Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Thanks for the pics guys. That takes care of Harbor Hobbies.

I just need for someone to get me a "store front" image of the Coliseum and RC Madness. I can't find anything on the internet. Once I have those two I can launch the new site and everyone can see the full set of rules.

Thanks

FM
Coliseum (from the hobbytown site)

The only thing on the web for RC Madness is the Google street view......

Last edited by robk; 11-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FMW
Sneak peak to the classes:

GT-1: skill level-expert
GT-2: skill level-Sportsman
GT-3: skill level-Intermediate drivers-those who graduate from the spec class
Formula One: skill level-expert/intermediate
Mini: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
Mini GT: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
1/12 GT: expert/sportsman
Novice Spec: skill level-rookie

FM
FM

I have a issue with the skill level listed.
It is a bit confusing in definition and can be mis-interpreted.
Sportsman around our parts is below Intermediate.
Which is not your intention but you don't want racers to misinterpret your rules or reading between the lines.
If a guy is Expert, can he run in a "Sportsman" class?
Do you really want to police every class due to everybody not representing themselves.
Really the labeling should define your skills and where they fit.

Consider simplifying this;

Skill Level = Ability level recommended for participation.
Mini: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
Mini GT: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
1/12 GT: skill level = Advanced > Expert
Formula One: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-1: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-2: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced > Expert

Skill Needed = Ability needed for participation.
GT-3: skill needed = Rookie > Intermediate (Only!)
Novice Spec: skill needed = Rookie (Only!)

Skills Definitions
Rookie = New to racing or never raced.
Intermediate = Have raced 1-4 years.
Advanced = Have raced 5 -10 years.
Expert = Have raced 11 ++ years.

Happy Trails. . .

Coop
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gcooper
FM

I have a issue with the skill level listed.
It is a bit confusing in definition and can be mis-interpreted.
Sportsman around our parts is below Intermediate.
Which is not your intention but you don't want racers to misinterpret your rules or reading between the lines.
If a guy is Expert, can he run in a "Sportsman" class?
Do you really want to police every class due to everybody not representing themselves.
Really the labeling should define your skills and where they fit.

Consider simplifying this;

Skill Level = Ability level recommended for participation.
Mini: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
Mini GT: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
1/12 GT: skill level = Advanced > Expert
Formula One: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-1: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-2: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced > Expert

Skill Needed = Ability needed for participation.
GT-3: skill needed = Rookie > Intermediate (Only!)
Novice Spec: skill needed = Rookie (Only!)

Skills Definitions
Rookie = New to racing or never raced.
Intermediate = Have raced 1-4 years.
Advanced = Have raced 5 -10 years.
Expert = Have raced 11 ++ years.

Happy Trails. . .

Coop
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I would suggest that, referring to myself and others, that years don't always reflect skill level.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like the clarification of the wording. Sportsman seems a little indeterminate. However, the years of experience shouldn't really count so much as actual skill. I've been racing RC for some time now, but I'll never be as good as the really fast guys.

Just a thought.

Jim
Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I want to be the advanced expert sportsman champion of the universe!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i'd be happy just to have the 'US Finals-to-Worlds Classes' announced early (before season starts).. I think 'Participation' will come naturally for those classes during the season for the simple fact that people will have an 'eye on the prize'.. kinda how it used to be..

$0.02
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
i'd be happy just to have the 'US Finals-to-Worlds Classes' announced early (before season starts).. I think 'Participation' will come naturally for those classes during the season for the simple fact that people will have an 'eye on the prize'.. kinda how it used to be..

$0.02
+1

Santa is coming soon and needs to know what to get me....?????
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Putting an age is not a good thing. There are people racing less than 4 years that are skilled enough to be racing expert level at their local track. I think people miss the point of how many people really show up at a Tamiya race that nobody has seen race before ? As racers, we need to help police our own and if someone is sandbagging, they need to be called out. Simple as that. If in your area Sportsman is below Intermediate, I think you already get the idea of what Fred is trying to get out by pointing that out.

+2 with Orlando and Kevin S. If the three trip classes are announced before 2012 and people go into the new season knowing what are the classes that earn the trip, the people who want to spend their time, hard work and money practicing and testing to get better to win the trip, you will see those higher level drivers migrate to those classes. For the rest that want to just race the same stuff they have, spend little to no money on practicing, testing or racing, enjoy running in the B and C main like thy would at their local club race.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

I don't see an issue with putting an age on things. FM has already in a sense done that by describing skill level, the age helps those that don't know understand about where they are.

If MD has been racing for 20 years and only feels he is Intermediate, then that is his call and judgment. Just like if OSherman was only racing 4 years and considers himself Expert. Just examples, don't know the real people, you do need to start somewhere to help organize who/what/where racers are in ability.

The Critical is Spec and GT3 in identifying the individuals to race those classes. If it is self policed, then it makes the event organizer's efforts easier to weed out the Sandbagger's. Everything else, the age is a guess-ta-mate to your skills needed for that class and in identifying who you are. If I considered myself Intermediate, was looking for a 2nd class, F1 would not fit my skills at a glance.

Again, you need to start somewhere. I remember rumblings of a National "ranking" system to make it easier to identify the skill levels. This was supposed to help the pre-sorting for the 1st qualifier to group common abilities. Not my idea, was something from Tamiya.

Coop
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good feedback all.

I'll take all of this into consideration. The main goal is to keep skilled hobbyists away from SPEC and GT-3. We're trying to make it easier for Rookies to stay with the racing hobby with the prospect of being able to advance to the next class, which is GT-3. At the same time, years spent in the racing hobby does not necessarily mean "high skill level". We have plenty of TCS customers/racers that have been doing this for 5 plus years and still manage to crash or not be as consistent as others who have higher skill. These guys deserve to race others of that same skill level for their own glory.

I will be trying the Ranking system another go in 2012. I think I've found a solution and way to make it work for TCS.

When the new TCS site is launched the skill level terms/definitions will be better or more clearly stated. My earlier post was a quick preview. Coops comments are much appreciated.......

My intention is to announce trip classes before the season starts. I have to get through some hurdles first
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation who's got the SKILLS?

Originally Posted by FMW
Good feedback all.

I'll take all of this into consideration. The main goal is to keep skilled hobbyists away from SPEC and GT-3. We're trying to make it easier for Rookies to stay with the racing hobby with the prospect of being able to advance to the next class, which is GT-3. At the same time, years spent in the racing hobby does not necessarily mean "high skill level". We have plenty of TCS customers/racers that have been doing this for 5 plus years and still manage to crash or not be as consistent as others who have higher skill. These guys deserve to race others of that same skill level for their own glory.

I will be trying the Ranking system another go in 2012. I think I've found a solution and way to make it work for TCS.

When the new TCS site is launched the skill level terms/definitions will be better or more clearly stated. My earlier post was a quick preview. Coops comments are much appreciated.......

My intention is to announce trip classes before the season starts. I have to get through some hurdles first
The pre-determined trip to Japan classes is a great idea Fred, you did that in previous years and that worked out great, cost for maintaining our cars
(if you have more than one) is getting very expensive and this will allow us to manage our equipment better so spend our money more economically in the cars we want to be in great conditon and other cars not as much, ie bearings,tires, diffs,universals and all drivetrain parts that wear out quickly!
As far as Skill levels, I think the grey area is in intermediate, sportsman and expert.
In my humble opinion if you win 1st place twice you should move up to Sportsman and if you win twice in Sportsman then you should move up to expert! That seems fair!
Although mini,FF03,F1 and the new 12th scale should still be open to whoever!
Lets get some feedback from that!
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 11-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default "Sandbagger"...

Experts racing GT-2 is wrong!
Win a major race ONCE and you are bumped-up FOREVER!
"Sandbagger" is destined to become the favorite cry from the pits!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Experts racing GT-2 is wrong!
Win a major race ONCE and you are bumped-up FOREVER!
"Sandbagger" is destined to become the favorite cry from the pits!
But is it wrong for a Rookie to race in the GT-1 class???
No! It's just dangerous
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

How are our boys doing in Japan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.