R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #481
Tech Adept
 
gfd2726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: S.CA
Posts: 206
Send a message via AIM to gfd2726
Default

nice!
gfd2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #482
Tech Apprentice
 
edracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
... Maybe there will be another engine modified by JP Racing but the deal is not done yet
You're talking about the O.S.TZ right?
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #483
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edracer1
You're talking about the O.S.TZ right?
It's an OS but not the 12TZ line. Currently the testings are only for the 1:8 buggy engines.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #484
Tech Fanatic
 
Z-Mann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 998
Default

does any1 know some basic needle settings for the jp nova s3\
is it a 3 needle carb???
seems a lot of work tuning this engine
Z-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #485
Tech Adept
 
ElectricConvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mann
does any1 know some basic needle settings for the jp nova s3\
is it a 3 needle carb???
seems a lot of work tuning this engine
Try this for a starting point. 3 turns open on top end, 1.75 turns open on middle, 2 turns open on bottom. Adjust idle screw for stability. Note that the mentioned settings are from a fully closed posiiton. Adjust the settings to track conditions.
ElectricConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #486
Tech Apprentice
 
wendellc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 88
Default

Got the chance to drive the car w/ JP mod (Full Options) this weekend. The engine is broken in (30 tanks) and it's still not making the power. It's fast but not fast enough. I had a couple runs with a stock Mega (just broken-in 20 tanks) and he was able to pull on me. I am pretty sure he was running 30% vs mine running 20%, but his car was obviously quicker in every aspect. I was using an older RD Logic pipe and will test the car again in a few days with the new JP pipe.

His engine was running at 203F mine was at 210F.
wendellc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #487
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellc1
Got the chance to drive the car w/ JP mod (Full Options) this weekend. The engine is broken in (30 tanks) and it's still not making the power. It's fast but not fast enough. I had a couple runs with a stock Mega (just broken-in 20 tanks) and he was able to pull on me. I am pretty sure he was running 30% vs mine running 20%, but his car was obviously quicker in every aspect. I was using an older RD Logic pipe and will test the car again in a few days with the new JP pipe.
Try the Skyline pipe. I've also found that you need to run the JP rich on the low and lean on top to get the power out. It runs on the hot side but no sign of overheating.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #488
Tech Apprentice
 
wendellc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 88
Default

When I first hit the track, the engine was very rich at the bottom. It was so slow, it can barely shift 2nd even at 200F! I lean the bottom about 1.5 turns and the engine ran a lot quicker but still slower than the stock Mega. Now the bottom end is set just below where the engine is idling high. The temp is about 215F and it's still blowing out a lot of smoke. What temp should I keep it in?
wendellc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #489
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellc1
When I first hit the track, the engine was very rich at the bottom. It was so slow, it can barely shift 2nd even at 200F! I lean the bottom about 1.5 turns and the engine ran a lot quicker but still slower than the stock Mega. Now the bottom end is set just below where the engine is idling high. The temp is about 215F and it's still blowing out a lot of smoke. What temp should I keep it in?
I run mine at 240-250F easy. Perhaps you need to lean the top more. Every engine is different but as long as you have smoke coming out and it comes back idling normally you should be okay.

The pipe makes a big difference too. Try the JP pipe and see.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #490
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

What is your needle setting and what is your head clearance? The good starting point is try 1.0mm on LSN and 0mm (flush) for the HSN. Mine now is 1.3 and 0.3 and running very good with low temperature. What fuel are you using? Try Novarossi or JP Turbo pipe. Kawahara ZAC pipe will produce the best power from my experience but with lower fuel mileage.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #491
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

One more thing, the difference between switching fuel from 16 to 20% or from 20 to 25% can be like night and day. Choosing wrong plug and wrong clearance can also make your engine run slow but hot.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #492
Tech Apprentice
 
wendellc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 88
Default

Currently, I am still using the stock plug that came with the JP engine. It's still looks pretty good. The fuel I am using is Trinity's 20%. Compared with Blue Thunder' 20%, Trinity is a lot faster.
wendellc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #493
Tech Apprentice
 
wendellc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 88
Default

What percentage of fuel can I go up to without adding a shim? I hate to open up the engine simply because it has the blade screws holding the head.
wendellc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #494
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellc1
What percentage of fuel can I go up to without adding a shim? I hate to open up the engine simply because it has the blade screws holding the head.
Up to 20-25% would be okay. If you are not blowing you plugs you are okay.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #495
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellc1
Currently, I am still using the stock plug that came with the JP engine. It's still looks pretty good. The fuel I am using is Trinity's 20%. Compared with Blue Thunder' 20%, Trinity is a lot faster.
You never change your plug after more than 30 tanks? I usually change to new plug and fine tuning after the engine is broken in completely.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.:Go Engines vs. Jammin Engines:. lanerbrainer205 Nitro Off-Road 20 12-23-2007 04:46 PM
.12 Engines sale all new pipes too. 6 engines ericsp2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-06-2007 02:19 PM
os engines compared to rb engines rhymster Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 4 08-03-2007 05:13 PM
IDM engines and picco engines foampervert Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 5 11-23-2006 05:36 AM
SH engines crazyjr Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 7 01-20-2006 03:13 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:09 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net