Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS TR engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

need some help. i have completly screwed up the needle valve settings on my .12 TR i am new to nitro and dont have a manual for the engine. if i close the needle valves all the way, how many complete turns should i back each one out as a starting point?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

maybe the manufacturer will have some info.

www.osengines.com
Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

thanks,i just did that-they were very helpful
Old 08-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by sean
need some help. i have completly screwed up the needle valve settings on my .12 TR i am new to nitro and dont have a manual for the engine. if i close the needle valves all the way, how many complete turns should i back each one out as a starting point?
Sean,
are you refering to the low speed needle. Also, If you can not find any info regarding how many turns out you need to go, start out with 4 complete turns. Then use the pinch line test and see where you are from there. before you do the pinch line test clear your motor out with 3 or 4 full throttle blips. Make certian your high speed needle is not set to lean. that will be a good begining point of reference. I suggest you do this only if you can not find factory settings..
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
You can even use an OS carb. Lunford racing makes an adaptor that slips over the neck of the carb then you insert the whole thing into the crankcase. That should give you reliability.
I wish someone had have shared that information a while back! Do you know where I could go to find the part number for this item?

I might actually consider getting the new shaft and using the engine for something else, if I could get that part.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

part # is 7201 Lunsford makes it.

It is called OS Carb adapter.

Horizonhobby.com should have it.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rodneybarrett
part # is 7201 Lunsford makes it.

It is called OS Carb adapter.

Horizonhobby.com should have it.
Cool, thanks...

Like I said, wish I had known about this earlier this year. I still would have bought the R-Spec, but it would have made the early part of the year with my Sirio alot more tolerable.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is there a difference in the sleeve or any other internals on the R-spec from the regular TR?

Im thinking i should just order the Turbo Button for my TR.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Got mine today!

pic attached...

Early impressions...

-Man I had no idea how LARGE the head on this engine is! This is like the EVO2 head...massive.

-Don't really car for the black coating. Looks great, but is scratched easily...too easily.

-I see OS is still using this odd ball size nut on the cinch bolt that holds the carb in place.

Can't wait to fire it up!
Attached Thumbnails OS TR engine thread-r-spec.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid
Got mine today!

pic attached...

Early impressions...

-Man I had no idea how LARGE the head on this engine is! This is like the EVO2 head...massive.

-Don't really car for the black coating. Looks great, but is scratched easily...too easily.

-I see OS is still using this odd ball size nut on the cinch bolt that holds the carb in place.

Can't wait to fire it up!
Hey Darkseid,

Let us know how break-in and your first runs go. Before I decide to get one, I would like to know your experience and thoughts on it. Let us know if it is a glorified club track motor or true runner with the likes of the Sirio Evo2, Nova NS3, and Mugen X-12.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

yep. Got mine today too.

However, It probably won't get fired up for another couple of weeks.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

S.Stew- there is a lot of difference between the to motors, it is a 3 port instead of 5 and it has a huge cooling head that is suppose to drop the temp about 25-30 degrees.

I got mine today also

I hope to have it modified now in time for our SWS ROAR race this weekend.

I race against Ron Atomic at these races, his O.S. motors are pretty fast.

I am going to have mine modified to the new engine rules that just came out and I was promised that it will be REALLY fast.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FFR,
do you have a link to the new rules?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JLock
Hey Darkseid,

Let us know how break-in and your first runs go. Before I decide to get one, I would like to know your experience and thoughts on it. Let us know if it is a glorified club track motor or true runner with the likes of the Sirio Evo2, Nova NS3, and Mugen X-12.
I don't think I'm the person to ask about that. After all, I am a club track racer. We do have a large permanent track in this general area, but I don't make it way out that way too often. So if I give you my impressions, they will be on a 'club track', and from the sounds of it, thats not what your looking for. Most of the guys I see around here with the X12, Evo2, etc... never really get a chance to open them up, they're simply over powered.

Maybe one of the other guys who just got theirs will be able to give you a better reading since they are racing with the big guns like Ron Atomic and other big names on what are apparently REALLY big tracks!

I can share one impression with you though. I ran my $149 Sirio against some of those motors you listed and personally, I wasn't that impressed with them. I often found myself pulling even or ahead of those $300+ engines on the straight(If only my Sirio had the reliability I wanted...). So to be honest, I'm at a loss to understand why people blow so much on them.

But again, thats on a 'club track'. Maybe on one of those 200Ft+ straightaway, World's calibur tracks those things will show their worth. But I ain't seein' whats so special so far!

I'm happy with my $149 Sirio's and now my $139(after coupon) R-Spec!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A lot of the motors out there are overpowered for most of the tracks that exist in the US. The sirio motor is no slouch. It's just as fast an NS3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.