Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Rody VS Racing Engines - Onroad Motors >

Rody VS Racing Engines - Onroad Motors

Like Tree138Likes

Rody VS Racing Engines - Onroad Motors

Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 PM
  #121  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
VS_Rody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carces FRANCE
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by Pedro Jesus
Rody you also develop the carburetors for your engines?
Or are the originals of the brand where the engines are manufactured?
Hi Pedro,

We made our own designed carburetors some time ago when I was producing the TecnoPower engines. I used these same carburetors on the VSR01, you can see it here.
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce because of the qty of engines we sell are not enough. So I decided to use the OS carburetor which is a very good design too and the quality and finish is really up to a good standard for me.
Pedro Jesus likes this.
VS_Rody is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 PM
  #122  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
ralphierace13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,565
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Hi Pedro,

We made our own designed carburetors some time ago when I was producing the TecnoPower engines. I used these same carburetors on the VSR01, you can see it here.
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce because of the qty of engines we sell are not enough. So I decided to use the OS carburetor which is a very good design too and the quality and finish is really up to a good standard for me.
rody did u know on the os carb there is a sleeve that is press over the barrel part that goes down into the motor it is not a one piece, it has come loose on me 3 times on 3 different motors. I believe the nova is a one piece design or it might be 2 also just has never come off before like my os has. did u know that?
ralphierace13 is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 AM
  #123  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
VS_Rody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carces FRANCE
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
rody did u know on the os carb there is a sleeve that is press over the barrel part that goes down into the motor it is not a one piece, it has come loose on me 3 times on 3 different motors. I believe the nova is a one piece design or it might be 2 also just has never come off before like my os has. did u know that?
Yes, I am aware how both of these are made.

OS has chosen to use a steel sleeve pressed(and glued) with precision on the barrel part of the carburetor itself. A steel sleeve is used because the aluminum of the carburetor is too soft and when you tighten too much the carburator fixation then you risk to deform and the carburator can get stuck in the housing. Using a steel sleeve this will not be possible. Of course if you over-tighten the fixation you also deform with the result the sleeve can come loose from the barrel.
However this can be fixed by degreasing(breakcleaner) well the barrel part of the carburetor and making some small flat parts on the barrel part so the glue can settle there and hold better the sleeve in place. Make some smalle groves inside the sleeve with a dremel too. Then clean well and assemble with loctite 648, remove all the exsessive glue and let it dry for 24H

Nova has chosen to insert the steel ring during the casting process and with this for sure the ring will never move. However this is not an easy process, slow and quite expensive to realize.
ralphierace13 likes this.
VS_Rody is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 AM
  #124  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
BigC2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,880
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Hey Rody,

I havent been able to read this whole thread but do you know if anyone in California/GLARCRC is running this motor ? Thinking of getting one but know I will need help with break in and getting it set up.
BigC2007 is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 AM
  #125  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
VS_Rody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carces FRANCE
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Hey Rody,

I havent been able to read this whole thread but do you know if anyone in California/GLARCRC is running this motor ? Thinking of getting one but know I will need help with break in and getting it set up.
Not that I know if but you might check with Rich Browne or Rick Davis, they are from the California area.
You can find him on page 3 of this thread.
VS_Rody is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 08:26 AM
  #126  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
BigC2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,880
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Not that I know if but you might check with Rich Browne or Rick Davis, they are from the California area.
You can find him on page 3 of this thread.
Ok thank you.
BigC2007 is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM
  #127  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,332
Default

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Ok thank you.

I'll be at GLARCRC this weekend and will be happy to get you setup

Rich

Rick Davis is in the Ohio area...wish he would move out here.
Rich Browne is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 03:13 PM
  #128  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
BigC2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,880
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
I'll be at GLARCRC this weekend and will be happy to get you setup

Rich

Rick Davis is in the Ohio area...wish he would move out here.
Thanks Rich your the man.
BigC2007 is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
  #129  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
mustangkillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,155
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Yes, I am aware how both of these are made.

OS has chosen to use a steel sleeve pressed(and glued) with precision on the barrel part of the carburetor itself. A steel sleeve is used because the aluminum of the carburetor is too soft and when you tighten too much the carburator fixation then you risk to deform and the carburator can get stuck in the housing. Using a steel sleeve this will not be possible. Of course if you over-tighten the fixation you also deform with the result the sleeve can come loose from the barrel.
However this can be fixed by degreasing(breakcleaner) well the barrel part of the carburetor and making some small flat parts on the barrel part so the glue can settle there and hold better the sleeve in place. Make some smalle groves inside the sleeve with a dremel too. Then clean well and assemble with loctite 648, remove all the exsessive glue and let it dry for 24H

Nova has chosen to insert the steel ring during the casting process and with this for sure the ring will never move. However this is not an easy process, slow and quite expensive to realize.
Any testing to see if fuel temps or heat sink benefits apply to the plastic sleeve?
mustangkillaz is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM
  #130  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
mustangkillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,155
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Hey Rody,

I havent been able to read this whole thread but do you know if anyone in California/GLARCRC is running this motor ? Thinking of getting one but know I will need help with break in and getting it set up.
I'm local and can also help you break it in if time permits. Just pm me with any concerns if you start yourself
mustangkillaz is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 PM
  #131  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
BigC2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,880
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
I'm local and can also help you break it in if time permits. Just pm me with any concerns if you start yourself
Thank you Mustang for some reason I thought you was out of state.
BigC2007 is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 AM
  #132  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
mustangkillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,155
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Thank you Mustang for some reason I thought you was out of state.
No, I'm near that track. Heat gun, temp gun and a few other things help it go smooth. You just need the car with good initial settings or a break - in bench. If you don't get it done pm me a contact number, I'll buzz ya to go over it. I can lend a hand or walk you through it.
mustangkillaz is offline  
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 AM
  #133  
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,198
Default

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Hi HSV427,
To be honest, no I do not think that there will be major difference, only small differences can be obtained today. Since the VSR02 has some modifications made to the crankshaft and combustion chamber there will be better power in the bottom and mid-range normally
Mileage should be about the same but this depends also a lot on your way of driving.
Originally Posted by rick oxley
hi rody,so many diffrent pipe combos on your website could you do us a comparison to help chose the right one
Originally Posted by VS_Rody
VS302098M2001
Power*****
Fuelconsumption***

VS302115M32
Power****
Fuelconsumption***

VS302069M32
Power***
Fuelconsumption****

Please note that the * are just to give an indication on the difference. The difference itself is very little between the combo's.
Hope this has helped you further.




Hi Rody, exactly what you say.
I have 2 VS-R02 engines (you know), and 2 OS-R2102 engines, and the difference between them is exactly that.
The difference between the exhausts is also my conclusion, in where the OS-2080 / EFRA 2098 gives most power everywhere (and best sound )

Next season I will continue to run your engines, I will contact you in due time.

Good luck, and most of all enjoy your time at the worlds next week. I will not attend... sometimes you have to make choices.
VS_Rody likes this.
M7H is offline  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM
  #134  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
VS_Rody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carces FRANCE
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
Any testing to see if fuel temps or heat sink benefits apply to the plastic sleeve?
This would be the best solution for me personally, the only thing is that this is not for everybody because you have to be careful not to over-tighten too much the carburetor retainer.
VS_Rody is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 AM
  #135  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Hi HSV427,
To be honest, no I do not think that there will be major difference, only small differences can be obtained today. Since the VSR02 has some modifications made to the crankshaft and combustion chamber there will be better power in the bottom and mid-range normally
Mileage should be about the same but this depends also a lot on your way of driving.
To those that have not tried out the VS02R yet I suggest you get your hands on one. I ran the engine for the first time on my new RX 8 2017 and it didn't take more than 2 adjustments to get the tune on the spot, I paired the original OS Speed manifold with a Novarossi pipe and the bottom end of this thing is just massive. The track that we run here is a purpose built onroad track used for IFMAR FEMCA sanctioned GT world race.

The power delivery compared to an OS2102 ( even if modified ) is that it produces immense torque on the low end yet complements the midrange the original engine has compared to a very midrangey only character of the OS 2102 making the power delivery immediate which benefits technical circuits like ours.

The motor came off just under a 100 deg C and I felt it as already too powerful thus have dialed it down slightly on the top end needle but Rody's motor really surprised me, Guys that normally run the 2102's here started turning heads to see the immense power delivery of this motor from bottom right up to the top at the end of the straights.

Kudos to you Rody for creating one fine motor!
VS_Rody likes this.
BD1541 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.