MRT comes in to fill this gap. Customers have the freedom to choose to get service from the OEM or a compatible aftermarket with enhanced features... I think MRT let's you choose what color LED you want too, pretty nifty!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
A very wrong explenation. A serial number is brand/product related and do not share the same database. Transponder ID's do use the same system and can cause conflicts. What if someone is registrating his MRT transponder on the Mylaps site, the original owner will have a problem.
There is nothing wrong with the explanation; I stated that there was no legal basis to keep another manufacturer from using the same ID number. That is true here in the US.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion if it is morally correct. Legally, there is no problem.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The copyright situation isn't well defined. The AACS key is just a number but many DMCA takedown notices were issued once it leaked as it was claimed to be copyright protected. I think most or all recipients followed the takedown notices as they didn't want to fight it in court. I don't think the issue ever made it to court so it's still an unresolved debate.
That is a different situation to what we have here. The AACS key can be used to access copyrighted material, but the key number itself is not copyrighted. A transponder ID does not access any copyrighted material.
billdelong likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Boy has this thread gone south.
Agreed. We have ventured pretty far off topic.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
I noticed on mylaps website, you can custom order RC4 hybrids with custom ID numbers. Is it possible to get 2 or 3 with the same ID? I didnt see anything mentioned on Mylap's website.
Yes you can, it's worded kind of funny though..

"RC4 car ID" if you want more of what you already have. Or the Custom one if you simply want to order 2-3-4 PT's all with the same number.

https://www.mylaps.com/rc4-timing-sy...-transponders/
billdelong likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
Hi JKaetz,

This is Brandon from LiveRC and LiveTime. I can assure you that this is something that has absolutely nothing to do with LiveTime. When we first heard about this update, we fought against it to no avail. I understand WHY MyLaps is doing it, but its unfortunate for the racers who have old transponders or MRT's. When MyLaps recently sent out an email to their customers about the available update, it made no mention of the fact that it would disable old transponders and was not reversible. For that reason, we issued a press release on LiveRC to inform everyone of the cost/benefit to upgrade. It is NOT required that you upgrade. That is solely up to the track. LiveTime will continue to support all versions of the firmware. We issued this press release in good faith to prevent tracks from updating and learning after the fact the hard way. Again - this update has nothing to do with LiveTime.

Regarding the trade-in deal, we have ALWAYS offered an upgrade/exchange program for $62 for a new transponder. This lets you trade in any house, AMB, MyLaps, MRT, etc transponder for a new one, working or not. We have offered this service for 3 years. We are currently working diligently with MyLaps to try and make this more affordable for people who are affected. I will post information on that as soon as possible.

Again - this update is optional. If you do not like it, simply don't upgrade your decoder box firmware.

What is the process to return and upgrade older xponders? I would be interested in doing so.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by patyroach
What is the process to return and upgrade older xponders? I would be interested in doing so.
https://www.livetimescoring.com/mylaps/

Originally Posted by LiveTime
MyLaps Transponder Upgrade
MyLaps RC4 Transponder Upgrade

Send us your old AMBrc personal transponder, AMBrc house transponder, or MRT cloned transponder, and we will exchange it for a brand new MyLaps RC4 or MyLaps Hybrid transponder with a $25 credit. The old transponder doesn't even need to work!

$25 credit for any new transponder with the exchange of an old one

CALL OR E-MAIL US TO ARRANGE AN UPGRADE
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks!
billdelong likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812

"RC4 car ID" if you want more of what you already have. Or the Custom one if you simply want to order 2-3-4 PT's all with the same number.

ah ok, thank you.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
ah ok, thank you.
That's how I interpret it anyway..I've been wrong before.......that one time at band camp
Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I have an MRT RC4 transponder I bought as mylaps is expensive and hard to get hold of in the UK.

When is the new software i think 4.4 starting in the uk for mylaps does anyone know? and I'm guessing the MRT rc4 wont work with the new update?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

@ Racer1812

You closed the other thread which received posts and support by MRT to replace it with this one.

Now we have a thread where everyone is arguing to the legalities of MRTs transponders versus support or solutions.

Since you are a moderator, I ask you to get this thread on the subject or support for MRT transponders

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman
@ Racer1812

You closed the other thread which received posts and support by MRT to replace it with this one.

Now we have a thread where everyone is arguing to the legalities of MRTs transponders versus support or solutions.

Since you are a moderator, I ask you to get this thread on the subject or support for MRT transponders

Thank you!
I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
@ Racer1812

Thank you!
Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.