R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #286
Tech Addict

is this information a secret or something? there is no piston,sleeve,connecting rod or wrist pin listing with tower hobbies. type in piston,you get shock parts,go to O.S. parts listing and there is nothing but carbs and mufflers. do you guys just throw your engines out when they need a rebuild? nobody knows where to get this stuff? i dont have a LHS so i would REALLy appreciate someone telling me where i can order this stuff.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if your talking about for the r-spec, i doubt you can even get it yet, but towerhobbies is the north american distributer (great planes)
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by sean
is this information a secret or something? there is no piston,sleeve,connecting rod or wrist pin listing with tower hobbies. type in piston,you get shock parts,go to O.S. parts listing and there is nothing but carbs and mufflers. do you guys just throw your engines out when they need a rebuild? nobody knows where to get this stuff? i dont have a LHS so i would REALLy appreciate someone telling me where i can order this stuff.
Here it is

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=OSMG2007&P=Z

These are the same parts as the regular TR 12. You will need everything I mentioned earlier as wells as the wrist pin clips.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:17 AM   #289
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
Thanks for the post of your experience with the R-spec, Darkseid. I had the chance to see two of them run this weekend at our statewide series race which was held in Austin. Ron Atomic was running it when he set TQ for the .12 touring class. His car of choice was the Kyosho FW-05. He and two others in his group were using it and they too were impressed. Between you, Sook, and what I saw this weekend, I will be getting one real soon. I appreciate your insight on your experience.
No problem. I was happy to write it. Its not too often that you stumble upon a truely great value, and when you do, your happy to tell everyone.

At my next race, I'm going to experiment with a little exponential on the early part of the throttle curve. Just to make the early-to-early mid power a little more controlable.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM   #290
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hows the fuel millage compared to a nsr or x-12
anyone had these motors before the trr to compair them.
bcquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

it's the same piston and sleeve? forget it then, that makes it the same engine.
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #292
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tallyrc
it's the same piston and sleeve? forget it then, that makes it the same engine.

Perhapes if you can be more clear on exactly what your looking for??? I've read your post a couple times and I'm still not quite sure what your seeking. Are you looking to rebuild your current TR. Are you trying to upgrade it to an R-Spec? What?

But if your saying that the R-Spec and the standard TR are the same engine, then you've obviously never seen one of the run. See one run, then make that call...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 PM   #293
Tech Regular

from what i see add a turbo head button and the tr becomes tr r-spec,

that just going by what parts are in side according to manufacture .

maybe someone could supply some info to say other wise
Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 AM   #294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Okay, I've broken in my R-Spec and I like it! It's lacking a bit on the top end but the power curve is so instantaneous. It definately has more bottom and mid range power than my REX.

Concerning the difference between the regular TR and the R-Spec, there appears to be little. For some reason, it runs much better than a regular TR. I guess the turbo head does make a big difference.
I'm going to use this motor at the next race and see how my lap times compare.

I will be getting another one.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What you guys are missing is that maybe there could be slight changes in the angles of the cuts on the ports on the sleeve. There may also be diffferences in the cuts in the fuel openings in the block and/or crank that make the tr and tr R-spec different. A friend of mine that modifies motors locally showed me just how a one degree change in the angle of the cut in the sleeve makes a difference in power increase and/or fuel consumption.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #296
Regional Moderator

I find all the concern about whether there is a big difference or not, kinda ridiculous. To me, there is really only one question to ask..."does it run better". The answer is yes. I found NO lack in top end power when compared to other 'box stock' engines and neither did anyone else at my track.

One factor that no one seems to take into account is gearing. MANY, MANY, nitro racers think of engines as simply 'drop in and go' equipment. But engines are no different than electric motors. Some require different gearing to make their best performance. I wouldn't gear my original P2K the same as I would a Monster Stock. It just wouldn't work. So why drop in one engine with the same gearing you would another.

For example: I knew that my Sirio wouldn't produce as much bottom end as my TR, so I went down a tooth to help it when I started using it. And I went back to my normal gearing when I put in the R-Spec. I also knew that the R-Spec would reach its optimum power quicker, so I went up on the high end gearing to help its powerband be more useful for top end purposes.

End result...this engine puts out more power out of the corners than my Sirio and matches or suppases it on top end. Just think, if we weren't supposed to change the gearing, they wouldn't make the pinions and spurs removable.

One things for sure, if you don't believe its any different than the standard TR, just keep your original, theres nothing wrong with that. Its a damn good engine! BUT, if your in the market for a new engine, rather than try to 'put together' an R-spec by buying parts, just drop the $139-$159 to get a brand new R-Spec. Not many of us are engine experts, so who knows what may be different that we don't know about.

Like JLock said, its the little things that make these things work better, and I for one don't really care to learn about all of them!

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-25-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #297
Tech Regular

iam not trying to bash the tr-r in anyway , but i am one who likes to know the differance in a up dated motor , not just , oh its better trust me, ive heard that many times from mod engine builder to stock engine manufactures, not very many live up to the hype, i have many mod and stock engines at this point but am always looking for a better one, power is never a problem but fuel millage always seems to be the down fall, i have raced agianst many tr in the past and to be honest thay just can compete with most nova based motors, and thats just the facts,
maybe on a very tight parking lot track they can compete but even then all thing being equal a nova based motor will useually win.

the reason i say the only differance looks like between the tr and the tr-r is the turbo button is the replacement part #s for
crank, rod,piston ,sleeve,block,are all the same between the two,
now yes the turbo will give it a slight incress in power but not enough to compete with a ns12 for instance.

maybe they super seeded the old part # with the new ones i dont know but that not likly.
there use to be a guy on here that worked for os or somethin like that maybe he could give us some hard facts on the motor.
also i think there was someone who said they modified a tr-r who was sponsored by OS maybe he could let us know what he did to make it run good on top end(specificts)
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM   #298
Regional Moderator

Well I'm not sure what we can tell you here then. Cause since none of us work for O.S., all we can give you is our experience with it.

I've owned both the standard and the R-spec, and I can see the difference. Those who raced with me last year can see the difference. Thats the best I can tell you.

What I don't get is that if there are so many questions in mind about the validity of O.S.'s 'improvement' claims, why even consider the R-spec.

From what you discribed, you already have some pretty quality powerplants at your disposal, I don't know if the R-Spec can surpass what you already have.

Especially if you have moded engines...

I'm not telling anyone to buy anything and I'm CERTAINLY not trying to justify my own purchase.(That speed and powah...for that price justifies my purchase) I'm no O.S. sales rep. Several people asked for my personal report about the engine and I gave it. Thats it...

The key line in that entire post was...

Quote:
Believe me or not, think I'm exaggerating if you want....
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #299
Tech Regular

Hey Darkseid dont get me wrong i like your report on the motor and believe what you say , i would just like to see some other peoples opinion on the motor that may have went from a nova base motor to an os, i use os in my 1/8 scale buggy and i think it is one of the fastest motors i have owned for off road,
i think they are struggeling right now with there p/s reliabilty for there new motor but performance is not a problem,

maybe i didnt get my point accross the wright way.
what is important to me is ----
are the new tr-r as fast as a stock nova on large tracks and how does the fuel millage compare, thats it .
like i sade i have faster motors iam sure but to have to pit at 4;30 minutes in a quaily just to finish makes the mod motors not worth it to me , ive had motor modders tell me that they would make more power, and they do, but also give better run time and it hasent happend yet.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:49 PM   #300
Regional Moderator

Hopefully somebody here can give you that info. My engine progression goes from O.S. -to- Sirio -to- O.S. for on road. No Nova's in there......yet.