R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #421
Tech Rookie

Default heat

I believe that the sts .28 will outrun the os. 21. I have been in the break in process but the crank rope is totally gone now. As far as the temp its always hot and humid here, the day I checked the temp it was 75degrees with 100% humidity. Mabey I need to richen it up a little. I have been using info that I obtained on here to set the motor with and emailed info. Later next week I am going to run the savage sts against the tmaxx os21. Hopefully I will finish the break in process on monday or tuesday and be ready for the weekend. I am going to try new settings on my tranny for better whole shots. I will keep you guys posted to my break in and future race. I lookforward to eating a tmaxx... Just my opinions though..
tmaxxeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #422
Tech Adept

you need to remember that top speed and take off power is not just engine alone. you need to consider the power to weight ratio. the final drive train ratio. tire size, etc. I used race my mammoth against savages they would beat me off the line but my 2nd gear final drive ratio was so high that in a long straight i could pass them with ease. If you are just running short distances gear your truck low for greater power off the line. and the gear it high if you are doing long straights. If your racing him at a dirt track find a gearing combo that gives you plenty of grunt coming out of the corners but lets you run the straight with out running out of rpms. also do what you can to lighten up your truck as much as possible without sacrificing durability.
ryan6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #423
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6682
very very very strange. I really hope its just a bad bearing but to melt your spur is so wierd. I would like to see a vid of it running and melting the spur.
if its not a bearing I am stumped
ok, so i replaced the cb for a vented 18 teeth cb, new bearings, new aluminum clutch shoes with stiff really stiff springs, started up and run another savaga tank of fuel, it did not melt the spur gear but the cb it still fills warm or a little hot, is this normal? or is not supposed to get hot at all?
when i put it together all the clutch the cb spins really good, no bearing getting stock or anything.

hey i didn't have to modify anything on my savage to make this engine fit? what are you people talking about? the only thing that will need to be change is to 4 spider gears, aluminum diff cases, heavy duty dog bones and everything else.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

break-in my STS .28 today follow the instruction manuel. I had went through 6X2minute heat cycle and run 8 buggy tanks of fuel, I lean up my LSN for 1/2 turn and 1 turn on HSN, still feel rich on the top end(not much speed increasement between 1/3 and full throtal, my working temp on pavement is less then 150F, using 20% o'donnal fual with O.S hot plug . is my engine still too rich?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #425
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=tmaxxeater] My friend did a temp reading yesterday and I was running around 260f after running 1 tank of fuel through it.( this is after the break in process) QUOTE]

I think that is still too hot, I would reach it a little bit.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #426
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
break-in my STS .28 today follow the instruction manuel. I had went through 6X2minute heat cycle and run 8 buggy tanks of fuel, I lean up my LSN for 1/2 turn and 1 turn on HSN, still feel rich on the top end(not much speed increasement between 1/3 and full throtal, my working temp on pavement is less then 150F, using 20% o'donnal fual with O.S hot plug . is my engine still too rich?
are you running the 4mm shims on the head? maybe you can removed the 1mm, that might help.
are you spilling a lot of fuel? i broke mine in with around 4 turns on the HSN and I leaned it to around 3.25 turns, I haven't touch the LSN yet.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #427
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to r0x0rz

hey all I need a bit of advice from someone in the know
i keep stripping the small gear on the roto start and after replacing it about 8 times (i wont go into it but its probably mostly my fault) i want to change it for a Sullivan Tiger Drive only thing is i dont know which one can anyone help me out see HERE

what one will fit my sts motor i use a drill start for a few other cars and i like it that way i feel the rotostart is a bit toyish

i checked and there isnt one listed specificly for the sts but i am sure one will fit and i dont mind having to madify it to make it work aslong as i can get the closes one for it to begin with

thanks
Doug
r0x0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #428
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
get rid of the os plug and use a mcoy mc59 the OS is too short. do that before doing any more tuning but it does sound like you will need to lean the HSN in some more.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #429
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0x0rz
hey all I need a bit of advice from someone in the know
i keep stripping the small gear on the roto start and after replacing it about 8 times (i wont go into it but its probably mostly my fault) i want to change it for a Sullivan Tiger Drive only thing is i dont know which one can anyone help me out see HERE

what one will fit my sts motor i use a drill start for a few other cars and i like it that way i feel the rotostart is a bit toyish

i checked and there isnt one listed specificly for the sts but i am sure one will fit and i dont mind having to madify it to make it work aslong as i can get the closes one for it to begin with

thanks
Doug

check savage central I read post on there about someone getting a tigerdrive to work,
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #430
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

hey Dude, my roto start blew a gear aswell... lucky for me it was the small one and I was able to use the one that came with my LE with no further problems.... hope that you can also get away with this to save a few bucks... cheers
matt1_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #431
Tech Rookie

Default you guys want it so here it is

My opinion of the STS .28. I believe that the power is definetly great on the motor. I finally got mine set pretty good, and yes it does pull the wheels of a savage off of the ground in first and second gear. As far as the pull start it is better than the roto start. I put my roto start on today and NEVER got to crank my truck with it, before the little gear turned into ashes. That tells me that I wasted my money on the rotostart and that its a peice of SH**!!! I will never put on a sts roto start on my motor again (unless they upgrade it). I will keep on wasteing my time with the crank rope problems, At least the pull rope is cheap. I could not believe that this thing could not even crank my truck 1 time.. unreal... It looks like dino will have to work on this. Overall rateing of the motor is great, I would say 8 out of 10, It would be a 10 with a better starting system. I will race the os21 tmaxx this weekend with it, Lets see how she holds up. I will keep my opinions comeing, I do not work for sts so these opinions are from the regular guy that has to buy his parts and keep paying for repairs. Thanks for the sts, but it needs some work. However you get what you pay for. Remember that....
Old 02-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #432
Tech Adept

I drove the savage today, one more tank of fuel, this should be my third one, im still breaking in so i got to take it easy but this motor is behaiving really well so far, it doesn't die or idle bad, temp are staying around 190* to 210*, my pull start is holding pretty good, i pull it around 2 to 3" max and my truck starts easy, a big factor on messing up your pull start is pulling it out too much and too hard, if you tune your engine right it should start no problem, but just incase i ordered a spare, i don't want to ruin a day of racing because i don't have a spare.
I want to run at least 2 more tanks taking it easy before i go full throtle.

Oscar.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #433
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxeater
My opinion of the STS .28. I believe that the power is definetly great on the motor. I finally got mine set pretty good, and yes it does pull the wheels of a savage off of the ground in first and second gear. As far as the pull start it is better than the roto start. I put my roto start on today and NEVER got to crank my truck with it, before the little gear turned into ashes. That tells me that I wasted my money on the rotostart and that its a peice of SH**!!! I will never put on a sts roto start on my motor again (unless they upgrade it). I will keep on wasteing my time with the crank rope problems, At least the pull rope is cheap. I could not believe that this thing could not even crank my truck 1 time.. unreal... It looks like dino will have to work on this. Overall rateing of the motor is great, I would say 8 out of 10, It would be a 10 with a better starting system. I will race the os21 tmaxx this weekend with it, Lets see how she holds up. I will keep my opinions comeing, I do not work for sts so these opinions are from the regular guy that has to buy his parts and keep paying for repairs. Thanks for the sts, but it needs some work. However you get what you pay for. Remember that....
just so you know the small gear is available seperate and the small gear out of a hpi roto will work in it as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #434
Tech Rookie

Default right

Ryan, I am sure that you are correct. But sts should do research on the roto starts before selling them. You would be kind of aggrivated if you got yours in and it did not even crank your motor once. Thats 20bucks down the drain and 4 days of waiting. Its all good as you say, I may check into the hpi rotostart gear. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #435
Nitro Tech

Thanks for any suggestion. We are always listening...

It is not because of the small gears,it is because our engine has too big compression. It may happen when your engine use not more than one gallon of fuel. When the first gallon,the compression is too big. Everytime you start the engine,you need to loosen the grow plug a little. About half turn is enough. Then try to start the engine. Once the engine is started,tighten the plug soon.

I'm sorry because we want to produce a race level pull start engine,so we give you the race level piston/sleeve set. We want your engine lasting longer under serious situation. But it do make the engine hard to start no matter pull-start or roto-start. Remember to loosen the plug would help. We just don't want to produce RTR level engine,it's not our style.

You can check your engine,when you remove the plug it is very smooth. Once the plug installed it is unbelievable tight! It is a standard of a race engine. Maybe we should give you more shims but a lot of people don't know they need to remove shims after break-in....that's why we don't give you extra shims lately...but the gears issue pop-out....

Best Regards,
Dino
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote