Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
  #16351  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,201
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FMW
Thanks for the pics guys. That takes care of Harbor Hobbies.

I just need for someone to get me a "store front" image of the Coliseum and RC Madness. I can't find anything on the internet. Once I have those two I can launch the new site and everyone can see the full set of rules.

Thanks

FM
Coliseum (from the hobbytown site)


The only thing on the web for RC Madness is the Google street view......


Last edited by robk; 11-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
robk is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
  #16352  
Tech Regular
 
gcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Default

Originally Posted by FMW
Sneak peak to the classes:

GT-1: skill level-expert
GT-2: skill level-Sportsman
GT-3: skill level-Intermediate drivers-those who graduate from the spec class
Formula One: skill level-expert/intermediate
Mini: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
Mini GT: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
1/12 GT: expert/sportsman
Novice Spec: skill level-rookie

FM
FM

I have a issue with the skill level listed.
It is a bit confusing in definition and can be mis-interpreted.
Sportsman around our parts is below Intermediate.
Which is not your intention but you don't want racers to misinterpret your rules or reading between the lines.
If a guy is Expert, can he run in a "Sportsman" class?
Do you really want to police every class due to everybody not representing themselves.
Really the labeling should define your skills and where they fit.

Consider simplifying this;

Skill Level = Ability level recommended for participation.
Mini: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
Mini GT: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
1/12 GT: skill level = Advanced > Expert
Formula One: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-1: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-2: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced > Expert

Skill Needed = Ability needed for participation.
GT-3: skill needed = Rookie > Intermediate (Only!)
Novice Spec: skill needed = Rookie (Only!)

Skills Definitions
Rookie = New to racing or never raced.
Intermediate = Have raced 1-4 years.
Advanced = Have raced 5 -10 years.
Expert = Have raced 11 ++ years.

Happy Trails. . .

Coop
gcooper is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
  #16353  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gcooper
FM

I have a issue with the skill level listed.
It is a bit confusing in definition and can be mis-interpreted.
Sportsman around our parts is below Intermediate.
Which is not your intention but you don't want racers to misinterpret your rules or reading between the lines.
If a guy is Expert, can he run in a "Sportsman" class?
Do you really want to police every class due to everybody not representing themselves.
Really the labeling should define your skills and where they fit.

Consider simplifying this;

Skill Level = Ability level recommended for participation.
Mini: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
Mini GT: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced
1/12 GT: skill level = Advanced > Expert
Formula One: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-1: skill level = Advanced > Expert
GT-2: skill level = Intermediate > Advanced > Expert

Skill Needed = Ability needed for participation.
GT-3: skill needed = Rookie > Intermediate (Only!)
Novice Spec: skill needed = Rookie (Only!)

Skills Definitions
Rookie = New to racing or never raced.
Intermediate = Have raced 1-4 years.
Advanced = Have raced 5 -10 years.
Expert = Have raced 11 ++ years.

Happy Trails. . .

Coop
+1
A-Ko is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  #16354  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

I would suggest that, referring to myself and others, that years don't always reflect skill level.
MD is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
  #16355  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I like the clarification of the wording. Sportsman seems a little indeterminate. However, the years of experience shouldn't really count so much as actual skill. I've been racing RC for some time now, but I'll never be as good as the really fast guys.

Just a thought.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
  #16356  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,978
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I want to be the advanced expert sportsman champion of the universe!
rtypec is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  #16357  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

i'd be happy just to have the 'US Finals-to-Worlds Classes' announced early (before season starts).. I think 'Participation' will come naturally for those classes during the season for the simple fact that people will have an 'eye on the prize'.. kinda how it used to be..


$0.02
OSherman is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
  #16358  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (107)
 
lbckevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,731
Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
i'd be happy just to have the 'US Finals-to-Worlds Classes' announced early (before season starts).. I think 'Participation' will come naturally for those classes during the season for the simple fact that people will have an 'eye on the prize'.. kinda how it used to be..


$0.02
+1

Santa is coming soon and needs to know what to get me....?????
lbckevin is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 AM
  #16359  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Putting an age is not a good thing. There are people racing less than 4 years that are skilled enough to be racing expert level at their local track. I think people miss the point of how many people really show up at a Tamiya race that nobody has seen race before ? As racers, we need to help police our own and if someone is sandbagging, they need to be called out. Simple as that. If in your area Sportsman is below Intermediate, I think you already get the idea of what Fred is trying to get out by pointing that out.

+2 with Orlando and Kevin S. If the three trip classes are announced before 2012 and people go into the new season knowing what are the classes that earn the trip, the people who want to spend their time, hard work and money practicing and testing to get better to win the trip, you will see those higher level drivers migrate to those classes. For the rest that want to just race the same stuff they have, spend little to no money on practicing, testing or racing, enjoy running in the B and C main like thy would at their local club race.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  #16360  
Tech Regular
 
gcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Default

I don't see an issue with putting an age on things. FM has already in a sense done that by describing skill level, the age helps those that don't know understand about where they are.

If MD has been racing for 20 years and only feels he is Intermediate, then that is his call and judgment. Just like if OSherman was only racing 4 years and considers himself Expert. Just examples, don't know the real people, you do need to start somewhere to help organize who/what/where racers are in ability.

The Critical is Spec and GT3 in identifying the individuals to race those classes. If it is self policed, then it makes the event organizer's efforts easier to weed out the Sandbagger's. Everything else, the age is a guess-ta-mate to your skills needed for that class and in identifying who you are. If I considered myself Intermediate, was looking for a 2nd class, F1 would not fit my skills at a glance.

Again, you need to start somewhere. I remember rumblings of a National "ranking" system to make it easier to identify the skill levels. This was supposed to help the pre-sorting for the 1st qualifier to group common abilities. Not my idea, was something from Tamiya.

Coop
gcooper is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
  #16361  
FMW
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Laguna Niguel
Posts: 844
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Good feedback all.

I'll take all of this into consideration. The main goal is to keep skilled hobbyists away from SPEC and GT-3. We're trying to make it easier for Rookies to stay with the racing hobby with the prospect of being able to advance to the next class, which is GT-3. At the same time, years spent in the racing hobby does not necessarily mean "high skill level". We have plenty of TCS customers/racers that have been doing this for 5 plus years and still manage to crash or not be as consistent as others who have higher skill. These guys deserve to race others of that same skill level for their own glory.

I will be trying the Ranking system another go in 2012. I think I've found a solution and way to make it work for TCS.

When the new TCS site is launched the skill level terms/definitions will be better or more clearly stated. My earlier post was a quick preview. Coops comments are much appreciated.......

My intention is to announce trip classes before the season starts. I have to get through some hurdles first
FMW is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
  #16362  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation who's got the SKILLS?

Originally Posted by FMW
Good feedback all.

I'll take all of this into consideration. The main goal is to keep skilled hobbyists away from SPEC and GT-3. We're trying to make it easier for Rookies to stay with the racing hobby with the prospect of being able to advance to the next class, which is GT-3. At the same time, years spent in the racing hobby does not necessarily mean "high skill level". We have plenty of TCS customers/racers that have been doing this for 5 plus years and still manage to crash or not be as consistent as others who have higher skill. These guys deserve to race others of that same skill level for their own glory.

I will be trying the Ranking system another go in 2012. I think I've found a solution and way to make it work for TCS.

When the new TCS site is launched the skill level terms/definitions will be better or more clearly stated. My earlier post was a quick preview. Coops comments are much appreciated.......

My intention is to announce trip classes before the season starts. I have to get through some hurdles first
The pre-determined trip to Japan classes is a great idea Fred, you did that in previous years and that worked out great, cost for maintaining our cars
(if you have more than one) is getting very expensive and this will allow us to manage our equipment better so spend our money more economically in the cars we want to be in great conditon and other cars not as much, ie bearings,tires, diffs,universals and all drivetrain parts that wear out quickly!
As far as Skill levels, I think the grey area is in intermediate, sportsman and expert.
In my humble opinion if you win 1st place twice you should move up to Sportsman and if you win twice in Sportsman then you should move up to expert! That seems fair!
Although mini,FF03,F1 and the new 12th scale should still be open to whoever!
Lets get some feedback from that!
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 11-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
maxepower is offline  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
  #16363  
Tech Adept
 
Laguna Bozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beach
Posts: 244
Default "Sandbagger"...

Experts racing GT-2 is wrong!
Win a major race ONCE and you are bumped-up FOREVER!
"Sandbagger" is destined to become the favorite cry from the pits!
Laguna Bozo is offline  
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
  #16364  
FMW
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Laguna Niguel
Posts: 844
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Experts racing GT-2 is wrong!
Win a major race ONCE and you are bumped-up FOREVER!
"Sandbagger" is destined to become the favorite cry from the pits!
But is it wrong for a Rookie to race in the GT-1 class???
No! It's just dangerous
FMW is offline  
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
  #16365  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
linger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Retired
Posts: 1,132
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

How are our boys doing in Japan?
linger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.