Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Hate to say it guys, but I told you so. Got jumped on and ridiculed by a bunch of people for that. At least someone is trying to prevent the "predictable" battery war. Didn't take a genius to figure that something like this would happen.

Of course at one time, we had to buy a Spec battery at the Nationals. As in all things TCS, it'll get sorted out. In the meantime, the guys with the new kits are gonna have a few problems.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Hate to say it guys, but I told you so. Got jumped on and ridiculed by a bunch of people for that. At least someone is trying to prevent the "predictable" battery war. Didn't take a genius to figure that something like this would happen.

Of course at one time, we had to buy a Spec battery at the Nationals. As in all things TCS, it'll get sorted out. In the meantime, the guys with the new kits are gonna have a few problems.
HI Bob,

I got into mini because you made it fun for me. I appreciate you teaching me how to set up my car. Personally for me it is funner to run with you and the rest of the mini racers on saturdays. No rules..just go out and race. You help make my car go faster and that leads to closer racing. That's fun!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
SMC sells 4300 mah 50C packs - good price, too...

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=121

Meanwhile, I'll show up on the 27th with my clapped-out, old school M05 and have some fun anyway...
Upon further inspection, I do not see this SMC battery listed on the ROAR approval list! I guess we can't run this battery anymore. Please correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Once again for the people who are budgeting and thinking ahead... Shot in the foot at the last minute. This gets old fast.
+1
Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Post battery limits ??????

Originally Posted by BrowniesHobbies
ATTENTION!!!

All M-chassis racers. If you we're lucky enough to get the new M05 Ver 2 you WILL be able to run it at our July 27th race but will be restricted to a maximum of 50c batteries. I spoke with Fred at Tamiya and to keep the field even he agreed with this restriction.
What is the point of this restiction if the m06 guys can run a 6000mah 100c ? why should there be any difference ? I run mo3 and last year found out we still must run the round profile batteries (obviously) cheap 4200mah 40c is the best we can get, but the mo6 could run shorty or long packs of any grade. If you are going to limit this car you should limit the mo6 well. When are they coming out with an mo3 ver 2 ???? just kidding (-:
Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Upon further inspection, I do not see this SMC battery listed on the ROAR approval list! I guess we can't run this battery anymore. Please correct me if I am wrong though.
Looked on SMC's website - as per their list of approved batteries, this battery isn't ROAR approved. However, most of the "stick packs" we've been running haven't been submitted to ROAR for approval either.

If it were up to me, I'd allow the 4300 50c.

That said, I am going to say that the last few amendments to the TCS mini rules have been "questionable", starting with the move from one spec tire to a selection of different tires deemed legal for competition. Since that point, each subsequent rule change has only made competing in this class more difficult for both novices and experienced drivers alike. I understand the need to update the rules as technology evolves, and the need to broaden the appeal to a wider audience; but I don't think the community at large was taken into consideration when these changes were made. Years ago, racers respected and admired the TCS ruleset because everything was so well defined - it's a compliment that's mentioned far less now than it was a few short years ago...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
What is the point of this restiction if the m06 guys can run a 6000mah 100c ? why should there be any difference ? I run mo3 and last year found out we still must run the round profile batteries (obviously) cheap 4200mah 40c is the best we can get, but the mo6 could run shorty or long packs of any grade. If you are going to limit this car you should limit the mo6 well.

I did not even think about this. Thank you for sharing this insight.

Here are my last words and I am done talking about batteries. Some people may not agree with me. Mini's run 21.5 motors. Rarely will a mini Cooper ever see a 30amp pull on the battery during a race. This was witnessed using telemetry. With that being said, a 35C battery vs 100c battery at the same MAH should not yield different speeds. We will use a 4000Mah pack as an example. A 4000 mah battery rated at 35c continuous draw will yield an available 140amp pull from the battery. This is way more than a 30amp pull during racing conditions. I would be curious if anyone else has ever tried this. Perhaps the boys out at the Tamiya track?

Please Fred, could you make an official post here regarding the status of limitations to square batteries for Mini cooper. This would include the M05v2 and M06 I assume.

I will conform to the rules, whatever they be. I just am trying to wrap my head around whether or not I am able to do that using what I currently own, or if I need to purchase a battery to do so.

Thank you

Last edited by Jamie Hanson; 07-10-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
What is the point of this restiction if the m06 guys can run a 6000mah 100c ? why should there be any difference ? I run mo3 and last year found out we still must run the round profile batteries (obviously) cheap 4200mah 40c is the best we can get, but the mo6 could run shorty or long packs of any grade. If you are going to limit this car you should limit the mo6 well. When are they coming out with an mo3 ver 2 ???? just kidding (-:
+1 - Valid point... The M06 should be limited to the same standards.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

can I use this battery? can I use this battery at the TA Finals.

It says 50c-100c

I promise to only use the 50c part.

If I sound ridiculous... think about this new rule; ridiculous
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This should have all been figured out BEFORE all the hype was built up about the new car. BEFORE the hype-statememts were made that you will be allowed to run any ROAR LEGAL battery, Long or Shorty for the TCS events. All that hype attributed to some of the kits sales I'm sure... Had these been denounced a lot of people could have saved a lot of money and time in preparations for Nats. So it's not just about buying new batteries. Everything leading up to the ultimate goal.

This is in addition to all the countless hours and moolah everyone spent dialing in their brushless motors skills/setups over the course of the past year.

Figure it out first. Don't wait for 'us' the racers to figure it out for you thru blood, sweat and gears then strip it all from us.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Last edited by teamstrc; 07-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Why is everyone talking about the battery situation instead of the fact that there is a major rule change halfway through the season. That is the real issue. The M05 V2 is obviously the next thing in mini racing and will need to be bought in order to be competitive. The advancements made will give clear advantages over other M chassis cars. Its not only that they are now being allowed, but that they are not even readily available for all competitors to purchase. Most who were "lucky" enough are the ones who hardly need an advantage over the field. I enjoy the TCS series very much but this is ridiculous
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fx35rc
Hi Fred,

Would it be item# 54132 but it has 3160KV

Thanks

It looks like it would be closer to the Tamiya 18T Brushless motor Item#54181 (2270 kv)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GoFast1
Why is everyone talking about the battery situation instead of the fact that there is a major rule change halfway through the season. That is the real issue. The M05 V2 is obviously the next thing in mini racing and will need to be bought in order to be competitive. The advancements made will give clear advantages over other M chassis cars. Its not only that they are now being allowed, but that they are not even readily available for all competitors to purchase. Most who were "lucky" enough are the ones who hardly need an advantage over the field. I enjoy the TCS series very much but this is ridiculous
It's not a major rules change, but an adjustment to the rules to correct an unforeseen complication. Frankly, this in the short term is a pretty astute thing to do.

Your presumption that you would need a V2 kit to be competitive only is true if unlimited batteries were allowed. Due to the fact that not everyone could get a kit, this seems like a suitable compromise.

With the retirement of the M03 in 2015 and the availability of the kits for 2015, there may be some rethinking or adjustments in the battery rules.

For those concerned about the M06, it is not competitive at the Tamiya USA track so far. It really doesn't matter much what kind of battery is inthe car.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

This QUITE a significant change. Your allowing a car that you cant measure the difference in competitiveness. Thats what makes it absurd. And how is adding a battery restriction of 50c leveling the playing field when in my m03 or m05 i cant get higher than a 40c round pack. For a series so tight on its rulebook, its a bit hyprocritical to make this type of sudden change two weeks before the biggest race of the TCS series. And jackson IS the biggest race easily doubling the turnout of the Championships in Cali.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.