R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #406

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxeater
I got my new sts.28 in today and installed it on my Savage. I had to modify a few things, but I have it working now. I put after run oil in before ever pulling crank rope, this really helped.The compression is unreal on this motor. Then I ran 6, two minute cycles with the engine. After this point I started driveing the truck around a little giving it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I find the motor to be reved a little high at idle. I am certain that this is due to how rich I am running the motor. Tomorrow I will lean down 1/16 turns at a time to get the idle right. I cant wait to see this bad boy RIP!! The motor sounds awesome.. I like the look to, It is really going to look good passing those T-Maxxes I am sure that it will make some of the fellas around kinda pissed. Oh well they should have purchased a sts...
Thanks for all of the help on here. I will keep you guys updated on the progress of the truck.
You might want to turn the idle screw down a bit. #210510 in the exploded parts diagram. (turn counterclockwise)

Also check the throttle idle position on the radio.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #407
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxeater
I got my new sts.28 in today and installed it on my Savage. I had to modify a few things, but I have it working now.
what did you have to modify on your savage? is a direct fit! I put mine in and i didn't have to modify anything, at least not yet.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #408
Tech Rookie

Default modify

I had to modify the holes for the engine mounts.(where it bolts to the body) The engine had to move forward and left. I just drimmeled the holes longer and wider. However today the CRANKROPE spring broke . I am so upset with that. I tested the string length and never exceded that length. I thought that for sure the rope was broken but after dissasembling the crank rope case, I discovered the spring had broken about 2 inches into the wind. I tried to repair but the spring just kept breaking. so guess what its time to contact my sts rep..And get a new one. The motor has only about 1 quart through it. The spring should have lasted longer than that. I am sure that it was just a bad spring. But never the less I am still impressed with the power of the motor. I hope to be up and running by saturday, mabey monday pending shipping of a new pullrope. I am ready to lean this motor down a little and start rippin it.
tmaxxeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #409

I normally only pull the pull-string a few inches out of the pull-start, just leave your arm stationary and normally a quick wrist flick. Going over half the length is overkill.

Were you pulling it almost all the way out?

Also its best to get 2 quarts through the motor before you start leaning it out. You can test if its ready when you take out the glow-plug (be sure the motor is always completely clean near the glow-plug when removing it or dirt can easily fall in or get stuck in threads and gasket) and turn the flywheel over by hand. Go to TDC and past , if there isnt any signifcant friction or just a little snug you can then start leaning in small incriments each half tank. Usually 1/12th a turn will do.

Be sure to keep the motor under 250F and smoking nicely. I usually tune for power and turn back 1/8th a turn richer to provide good power with ample fuel and cooling.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 02-15-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #410
Tech Rookie

Exclamation pull rope

Of coarse I did not yank and jank on the pull rope but I did use it to crank the motor. The compression is increadable on this beast. I am sure that is what broke the spring. The crank rope did not break just the recoil spring. The best thing to do is to replace it with a ROTO START I even tried to loosen the plug a bit to crank then tighten back up, that didnt work either. The only time the compression is any good is when the plugs out. I believe, according to looking at my gallon I have used about 3/8 of a gallon on the settings that the motor came with (out of the box settings). Also? What or when or even do I remove the shims? I run 20% nitro. Another problem with the savage I noticed tonight, The fuel tank is to close to the crank rope and it put a small hole in the tank due to friction. I had another tank to install on it, but this is a problem that I noticed. Roto start is the only way to go.. Keep the post comeing guys and thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #411
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Hi, This is my 1st posting here so I would like to say hello all.....

I have recently installed a sts.28 in my savage.... I have broken it in with approximately 4ltrs of 20% nitro through it.... I managed to break 2 pull starters 1st was spring the 2nd one the plastic part the string wraps around split at the knott.... I switched to a Roto start back plate... but this also broke a gear inside.... I was able to use the gear out of my HPI roto start back plate.... Although these are no longer problems, I do have a problem that has been a issue since new.... that is a sticky throttle, Dino recommended pulling it down and cleaning it. Which I did..... although it seems better it remains to be sticky.... I have now removed the throttle return spring which has also helped but not completely fixed the problem.....

Has anyone else had a sticky carb throttle?? As I see I share starter problems... thanks for any pointers
matt1_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #412
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1_74
Hi, This is my 1st posting here so I would like to say hello all.....

I have recently installed a sts.28 in my savage.... I have broken it in with approximately 4ltrs of 20% nitro through it.... I managed to break 2 pull starters 1st was spring the 2nd one the plastic part the string wraps around split at the knott.... I switched to a Roto start back plate... but this also broke a gear inside.... I was able to use the gear out of my HPI roto start back plate.... Although these are no longer problems, I do have a problem that has been a issue since new.... that is a sticky throttle, Dino recommended pulling it down and cleaning it. Which I did..... although it seems better it remains to be sticky.... I have now removed the throttle return spring which has also helped but not completely fixed the problem.....

Has anyone else had a sticky carb throttle?? As I see I share starter problems... thanks for any pointers

u ran in ur engine for 4 litre of fuel???? wat are u crazy or sumthing????????????????????????
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #413
Tech Adept

no hes not crazy. just cautiuos, it takes about 3/4 of a gallon before it really starts to come alive.
ryan6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #414
Tech Rookie

Default come alive

I will be glad when I get my new parts so that I can make my motor come alive.(roto start- pull start sucks!!) I leaned it down about 1/8 to 1/4 turn already and I have noticed an increadable amount of power gain. My friend did a temp reading yesterday and I was running around 260f after running 1 tank of fuel through it.( this is after the break in process) I did all that was reccomended by sts and you guys for break in. I am sure that I should use more 50-80 percent throttle before going full blast. There is no drag when I turn the motor over without a plug in it. I did notice that the motor , while running rich, likes glow plugs. I have replaced 3, #3 plugs already in less than 1/2 gallon of gas. This weekend should be the final break in process of the truck, after Sunday I should have 3/4 to 1 gallon through the motor. But I still dont see this sts28 pullin the wheels off of the ground on a heavy savage. Just my opinion. I am happy with the motor, However I guess the
OS 21 will be passin me up. Thats bad to let a Tmaxx pass you...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #415
Tech Adept

the sts properly tuned and with a good clutch will flip the savage on its lid when it shifts to second gear. I have done it.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #416
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1_74

take it apart and clean it it may have something in it.. also make sure your
linkages and servo settings are correct as well
Old 02-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #417
Tech Rookie

Default flip

We will see ryan. Seeing is believeing. I believe the motor is strong but not that strong. I hope you are correct.. Break in time = hp. Make me a believer. I have a 3 peice clutch and metal gears. If it does that in 2nd gear, first gear should be bad a**..
Old 02-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #418

Yeah I highly doubt a .21 os is faster. This motor is one of the top performing monster truck motors. From what Ive seen in dynos it beats out the S27S sirio motor which retails for $309. At half the cost I would say its a winner.

Also do you still think its running rich. Temping to 260F is pretty hot , how was the temperature outside? Have you given it 100% throttle?

I would richen the high-speed needle a little. Also after the motor sits for 15 seconds and you gun the throttle does it bog?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #419
Tech Rookie

I thought that 3/4 of a Gallon was about the norm for breaking in a engine.... Well mine is ruuning great as far as engine goes.... my main issue now is trying to get third gear.... I am only getting one gear change... I have screwed third gear setting all the way in to confirm it was second that I could hear shifting.... it was... even with just hitting second my tyres ballon so I can't wait to hit third gear..... My 180degree extractor has a dent in it now aswell.... in your opinions would this create excessive heat in the exhaust? the rubber coupler between extractor and tuned exhaust is turning all soft from the heat.... is that normal? I never noticed it before now .... ohwell time to pull down for the millionth time lol
matt1_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #420
Tech Adept

depends on how bad it is dented wether it will cause problems. also replace that manifold gasket and use two springs to hold the exhaust tighter it will help the gasket last longer