Wiki Posts
Search

Woodville Mall Saturday Electric Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
What kv motor where you running and what gear ratios have you tried so far?
Using a 1700KV. Ratios: diff 3.31:1, spur 42, pinion 21(but gonna drop to 19 with better motor fan). MPH should not change much as it never topped out on the track. Too much motor heat with a 21 and good C 6S lipos with weak fan on motor. Hope your BEC survives on 6S. Let me know here when you wanna get together and test. My schedule is very flexible.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcwck
Gotta go pretty soft early in the year when track temps are cool. Much lower than 32s. I would imagine true greens are way too hard. Soft Sweep, GRP and Alpha for GT8. Best to run the hardest you can stand for GT8 because of wear issues on the big heavy powerful cars. Soft Sweeps, Solaris and Sorex for mod tc.

Later in the season much harder compounds are the best. I have seen the track get 155f degrees.

Hopefully the new asphalt has seasoned a bit over the winter and won't be as hard on the tars.
Ok Klunk thanks

i've looked at the Sweep website and it looks like i need to get the 45 blue dot "soft tires? the 40 green dot "ultra soft" probably would give the best bite, but probably will last not as long, correct? Is there a gentlemens rule for tires, or just run what you have?

What are you guys running for the insert? Soft or medium?

i have muchmore 24s and some sorex 28s. they are older than dirt, but i can try to revive them...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bigz84
Ok Klunk thanks

i've looked at the Sweep website and it looks like i need to get the 45 blue dot "soft tires? the 40 green dot "ultra soft" probably would give the best bite, but probably will last not as long, correct? Is there a gentlemens rule for tires, or just run what you have?

What are you guys running for the insert? Soft or medium?

i have muchmore 24s and some sorex 28s. they are older than dirt, but i can try to revive them...
Tires are open to choice except must be rubber. You can destroy quickly a set of tires on these heavy and powerful GT8 cars especially if you drive real hard with a soft compound.

Sweep has many more options this year on their site so can't give a definitive answer about inserts. Full width inserts are new along with the two choices for inserts. The orange ROK wheels are also something new. The good news is that all the prices have been lowered.

Last edited by rcwck; 04-06-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: rubber tars only
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Bill, I used that site you recommended to get some info on speed for a Serpent 1/8 Cobra GTe. This is what I came up with :

Differential Ratio: 3.384
Transmission Ratio: 1
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 46
Pinion Tooth Count: 20
Total Voltage: 25.20
Motor KV: 1700
Tire Diameter (inches): 3.8
Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
Motor Current Draw: 0
Motor Coil Resistance: 0
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 2.3 : 1
Total Ratio: 7.7832 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 11.94 inches (303.23 mm)
Rollout: 1.53:1
Total Motor Speed: 42840 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 62.22 mph (99.95 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 1700
KT constant: 0.8 oz-in/A
Motor Torque: Amperage not specified...
Final Torque: Amperage not specified...
Final Power: Amperage not specified...

Not sure I plugged in the right numbers but would this be enough to keep up with you ... lol ??.

edit: the above shows a per cell voltage of 4.2 (fresh charge) or 25.20 for 6s. I re-figured with a 3.9 voltage per cell (mid run?) or 23.4v and got a top speed of 57 mph.
Still not sure if I want to do this .... but it's fun playing with the numbers.

Last edited by jag88; 04-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Hey Bill, I used that site you recommended to get some info on speed for a Serpent 1/8 Cobra GTe. This is what I came up with :

Not sure I plugged in the right numbers but would this be enough to keep up with you ... lol ??.

edit: the above shows a per cell voltage of 4.2 (fresh charge) or 25.20 for 6s. I re-figured with a 3.9 voltage per cell (mid run?) or 23.4v and got a top speed of 57 mph.
I played with that as well and ordered the 3 pack of Novak pinion gears 18-20. Guessing one of the lower ones might be the ticket? When running electic boats my batts usually showed 3 significant drops in voltage with the longest platau being in the middle range. The high and low parts of the charge showed real quick drops. I would guess one wants to gear for accelateration in the middle range of the pack...

Also just ordered a bec.. Hopefully that will avoid any damage to my rx8?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

I played with that as well and ordered the 3 pack of Novak pinion gears 18-20. Guessing one of the lower ones might be the ticket? When running electic boats my batts usually showed 3 significant drops in voltage with the longest platau being in the middle range. The high and low parts of the charge showed real quick drops. I would guess one wants to gear for accelateration in the middle range of the pack...

Which bec did you buy ?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Yes, that application is fun. I usually use 3.8 volts per cell. From my experience with airplanes using a watt meter, lipos under a good load will be closer to nominal voltage than their full charge state voltage. Also using that voltage and that application the MPH is fairly accurate on the track with a radar gun. Calculated MPH seems to be a little on the high side and that probably is because it doesn't compensate for the high drag of these cars at that kinda speed.

Go for the Cobra. I have driven Leo's and it drives very nice, smooth and quite.

Are you gonna race the next two and last two carpet races at the Stop??? I hope you will because attendance is dropping off as it usually does comes April.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Which bec did you buy ?
I'm using some cheap one from Hobby King left over from my EDF/airplane days. The main thing is to make certain that it will handle the 6S input voltage and that it is the better switching type.

You have to pull the red power wire from the ESC that goes into the Rx when using an ubec.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Those pinions are pretty soft and wouldn't last a race when I was running a steel spur, with a composite plastic spur they may be ok. Tekno pinions are great for future references.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Yes, that application is fun. I usually use 3.8 volts per cell. From my experience with airplanes using a watt meter, lipos under a good load will be closer to nominal voltage than their full charge state voltage. Also using that voltage and that application the MPH is fairly accurate on the track with a radar gun. Calculated MPH seems to be a little on the high side and that probably is because it doesn't compensate for the high drag of these cars at that kinda speed.

Go for the Cobra. I have driven Leo's and it drives very nice, smooth and quite.

Are you gonna race the next two and last two carpet races at the Stop??? I hope you will because attendance is dropping off as it usually does comes April.

The Cobra is nice but it doesn't come with a body and I'm not sure about parts and it's big $$$ !

Will Leo be running this summer ?

What's a good MPH to shoot for with these gearing programs ?

I don't know about this Sunday.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Those pinions are pretty soft and wouldn't last a race when I was running a steel spur, with a composite plastic spur they may be ok. Tekno pinions are great for future references.
Yea I noticed a decent amount of metal shavings in my off road buggy after 20 min runs using both this and a losi one with a metal spir. Thought i had something set up wrong? I was going to try the serpent one once I figure out what size works. Maybe I'll try techno instead as the serpent came stock with a metal spir.

I think you'll be ok on parts with amain carrying stuff for it? Though anything I get from them usually takes 7 bus days to get (free shipping)

I ordered the small castle as i had good experience with one in my comp crawler days..
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

The Cobra is nice but it doesn't come with a body and I'm not sure about parts and it's big $$$ !

Will Leo be running this summer ?

What's a good MPH to shoot for with these gearing programs ?

I don't know about this Sunday.
Snake stuff is on the high end but so is the quality.

Leo and his buddy Lesh are suppose to be a go this summer. He's usually pretty active on the forums. Last time he said his job had him busy outta the country and stuff.

Any speed around 55-60 is the usual target. Most of these beasts hit mid 50 on the Stalker.

You better come the last two Sundays and do some hacking, Lol
Really, you were hooked up the last race.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I noticed a decent amount of metal shavings in my off road buggy after 20 min runs using both this and a losi one with a metal spir. Thought i had something set up wrong? I was going to try the serpent one once I figure out what size works. Maybe I'll try techno instead as the serpent came stock with a metal spir.

I think you'll be ok on parts with amain carrying stuff for it? Though anything I get from them usually takes 7 bus days to get (free shipping)

I ordered the small castle as i had good experience with one in my comp crawler days..
That CC external bec has been problematic on 6S. Primarily in applications like helis with multiple servos and a gyro. It caused a catastrophic crash a few years back for me. I only use them now on lower voltage inputs and lower current demands. It will probably be ok in a car application. You could rig a parallel harness off of the 2 packs and power it using 3S voltage to be certain.

I'm not a big CC fan. I've had many bad experiences with their products and they had many recalls and warning bulletins. On the positive side their customer support is #1 .

Sorry about the negativity. Just going by my bad experiences and trying to be helpful.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

You better come the last two Sundays and do some hacking, Lol
Really, you were hooked up the last race.

I'm planning on going this Sunday and Alston looks like he's going also.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

New club website

www.toledooneeighthracers.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.