Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Project: Break in Dutch machine >

Project: Break in Dutch machine

Like Tree8Likes

Project: Break in Dutch machine

Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Roelof,

perhaps it could be the “Heated Oil Bath Break In Technique” or HOBBIT for short?! My profession is Gear Hobbing so lots of hobbit jokes, forgive me.

I have ave only recently found this thread and have really enjoyed reading it from the beginning. Kudos to you for your Engineering and for continuing a complex project and sharing your experience for all of us!

The commercial system reminds me of the old Competition Electronics battery cell matchers in that it’s very expensive for something one racer won’t do very often per year. I expect the people who buy them to make a small business locally to provide service with the equipment.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Hi, thanks for the compliments. As probably already mentioned in this topic that I like to build things. It is fun and it will improve my skils in disign and craftmanship. Production I do not exept 2 I made for friends so my systems will stay unique. The naming is just fun because I had access to a laser engraver. For an advertising workshop I had to made a replacing clamp to 1 of his machines, it did save him many thousends of euro's with for me just a few hours work on my lathe, as exchange he is willing to help me like the plastics for the oil bathand the engraving.

I was already noticed to call it HOBBIT but with the T from the word "tool", but it was just the name that came in my mind based on the words. Although my last buils is a hobbit among all systems
Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Where to source parts

Originally Posted by Wjones1040 View Post
EBIS control box completed system ready to go fully functional. Video to come soon

WFR products ready to go!

Very nice. Where can I source the flex coupler used? Is there an automatic start feature to engage the motor when a desired temperature is reached?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 AM
Tech Champion

Flex couples can be found anywhere like Ebay, Aliexpress, Banggood, robotics shops and 3D printer shops.
Be sure to get clamp style coupler and no rubb screw type

An automatic start of the motor is also something I was thinking of. I would use a delay timer relay with something like 10 minutes.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Flex couples can be found anywhere like Ebay, Aliexpress, Banggood, robotics shops and 3D printer shops.
Be sure to get clamp style coupler and no rubb screw type

An automatic start of the motor is also something I was thinking of. I would use a delay timer relay with something like 10 minutes.
Roelof: what size flex coupler is needed for .12 or .21 size crank?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

At one side 5mm for the crankshaft and on the other side the size of the electric motor shaft, mostly 6 or 6.35mm.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

At one side 5mm for the crankshaft and on the other side the size of the electric motor shaft, mostly 6 or 6.35mm.
Thank you
Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Getting closer to have everything to assemble and try my hot oil bath break in bench. Because engine will be mounted in a vertical position i was going to play it safe and use a back plate on my .12 guinea pig engine and I am wondering what size hole i should drill into the back plate for oil to pass through?

Last edited by RB_Racer; 02-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 AM
Tech Champion

I would say about 5mm smaller than the stroke of the engine, That will be about 9mm. Then the rod has a good support.
Be sure to unsharpen the edges using a slight touch with a countersink drill or a larger drill bit.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would say about 5mm smaller than the stroke of the engine, That will be about 9mm. Then the rod has a good support.
Be sure to unsharpen the edges using a slight touch with a countersink drill or a larger drill bit.

Thank you Roelof