Wiki Posts
Search

Woodville Mall Saturday Electric Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcwck
Should be a good car once the gearing and power system gets sorted out. It's a longer wheel base with split battery mounts. That's what interested me because I can run the C6 body and experiment with a 6S set up. Car ended up 1/2 lb heavier than my other Ultras and will have to see how or if that effects handling, punch or tire wear.

You'll enjoy the great big track and all the good guys. We scheduled two test and tunes so we should be able to sort things out. Weather is also a concern early in the season.
Glad to see someone else playing with 6 cell setups as well... My plan as well.

Did you buy your batt's recently? I seem to be running into supply shortages for the size that fits my serpent? I found these but was a bit hesitant on the 30c rating?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16770
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
Glad to see someone else playing with 6 cell setups as well... My plan as well.

Did you buy your batt's recently? I seem to be running into supply shortages for the size that fits my serpent? I found these but was a bit hesitant on the 30c rating?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16770
Those should be ok . Bobby used those same lipos in a 2S version in a series set up for 4S most of the season last year in a GT8 car. A 6S set up should even be easier on them. I got some 40c Gens Ace packs back when they were in stock.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was discussed and agreed.bk
So now we do not discuss rule changes with the racers who race in the class's.
Was there a meeting that was held that you did not tell us about ???

There have been many changes made before we even have a Saturday EL club meeting.
That is why I am not running the racing for you guys this year.

I do want to thank all you guys for your help last year!!!!!!!
Together we did a fantastic job and I am very proud of that.

As sorry as I am to say this...... I will not Be racing with you guys this year.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Updated summer race schedule

Hopefully this will be the final schedule update for a while. The schedule on post 129 has been updated as well. The Hobby Stop Schedule has had a few changes early in the schedule.
Attached Files

Last edited by rcwck; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lazer Guy
So now we do not discuss rule changes with the racers who race in the class's.
Was there a meeting that was held that you did not tell us about ???

There have been many changes made before we even have a Saturday EL club meeting.
That is why I am not running the racing for you guys this year.

I do want to thank all you guys for your help last year!!!!!!!
Together we did a fantastic job and I am very proud of that.

As sorry as I am to say this...... I will not Be racing with you guys this year.
The Hobby Stop West Raceway and the One-Eighth Racers along with many other tracks/clubs use the established ROAR car class rules as a guideline. The 2S voltage is the established power source for all sedan 1/10 race cars. It's just not reasonable for a racer to feel like he is at a disadvantage unless he purchases new batteries, a new motor and possible have to redesign his chassis.

I have heard and experienced some tracks where the racers determine the rules. There is no stability in the rules and they change quite often during the season. No one is quite sure from week to week what rules are being used. We are not interested in running this type of program.

If there is enough interest in an open mod 1/10 sedan class using high voltage packs that would be ok with the people in charge of running the race program. It would just be a matter of 3 or more of those cars racing in 50% of the races to have a season championship. They are welcome to race with the mod sedans if needed but just not in a series championship with them.

I'm sorry you feel so strong about using 3-4s lipo voltage in your sedan that you will not be racing this year.

Regards
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's just not reasonable for a racer to feel like he is at a disadvantage unless he purchases new batteries, a new motor and possible have to redesign his chassis.
Doesn't these same problems also go for electric GT8?
If running 6s is an atvantage wouldn't it make the rest of the people who race feel like they need to buy all new batteries and all new motors?
I understand the difference is that there are no Roar rules yet established for E-GT8 but the very same reasons TC is limited to 2s it should be applied to any other class of electric racing.

Instead of just allowing something to be ran it would have been better to test it out first to see if a racer has an advantage or not with a 6s setup before allowing it to race in a class where 4s has always been used.
Also what's stopping someone from showing up running a ridiculous amount of power like a 2650/2250 on 6s? I really wouldn't want to be turning on to the straight just ahead of someone who is running that kind of power to have them coming behind me at warp speed.

Again I understand there are no Roar guidelines for E-GT8 yet but that doesn't mean there should be no rules. All other electric 1/8 scale Roar racing rules like 1/8 electric buggies are limited to a 4s. This years Ipanema world championship has a electric GT8 class and they limited the battery to 4s.

An open power rule with 6s really opens up the gates to a lot of power.
With 4s we were all limited to a 2650 as being the most power available
Now with 6s we can go from the 40k rpm max on 4s to 60,000 Rpmson 6s!

Just think more thought should be put into something then just allowing it

This is just my opinion and regardless of what the rules are or what I think of them I will be there to race and I hope Russ does too.

Last edited by Voltron989; 03-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Doesn't these same problems also go for electric GT8?
If running 6s is an atvantage wouldn't it make the rest of the people who race feel like they need to buy all new batteries and all new motors?
I understand the difference is that there are no Roar rules yet established for E-GT8 but the very same reasons TC is limited to 2s it should be applied to any other class of electric racing.

Instead of just allowing something to be ran it would have been better to test it out first to see if a racer has an atvantage or not with a 6s setup before allowing it to race in a class where 4s has always been used.
Also what's stopping someone from showing up running a ridiculous amount of power like a 2650/2250 on 6s? I really wouldn't want to be turning on to the straight just ahead of someone who is running that kind of power to have them coming behind me at warp speed.

Again I understand there are no Roar guidelines for E-GT8 yet but that doesn't mean there should be no rules. All other electric 1/8 scale Roar racing rules like 1/8 electric buggies are limited to a 4s. This years Ipanema world championship has a electric GT8 class and they limited the battery to 4s.

An open power rule with 6s really opens up the gates to a lot of power.
With 4s we were all limited to a 2650 as being the most power available
Now with 6s we can go from the 40k rpm max on 4s to 60,000 Rpmson 6s!

Just think more thought should be put into something then just allowing it

This is just my opinion and regardless of what the rules are or what I think of them I will be there to race and I hope Russ does too.
For insane speed runs a high kv and a high voltage is the rule. I don't think this will apply to a 7 minute road race car. I have explode a couple rotors using 4S and the rpm was no where near 60k. The main idea behind a high voltage is to use a lower kv and reduce amp draw which means less heat and a bit better efficiency. I have always had thermal issues with these heavy cars and run time issues on lipos < 6000mah. I think this is true for me because I always push everything to the max. Even on a 6S system the rpm is gonna be around 40k for me. Watts is power(HP) and that will remain bout the same. Now I can use 5000mah lipos and save weight, not! this Sherman comes in at 9+ lbs. Some racers are anal about every gram/ounce. We will have to see.

GT8 has always been stated for us as an open power system. We will wait and see if a 6S system is a big deal or not. We will try not to have a bunch of rules. But when it appears that someone has an advantage over another competitor because of stepping out of the norm it might have to be addressed. That is why we posted the 2s max rule for sedans.

Most people just assumed that all the sedans would use a 2s power set up as that is the established rule and the norm. That is why it was never specifically addressed in the past rules. Just in the past season there had been some talk about higher voltage when it was realized that it was being used at the track.

I was getting exited about going outdoors to race. But BOOM! winter is back today with most area schools closed.

The Toledo Weak Signals Expo(RC show) is in two weeks. It is geared mostly to the air enthusiast but there is some car and boat stuff. There is a model contest for displaying rc cars with some big award prizes. It is one of the biggest shows of this type and it has world wide attendance. The swap shop is always fun to browse around. More info here:

http://www.toledoshow.com/
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I started using 3s 12 years ago in my 1/10th 4wd xx4 buggy.
There was no motor limit so I used a smaller motor.
Nobody had a problem with it.
I did not change the chassis to fit 3s.
I also used 3s in my 1/8th buggy.
Next was my 1/10th SCT truck, there was a roar 540 motor limit, 3s was used by many in that class for different reasons at club races.
Everybody started using 550 motors an 2s but I stayed with 540 and 3s.

last year Bill you beat me in every mod race, You came in first for the points.
I came in third only because I raced in all the races.
Many guys came out to race mod with 2s and beat me. (No unfair advantage was seen all this time) but you made one up.
This is a big track, This is club racing not a roar event, at small tracks they make rules to slow the cars down.
At big track in mod it's run all you can get you hands on and hope it's enough.

The lipo I have been using cost $25, it's a 2200 40c 3s, everybody make that size lipo.
I did not change my chassis to fit 3s in it.
Anybody can do the same thing I am doing, We have an 8.5 or lower motor rule and that makes it very hard to make 3s work.

If you think it is that much better, it only cost $25 to try it.
You will find that you have to do everything just right to make it work, there is no reserve power, I use it all every race.
There is more total power in a 2s 5000 then there is in a 3s 2200.

I should get an award for making run time an not going up in flames doing it.
My lipo last all year.
I found a 3s for $21 that i was going to get for this season but there is no point if I am the only one in my class this year.

I had hoped people would look at what I am doing and try it.
We did that in offroad 1/8th class and it worked.
The only advantage I have is I drive smooth, I can set my car up pretty good, and I have been using 3s for 12 years so I know how to take care of them to make them last.
Everybody knows what I have been running and have ask me about it since we started racing at this big track.

The rules for last year did not change all season like you make out they do.
You can see them on post #1 of this thread.
There was no problems, no complaints, everything went smoothly. everybody had fun and nothing was broken for you two guys (the WE) to fix for this year.

Go to any roar race and try to run 6s in a 1/8th buggy,
Roar rule = 1/8th buggy 330mm long wheel base Max... anything longer is not 1/8 buggy based, it's a 1/7th. My BBgt8 is 330mm. yours is way longer.
You pick what roar rules you want to use so you can run what ever you want to run at a club race.

I am all for trying hi-volts in BBgt8 class and I want to do it also, And I know if we do it right it will work.
There is more then one way to do it and if you (Bill) can not make it work the way you do it you will make a rule so nobody can try it.

It's your way or no way. You are firm on that.
You two guys are the WE and that is not right.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 03-25-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lazer Guy
I started using 3s 12 years ago in my 1/10th 4wd xx4 buggy.
There was no motor limit so I used a smaller motor.
Nobody had a problem with it.
I did not change the chassis to fit 3s.
I also used 3s in my 1/8th buggy.
Next was my 1/10th SCT truck, there was a roar 540 motor limit, 3s was used by many in that class for different reasons at club races.
Everybody started using 550 motors an 2s but I stayed with 540 and 3s.

last year Bill you beat me in every mod race, You came in first for the points.
I came in third only because I raced in all the races.
Many guys came out to race mod with 2s and beat me. (No unfair advantage was seen all this time) but you made one up.
This is a big track, This is club racing not a roar event, at small tracks they make rules to slow the cars down.
At big track in mod it's run all you can get you hands on and hope it's enough.

The lipo I have been using cost $25, it's a 2200 40c 3s, everybody make that size lipo.
I did not change my chassis to fit 3s in it.
Anybody can do the same thing I am doing, We have an 8.5 or lower motor rule and that makes it very hard to make 3s work.

If you think it is that much better, it only cost $25 to try it.
You will find that you have to do everything just right to make it work, there is no reserve power, I use it all every race.
There is more total power in a 2s 5000 then there is in a 3s 2200.

I should get an award for making run time an not going up in flames doing it.
My lipo last all year.
I found a 3s for $21 that i was going to get for this season but there is no point if I am the only one in my class this year.

I had hoped people would look at what I am doing and try it.
We did that in offroad 1/8th class and it worked.
The only advantage I have is I drive smooth, I can set my car up pretty good, and I have been using 3s for 12 years so I know how to take care of them to make them last.
Everybody knows what I have been running and have ask me about it since we started racing at this big track.

The rules for last year did not change all season like you make out they do.
You can see them on post #1 of this thread.
There was no problems, no complaints, everything went smoothly. everybody had fun and nothing was broken for you two guys (the WE) to fix for this year.

Go to any roar race and try to run 6s in a 1/8th buggy,
You pick what roar rules you want to use so you can run what ever you want to run at a club race.

I am all for trying hi-volts in BBgt8 class and I want to do it also, And I know if we do it right it will work.
There is more then one way to do it and if you (Bill) can not make it work the way you do it you will make a rule so nobody can try it.

It's your way or no way. You are firm on that.
You two guys are the WE and that is not right.
It's not about me but others who do not make posts but voiced there concerns in the background. Two of these people do not race with us any more for whatever reason. I personally do not care either or whatever way so do not twist things around and make false assumptions. You had the opportunity to run the program and use any odd type set ups including strange sedan bodies. You declined and some others stepped up and are trying to make it the fairest to all racers.

Once again and for the last time you and others are welcome to come and race at least 3 or more of any other type electric vehicle for season awards.

This point is finalized concerning 2s power for the sedans in our present classes.

I will not make anymore replies to you in this concern.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bill, why not just ask the other racers if its ok to grandfather in Russ with his current setup?
Its not like its a big race or championship series where the rules have followed to the T and like Russ said you and Kevin pretty much dominate the class so he isn't going to effect the races much running his set up.

Hate to lose a racer especially one that's a good guy and was nice enough to run the races for us last year. The guy really loves to race, for Christ sake he built his own ashpalt track in his back yard!

Should try find a way to make everyone happy and have some fun.

Leo
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Bill, why not just ask the other racers if its ok to grandfather in Russ with his current setup?
Its not like its a big race or championship series where the rules have followed to the T and like Russ said you and Kevin pretty much dominate the class so he isn't going to effect the races much running his set up.

Hate to lose a racer especially one that's a good guy and was nice enough to run the races for us last year. The guy really loves to race, for Christ sake he built his own ashpalt track in his back yard!

Should try find a way to make everyone happy and have some fun.

Leo
The main problem is from the people that Russ has or may finish in front of for the season points. The other consideration is that we will hopefully have many more mod sedans this year. I have been trying to recruit new mod drivers this winter at the indoor carpet track. All of these drivers were either assuming that the rule is 2S until they discovered one car was not or they will be coming to race expecting that is the rule.

Two seasons we started electrics at the mall. The Hobby Stop and I ran the races. We never thought to specifically state a rule about 2S for sedans because we assumed that would be the rule. The sedans have always ran 2S after switching from 6 can cells and that's what the sedans are designed to run.

If Russ is so use to getting his way that he can't change to the well established 2S rule I don't know how I can help him. I offered batteries and motors as he seems to express money is a concern. Instead he attack me on a personal basis. Stating how it's all about me making sure I will win. To me he's just being very stubborn and there is no reason why we need a special exception to the rule for him.

The people putting on the races, supplying the expensive hardware, software and the time are firm on this well established 2S rule. That's the only way to keep the racing fair.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2s VS 3s

I been kicking around doing some asphalt racing this year. Reading this is making me wonder WTF some of you are talking about. Any 10th scale touring car is designed for 2 cell racing. Yeah, you can make anything fit, but large events like ROAR races are based on 2 cell. In my opinion if somebody wants to race and don't care about points, let them run what ever they want. If he/she don't want to follow house rules, roar rules, etc then let them run for hobby and to help support the track, but the run does not count towards points, etc.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam B
I been kicking around doing some asphalt racing this year. Reading this is making me wonder WTF some of you are talking about. Any 10th scale touring car is designed for 2 cell racing. Yeah, you can make anything fit, but large events like ROAR races are based on 2 cell. In my opinion if somebody wants to race and don't care about points, let them run what ever they want. If he/she don't want to follow house rules, roar rules, etc then let them run for hobby and to help support the track, but the run does not count towards points, etc.
I believe this is exactly what they are doing I also agree with it.

Run ROAR or internationally excepted classes as standard and used for points (unless enough cars show up they can have their own championship, again like previously stated). Nobody wants to show up with traditional equipment and learn they can’t compete because of ‘local rules’.

Yes, the 1/8 GT cars do not have a standard and it is still personal preference as to 4S or 6S based on your setup but that is inherent of its infancy as newer class.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tomorrow at the track

I'm gonna run a few packs at the track tomorrow. The weather suppose to be real nice. No boards but the black groove is of the layout is still there. Come and play a bit if you get the chance. Your old keys will still work. I haven't heard anything about the club working on the track tomorrow, so it should be available. I'm anxious to get outside. I'm thinking 1-2PM when it warms up.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

I'm going to give mod a try this summer. It'll be the first time I've run mod TC EVER !! I'm also interested in GT8 but I'm going to 'wait and see' on that one ...
I hope the weather man is on our side ... lol

Barry Z

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.