R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-21-2005, 06:20 PM   #226
Tech Initiate

I should have know better. How could I have been so stupid to purchase a motor that has absolutely no support in the States. This sucks and I am sorry I ordered the fucking thing.

What are the factory needle settings for this. The manual seemed to leave that information out.

Last edited by ntloser; 08-21-2005 at 07:50 PM.
ntloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #227
Tech Initiate

It won't take that long to get one from HK. PM dino, maybe he can help.
Factory needle settings are in this thread a few times.

Put a washer behind each screw for the pullstart (for spacing) until your new one comes in. I had an OS that was doing that, and that got me by till I got a new one.

During break-in, loosen the plug when trying to start your engine. It helps ssave your pullstart. Hang in there, you're frustrated now, but you'll be all smiles once you get it tuned. It's a monster!!
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #228
Tech Initiate

Hi thanks for the reply.. Sorry for the bad language.. I am just really frustrated.. anyway.. I think, between the hyper 21 pullstart, and the current STS I can make it work.. I just need to figure out how to get that spring wound up and attached to the bottom of the pullstart casing..
Old 08-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #229
Tech Initiate

Cool I was able to rebuild the pullstart using some parts from a hyper .21 PS and some dremel-ing. Damn, rebuilding the pullstart is kinda hard but now I feel like B. A. Baracus
Old 08-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #230
Tech Initiate

Don't forget to loosen the plug a little.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #231
Tech Master

Pitty you can't use starter boxes on those MT's. I don't think I could live without my starter box for the onroad and buggy.
I had enough of pullstart issues when I first started R/C with the force and hyper engines..
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #232
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
Pitty you can't use starter boxes on those MT's. I don't think I could live without my starter box for the onroad and buggy.
I had enough of pullstart issues when I first started R/C with the force and hyper engines..
Mate - you hit the nail on the head there. Pullstarts are just plain un-cool. And rotostarts are a bit mickey mouse. You can't beat a starter box with direct flywheel contact. My 1/8th buggy is alot less fuss to start. The thing is, we don't want MTs to turn into truggies - well I don't. But there may be some clever way to solve some of these starting hassles, without having to rely on one way bearings, crank pins, pullstarts and iffy roto starts. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. More than likely, designs are on the boards (so to speak) right now.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #233
Tech Initiate

i have seen a pic once from a guy who had altered his savage so he could use some kind of starter mechanisme on his flywheel but i can't seem to remember where but it is possible ( i saw it )
savagegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #234
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Thats why if you cant use a starter box find a good friend and use his 1/8 buggy for a day and easy starting
Old 08-25-2005, 02:54 AM   #235
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagegarden
i have seen a pic once from a guy who had altered his savage so he could use some kind of starter mechanisme on his flywheel but i can't seem to remember where but it is possible ( i saw it )
I heard that some guy had removed a large portion of his right side TVP so that he could start his Savage with a hand held starter. How he cleared the exhaust etc was never fully explained. But it would still be cool.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #236
Tech Initiate

Damn.. I still haven't been able to break in the motor because of the hurricane.

Horatio, can I ask what your signature means?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #237
Tech Adept

It's coming soon!!!! a place to get STS offroad engines and parts here in the US.
http://www.racernine.com/sts.html

we are currently building the site and have some engines and parts ordered
also check out the rest of the site there are some cool vids of us winning the odonnels championship with the sts.28 motor and some other racing vids also some tips and stuff and the life story of our truck the outlaw
ryan6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #238
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

thats one mean backplate...cool STS
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #239
Tech Rookie

I just received my STS .28 and can't wait to get it going. Every photo I have seen of the STS .28 (including the above photo) shows the crank case as grey (aluminum color) with a black cooling head. The engine I received is all black, including the crank case.

I think it looks great but is this new/normal?
Thanks.
carlk
carlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #240
Tech Initiate

I can't get the STS to hold a tune. When i got it, I brought it to the LHS to have them seal it. I ran through 2 tanks idle then adjusted the clutch and started driving it.. but like I said it doesn't hold a tune at all and is erratic. I am not happy with the engine and will be looking into getting a refund or a new carb.