R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #256
Tech Initiate

I decided to go back to a 3 shoe clutch but I didn't have a flywheel removal tool. I stopped by the LHS and asked them to put on the new flywheel. A few minutes later, the mechanic came out of the back room saying the piston head on these cheap engines are too thin. I guess they used some other tool to keep the piston stationary why putting on the new flywheel. The piston head was all caved in.

Anyway, they gave me a Sirio .30 for $100 to make up for it. I am kinda sad to see the STS go, it looked like it was about to get good. Oh well. How much for an STS .28 piston and sleeve?
ntloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #257
Tech Adept

I can order you one in on my next order they are $50 plus $5 to ship
let me know.
I cant beleive they crushed the top of your piston. the top of the piston is as hard as any other . they just screwed up and blamed it on your motor. I would be looking for a different lhs if at all possible
ryan6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #258
Tech Initiate

Thanks Ryan,

I may not be able to install a new piston and sleve myself. I can't trust the LHS as they are screwing up even the simplest things. I am also finding out the Sirio they gave me the great deal on has a problem with the conrod or conrod bushings. There is sloppy play at TDC. Between the engine/pullstart/backplate/ clutch purchases I have spent more than I did on the whole 4.6SS. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #259
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntloser
I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.
How about.. Don't go near that LHS again! Crushing a piston? man. I've never had to touch the bloody piston (or any internals) to remove/add a flywheel..

Mate, all the info you need is on your computer so sit on ur ass and do some reading Piston and sleeve replacement is pretty easy, im sure there are instructions around if you search (google and this forum).
The "good deal" is a good deal for them as u return to buy spares for the sirio, sounds like they broke a perfectly good engine then sold you a worn out one!

Actually I would go back to the LHS, just the once to return the sirio and get ur $$ back.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #260
Tech Elite

Mate - those monkeys obviously don't know how to do even the most simple of tasks. Stay away from them, try visiting your nearest club instead.

Removing a flywheel = box spanner, mole grips - or decent adjustable pliers. A careful tap or a little leverage will see that the flywheel comes away from the conical spacer on the crank. Just be careful with the front bearings rubber seal - don't damage it. There's NEVER any need to mess with jamming the piston when removing the flywheel. Unbelieveable. Those idiots owe you a new engine.

Piston/Sleeve removal.

1) Remove cylinder head - usually a simple case of removing hexhead bolts or screws.

2) Remove the glow plug button and shims.

3) Remove backplate - some competition engines require you to have the piston in a certain position so that you don't catch the piston on the back plate. Most cheaper engines don't.

4) Remove the manifold

5) Put the piston to BDC (to the bottom dead centre)

6) Insert a thick Nylon tie wrap through the exhaust port.

7) Turn the crank, 9 times out of 10 the piston will drag the sleeve up with it, thereafter enough will present itself for you to be able to pull the sleeve out.

8) Note the orientation of the sleeve, but usually there's a locating pin so that you cant fit it the wrong way.

9) With the sleeve removed, you can easily pop the conrod off the cranks big end, and carefully pull it up through the top of the engine.

I hope this helps - and I'm sorry to hear you've been let down badly by your LHS. Please bear in mind that, fortunately, not all LHS are that stupid.

[Edit - to correct sentence]

Last edited by Horatio; 09-06-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #261
Tech Initiate

Do you still have your STS. If not, go back and get it. They would be paying for the damage they did, if it were mine. They are hacks! Like I said before, they are pissed cause you didn't get it from them. And they probably don't get parts for them either. I wonder why your engine is screwed up.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:24 PM   #262
Nitro Tech

incredible
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #263
Nitro Tech

Any one play boat? I'm playing boat lately. It is so fun and much economical
Attached Thumbnails
STS .28 pull-start engine-marine-28.jpg   STS .28 pull-start engine-dscn0004.jpg   STS .28 pull-start engine-dscn0009.jpg  
Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino.tw
Any one play boat? I'm playing boat lately. It is so fun and much economical
Hey Dino. Nice looking set up for FSR-V or it is F1V. What gear ratio 1:1.4 or 1:1.7 ? which class are you running V3.5 or V7.5, motor is .28 to big to 3.5 but way to small for 6.5 or 7.5.
I used play with that back in Russia, but it was long time ago. I still have now FSR-V-3.5 boat, but I gave away pipe and carb from it, the rest still have. May be one day will put it together.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #265
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun 777
Hey Dino. Nice looking set up for FSR-V or it is F1V. What gear ratio 1:1.4 or 1:1.7 ? which class are you running V3.5 or V7.5, motor is .28 to big to 3.5 but way to small for 6.5 or 7.5.
I used play with that back in Russia, but it was long time ago. I still have now FSR-V-3.5 boat, but I gave away pipe and carb from it, the rest still have. May be one day will put it together.
Edward
no it is not FSR-V3.5. Someone told me that it is too hard to a boat newbie. So I just bought a FSR-O3.5. HAHA....very easy just for fun.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #266
Tech Initiate

Hi,

How do I remove the piston and sleeve from my STS .28

EDIT'
I just saw the instructions 5 posts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man
Do you still have your STS. If not, go back and get it. They would be paying for the damage they did, if it were mine. They are hacks! Like I said before, they are pissed cause you didn't get it from them. And they probably don't get parts for them either. I wonder why your engine is screwed up.

Yes I still have it. You know, I had the Sirio apart sealing it and although I am a newb, the STS seems to be better designed and better machined. I haven't even fired up the sirio yet but like I said I miss the STS. I have it apart and am trying to get the piston and sleeve out. I tried to return the Sirio, but they said they cannot sell it as new since there is/has been a clutch on it. I also checked with Trinity and they said that play is normal and as long as there is not conrod play during the rest of the stroke I should be okay. I got everything together and a roto-start I am going to try it out tomorrow.

Last edited by ntloser; 09-09-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #267
Tech Master

Google is your friend - use it

Look at bottom of the page:
http://www.nitromonkey.com/enginerebuild.shtml

Gezz, they forgot to show pictures of some rough monkey busting the piston!

More methods here:
http://www.traxxas.com/support/howto...inerebuild.htm
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild.asp

and still no monkeys, looks like that LHS of yours could do with the internet
Old 09-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #268
Tech Master

The sirio .30 new? good ebay it and pay for your piston/sleeve
Old 09-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #269
Tech Initiate

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I tried Google and Copernic but my search results for "piston removal nitro RC" returned a bunch of junk. The zip tie method is pimp. I got the sleeve out. Any tips for getting the conrod off the crank? I also found out why I had so much problems with the werks 4 shoe. I think the flywheel was spinning around on the collet. This is the last time I have somebody else work on my truck.. Well maybe this one last time for the piston.

EDIT>.. sweet I got the piston and conrod out. Now I just have to wait to get the new piston and sleeve. I am sure I will need the STS when the Sirio blows up after a few tanks. Although it has been a bad week in my RC hobby.. it has been filled with good learning experiences. I may also rebuild my K.4.6

Last edited by ntloser; 09-09-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #270
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
The sirio .30 new? good ebay it and pay for your piston/sleeve

Well, there has never been any gas through it but it has a clutch and flywheel put on it. I came real close to e-baying it but I didn't want to wait any longer. I wanted to start bashing. I have been waiting close to a month.

I am going to keep the Sirio and fix the STS. I will need a spare engine or 2 around because I am going to be learning how to tune