Search
Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
What software do you use for cutting ? I can make them if you want .
I am a Design Engineer, using Catia or Unigraphics, I can export any 2d text into a .PDF/ .PNG / or a jpeg.

I guess I am asking for what people are using for there Vinyl cutting machines, what format do they need and who can create the vinyl from my designs?

I am just looking for vinyl lettering from my design, I already have the liquid mask, I just do not want to cut all the letters to paint.

Thanks for helping!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Black and white PDF's should work for most software. I could pull those over into the Cameo's V2 software and print using that.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SRC_DRIVER
Black and white PDF's should work for most software. I could pull those over into the Cameo's V2 software and print using that.
I sent you a PM. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotorcityMadman
I am a Design Engineer, using Catia or Unigraphics, I can export any 2d text into a .PDF/ .PNG / or a jpeg.

I guess I am asking for what people are using for there Vinyl cutting machines, what format do they need and who can create the vinyl from my designs?

I am just looking for vinyl lettering from my design, I already have the liquid mask, I just do not want to cut all the letters to paint.

Thanks for helping!
it needs to be a vector file. that way you can size and resize it anytime without loss of quality. some cutters cut directly from illustrator. while others need a pdf where it'll print then cut. PM me if you need any help. i have all the equipment necessary to make these things easy to do
Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm needing to get some paint masks cut for a little bit of a crazy project I'm working on. Is there anyone on here that can cut fine lines on a masking material? What file format is best to use? Likely will have a lot of cuts 1/16" or less apart...

I don't have illustrator but use a similar program that can deal with most vector art type files.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is anyone here that is able to take this logo and make a 8 1/2 inch x 11 inch page of this logo in various sizes or any suggestions on where I could have this done?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

So, apparently the Silhouette Cameo is a good choice for a first time user. Inexpensive, readily available locally, and compact. Is the supplied software sufficient for what we do in our hobby, or should I consider upgrading?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Whoa! That Cameo is neat! One of those and a bundle of vinyls and I'd have stickers all over everything. I've found cheaper plotters on eBay that accept a standard 15" roll but they are no-name machines of questionable quality.

As long as it can import various vector formats into it's control/RIP software, I'd be interested in one of these for my own use. I love that it can scan registration marks! Full color print and cut graphics at home is something that I could really get into.

I've got a 48" Mutoh printer, 54" Graphtec plotter and a 55" cold laminator at work for making vehicle wraps and graphics but tiny RC stuff is a bit of a waste if not done in bulk.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
So, apparently the Silhouette Cameo is a good choice for a first time user. Inexpensive, readily available locally, and compact. Is the supplied software sufficient for what we do in our hobby, or should I consider upgrading?
Mostly the supplied softwares are ok for hobby needs. They are great at getting you cutting vinyl quickly. What I ran into was after using them for a year I wanted to do more advanced designs (curve text, modify drawing, distortions,etc). At that point I wished I had started with a true graphics design software(AI,Corel,Inkscape). But starting that way might get overwhelming.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpmrpm
Mostly the supplied softwares are ok for hobby needs. They are great at getting you cutting vinyl quickly. What I ran into was after using them for a year I wanted to do more advanced designs (curve text, modify drawing, distortions,etc). At that point I wished I had started with a true graphics design software(AI,Corel,Inkscape). But starting that way might get overwhelming.
Good to know. I'm looking to pick one up at the end of the month.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 270 (100%+)

Ok Guys i know this has been said some were, But looking to get into making a few paint mask and some stickers..
Does the Silhouette Cameocome with everything i need or shoud i go with a US cutter?

I have been skipping threw this thread and trying figure out what to go with , Not looking to spend a bunch just wanna get what i need first time
Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

I have a 24" US vinyl cutter that years ago I used to use signcut with.
Now I have the cutter out of storage and I need to find software to cut .svg files I make in Inkscape.
What is my cheapest alternative?

ETA: its a creation p-cut
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Er8sr
Ok Guys i know this has been said some were, But looking to get into making a few paint mask and some stickers..
Does the Silhouette Cameocome with everything i need or shoud i go with a US cutter?

I have been skipping threw this thread and trying figure out what to go with , Not looking to spend a bunch just wanna get what i need first time
Thanks
My background, Master Autotech by day. Decal cutter, hobbyist by night. I have had a USCutter MH 28" Mk1 (stay away from the current Mk2 MH cutters, issues) for approx 3 years. If you just want small paint masks and have no desires to produce decals (signage, car, home, etc) I would recommend the Silhouette (I have never used one) If you want to easily recoup some of your machines investment go with USCutter (at least a Laserpoint 2 or SC, Servo Titan if ya have the $$$)

It has been so easy for me to produce decals for others that I had a 5 fold return on equipment cost with-in the first year. That is going to be a bit harder with a Silouette. The USCutter models mentioned above are entry level Professional style cutters. The Cameo is a crafting machine, IMHO.

Caveat. The Silouette is probably more precise doing very intricate small designs. The above mentioned USC are stepper motor driven and less accurate when doing very small or large cuts. (under .125 and over 5ft)

Hope that helps some.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by magnum_junior
I have a 24" US vinyl cutter that years ago I used to use signcut with.
Now I have the cutter out of storage and I need to find software to cut .svg files I make in Inkscape.
What is my cheapest alternative?

ETA: its a creation p-cut
Cheapest current alternatives I have seen are $60ish. For Sure cuts alot v4 or Vinylmaster Cut. But SignBlazer is still free the last time I checked, It has a import function just not sure if it will accept svg vectors.

http://support.uscutter.com/index.ph...lazer-software
Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

silhouette cameo is the way to go. mine does 12x12 sheets. i design what ever
i want in adobe illustrator (needs to be vector art). i usually do graphics for for
my rc cars. i've done some cool smoked glass looking plaques too. i use the cameo
designer program to rip the file to the cameo machine. the designer program was
an upgrade to the program it comes with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.