R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-18-2004, 07:54 PM   #256
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For me, I just can't understand the price difference between engine A and engine B.

Both can have 1.45hp @ ~41,000rpm...both have the same useable power band etc...

...but one will cost $149-$159 and the other will come in at $300+

But when I think about it, the same holds true for just about everything in RC. You can buy a Corally Assassin for $310 and go just as fast with a $189 Xray T1R. Buy a Hara Twister for $250+ or go just as well with an identical $179 Quatum Comp.

I guess it all comes down to what your willing to pay.

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-18-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #257
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by FFR3582
S.Stew- there is a lot of difference between the to motors, it is a 3 port instead of 5 and it has a huge cooling head that is suppose to drop the temp about 25-30 degrees.

I got mine today also

I hope to have it modified now in time for our SWS ROAR race this weekend.

I race against Ron Atomic at these races, his O.S. motors are pretty fast.

I am going to have mine modified to the new engine rules that just came out and I was promised that it will be REALLY fast.
my TR is a 3 port....
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM   #258
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
For me, I just can't understand the price difference between engine A and engine B.

Both can have 1.45hp @ ~41,000rpm...both have the same useable power band etc...

...but one will cost $149-$159 and the other will come in at $300+

But when I think about it, the same holds true for just about everything in RC. You can buy a Corally Assassin for $310 and go just as fast with a $189 Xray T1R. Buy a Hara Twister for $250+ or go just as well with an identical $179 Quatum Comp.

I guess it all comes down to what your willing to pay.
I hear what you are saying. Some people just spend too much money on this hobby. I couldn't wait for the R-spec because i wanted to run the motor before my semester started. I bought an RB and I'm happy with it, it can hang with the other 1/10 scales easy, I even proved that, but on the corners i kept crashing because I don't know the track like they do.

Some people even have like 2 or 3 motors, I just find that to be weird because they have only one car. This is not nascar, this is a hobby.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:01 AM   #259
Tech Apprentice

I beleive they are discussed on the Starting Grid forum, I don't have a link.

They are allowing higher exhaust port heights, I think I was told the changes won't be legal in all ROAR races until 2005 but they allowed them at some of the big races recently????? So I am not sure if that is true or not. I don't have many details other than the changes are coming and it should free up a good deal more power in the 3-port .12 motors. I was discussing it out the window of the car for a minute or two as I left my last series race a month ago, so I am a little foggy on the details. Since the guy that will be modifying my motor is Mike Queller I will assume knowbody will be more up to date on the rules then he since he is involved at the hgihest level in making them.
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #260
STi
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those of you who have already received the R-Specs, lets see some internal shots.
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #261
Regional Moderator

Sorry, but I don't pull my engine apart until I absolutely have to!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:31 AM   #262
Tech Adept

Hey Darkseid, have you started your r-spec yet? I just installed mine last evening and will begin the break in process this weekend. Then engine is sooooo different than my old cvx that I use to own. Just wondered if you got out to run the engine yet.

STI, I took mine apart before I put it onto the chasis and I did not notice anything different than any of my other engines. I am sure the port positions and cut degrees are a little different but your not going to be able to tell from a posting of a digital picture.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
I don't think I'm the person to ask about that. After all, I am a club track racer. We do have a large permanent track in this general area, but I don't make it way out that way too often. So if I give you my impressions, they will be on a 'club track', and from the sounds of it, thats not what your looking for. Most of the guys I see around here with the X12, Evo2, etc... never really get a chance to open them up, they're simply over powered.

Maybe one of the other guys who just got theirs will be able to give you a better reading since they are racing with the big guns like Ron Atomic and other big names on what are apparently REALLY big tracks!

I can share one impression with you though. I ran my $149 Sirio against some of those motors you listed and personally, I wasn't that impressed with them. I often found myself pulling even or ahead of those $300+ engines on the straight(If only my Sirio had the reliability I wanted...). So to be honest, I'm at a loss to understand why people blow so much on them.

But again, thats on a 'club track'. Maybe on one of those 200Ft+ straightaway, World's calibur tracks those things will show their worth. But I ain't seein' whats so special so far!

I'm happy with my $149 Sirio's and now my $139(after coupon) R-Spec!
Darkseid,

I have read many of your posts on this forum and trust your opinions, thoughts, and insights. I have many of the motors that you have or have mentioned and is curious about how the R-spec will perform, whether on the club level or big track. I like the reliability and easy tuning of the OS motors but their motors seem to be geared more for club racing (mid to small tracks). If this new R-spec can hang with the more expensive NS3s and X-12s, then why spend more when you can have the same for less (some of us racers are on a budget). When you get it fired up and broken in, let us know how it performs.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #264
Tech Adept

Jlock, if your gonna be at your local club track on the 5 th of September.....you can visually check out how well the r-spec performs.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
Jlock, if your gonna be at your local club track on the 5 th of September.....you can visually check out how well the r-spec performs.
Oh, so you have one. I guess this is SP from another board, correct?
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #266
Tech Adept

Yup!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I got mine today. I only had a look at the inside and it is practically identical to a regular TR. My motor guy needs to do a lot of work to this thing. Still, I'm not at all dissapointed because I know what it's capable of and at the price it goes for...GREAT!
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #268
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
Hey Darkseid, have you started your r-spec yet? I just installed mine last evening and will begin the break in process this weekend. Then engine is sooooo different than my old cvx that I use to own. Just wondered if you got out to run the engine yet.

STI, I took mine apart before I put it onto the chasis and I did not notice anything different than any of my other engines. I am sure the port positions and cut degrees are a little different but your not going to be able to tell from a posting of a digital picture.
Nahh, haven't gotten to fire it up yet. Its been raining here...and strangely enough for Kansas...kinda chilly too. Its going to be clear today, so I plan on taking it out today to get it broken in so that I can go racing with it tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:41 AM   #269
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
Darkseid,

I have read many of your posts on this forum and trust your opinions, thoughts, and insights. I have many of the motors that you have or have mentioned and is curious about how the R-spec will perform, whether on the club level or big track. I like the reliability and easy tuning of the OS motors but their motors seem to be geared more for club racing (mid to small tracks). If this new R-spec can hang with the more expensive NS3s and X-12s, then why spend more when you can have the same for less (some of us racers are on a budget). When you get it fired up and broken in, let us know how it performs.
Cool, as long as you understand the situation the info will be coming from, then I'll be happy to share my impressions.

I'll let you know after this weekend...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:27 AM   #270
Tech Adept

I have to admit, it took an effort to keep it lit and to get it started for the first time through one tank. But after that, the engine was fabulous. It stayed lit through the rest of the two tanks at idle and I started to drive the car around and lean out the needles. It is a very responsive engine and very impressive. It is easy to tune just like the other os engines. So far I have 7 tanks through the engine and it is a screamer, but the true test for me is on Sept. 5th, when I take it out on a track. I think that I prefer this engine over my MT12 mod any day. At least for now.