R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pininfarina

Quote:
Originally posted by jfc_tech
i have to say here, now thats a BS. Have u ever thought of tuning it right? My savage with stock S25 engine can beat a GS S.U.T. [which is a truggy] and u meant the SAVAGE WITH STS .28 cant beat the losi stock

forgive me...i hope u just kidding.
you're sold on that STS .28 which is not a bad thing
Old 04-09-2005, 12:58 AM   #107
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to skybolt58

Quote:
Originally posted by jfc_tech
i have to say here, now thats a BS. Have u ever thought of tuning it right? My savage with stock S25 engine can beat a GS S.U.T. [which is a truggy] and u meant the SAVAGE WITH STS .28 cant beat the losi stock

forgive me...i hope u just kidding.
Sorry ! But I wish I was kidding, I have been running Glow engines since 1973, I am sure I know how to tune a engine, cars/trucks/planes/boats/and helichopters. I have a lot of money in this savage! I doubt very much that the 3 speed would work, it needs more than 10% more speed to get past that losi lst. I thought for sure once I put that sts .28 in. and when I broke it all in I thought it was faster, But well it was faster than the stock .25! a lot of snott, But not enough for the losi lst. gearing is the main issue! the lst has a higher 2 speed ratio, and the diff's are higher geard. so I plan on buying a lst, and put my sts.28 on that.. then I can beat my son! thats the only way! on the lost ratio: is CB low 18 tooth, high 25 tooth, and the spur is 70t low and 63t high.. now that is some ratio's
skybolt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:14 AM   #108
Tech Master

1/8 buggies are designed to go around monster trucks Less weight and lower center of gravity woohoo
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #109
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by au_Nightmare
1/8 buggies are designed to go around monster trucks Less weight and lower center of gravity woohoo

If your talking about a losi lst, well that is a 1/10 scale Monster Truck. but it is bigger than a stock savage
Old 04-09-2005, 02:27 AM   #110
Tech Master

Nah, I was talking about a LOSI LST killing machine

A friend is going to power his buggy with a STS .28 I have a STS .21 in my buggy but being slack as I am break-in is not yet fully complete. (Currently working on building a brushless 1/18 stadium truck)
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:42 AM   #111
Tech Rookie

OK here is a good question for the sts .28 in a savage.. What would be the best (fast at high end) cb and spur) that won't strip out.. I had a titanium 49 tooth spur, wit ha 19 tooth CB and the CB wore out in 3 tanks after break in! so sau after 8 tanks. cb was shot! and it was a gpm cb..
Old 04-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #112
Tech Rookie

Heres my vid of the STS in my ofna buggy on around Tank 7. I'd just leaned it out, and wasn't fully tuned, i also lost radio contact not long after (Receiver batt) lol.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=51039
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #113
Tech Rookie

Gee , watching that video made me go out and fire up my snowmobiles, seing that snow! AHHHHHhhhhh the smell of 2 stroks.. that buggy looks to go good. I have a Hyper 7 PCR pbs andwith the hyper 21 it was just a hair slower than my sons losi lst.. this is wht I plan on selling the slow savage and get a lst and put my .28 sts in my hyper 7.. it aught to be fast!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #114
Tech Rookie

Yeah, it goes pretty good, i have it dialed in just right now, it just seems to get better and better, i'm gonna stick it in one of my savvys at some point and see how it goes in there
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #115
pk
Tech Adept

Hi dino.tw!!!

I just got and installed my STS28 yesterday.

I just have two concerns....

1. When I was configuring the radio, There are times when the carb gets stuck when im attempting to go WOT. What i usually do is 'double clutch' the throttle, which seems to 'unstuck' whatever is blocking the slide.

2. On the CG image of the shaft starter, i noticed that the hole for the rotostart is at the side. Will this fit the savage? I mean, the savage's rotostart hole is on the upper left corner. I hope you could accomodate us Savage owners

Right now im pumping some iron and strengthening my pullstart arm as im about to break in the beast! haha!
pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #116
Tech Rookie

ok i think i found the problem. I noticed when the engine is running there are bubbles in the fuel line which are not moving. So i gather there is lack of compression somewhere. So this should narrow the problem which is causing the engine to run high. Any suggestion's
pttf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #117
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by pttf
ok i think i found the problem. I noticed when the engine is running there are bubbles in the fuel line which are not moving. So i gather there is lack of compression somewhere. So this should narrow the problem which is causing the engine to run high. Any suggestion's
That could also be a sign of BOTH the LS too lean and also the HIGH end.. Mine is all broken in, the LS is like 6 turns out, perfect responce! the HS is 3 turns out, and it is getting 37000 rpm. probably needs more time to get the 40000 rpm.. Rule of thumb! rich is Nice Lean is poor! best to run it rich than lean. it it sounds like lean is your problem.. What percent oil/nitro fuel you using? I was using 20% nitro and 12% oil. engine seemed to like it! ALSO! did you take the baffle out of your pipe? if so? put it back in for the back pressure and also pressure for fuel tank.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #118
pk
Tech Adept

Default Re: just asking.....

Quote:
Originally posted by anode
hi there, i just want to ask if the STS .28 is directly fit to savage engine mount? if not what engine mount should i use?
i'm new in this field...
thanks in advance...
Yup. direct fit/
Old 04-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #119
pk
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by skybolt58
OK here is a good question for the sts .28 in a savage.. What would be the best (fast at high end) cb and spur) that won't strip out.. I had a titanium 49 tooth spur, wit ha 19 tooth CB and the CB wore out in 3 tanks after break in! so sau after 8 tanks. cb was shot! and it was a gpm cb..
I would suggest swapping your titanium spur with a good delrin one.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #120
Tech Elite

I can't help but comment here. LST powered by a mach .26 is a fairly rapid machine, there's no doubt. But on a track the high gearing doesn't usually equal a decent lap time - far from it with a big heavy machine like either the LST or Savage. I suppose it depends on what your priorities are.

For top speed, it's a merely a question of BHP, Power to weight and gearing. 55mph? I doubt it - how did you get this reading?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote