Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

well since i race on the pretty small track which is more technical than speed its already geared for max acceleration.
Any comparisons with the STS's against the new novarossi like the LL, RR, LS?
How about life...you say you raced it 1.5 years about how many gallons would you say that is?

Thanks guys im really looking into these engines, they seem to be quite a bargain...but do they compare against novarossi
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Krasi_5000
well since i race on the pretty small track which is more technical than speed its already geared for max acceleration.
Any comparisons with the STS's against the new novarossi like the LL, RR, LS?
How about life...you say you raced it 1.5 years about how many gallons would you say that is?

Thanks guys im really looking into these engines, they seem to be quite a bargain...but do they compare against novarossi
That is exactly the strong point of STS engines.....lots of torque....they are designed for small technical tracks. The D3R's can compete head to head no problem with any Italian mill on small to medium tracks. For more open long tracks....wait for the new Team Edition engine...those can give the run for their money to JP's, Novas and that likes.

AFM
Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Well.. roughly i'd guess , 1.5years * avarage of 3 meets a month (I just had 6 in 6 weeks), 3 * 5min qualifiers and 20min final + lots of play time.

+ sleeve damage from me trying to go that 0.1mm too low and its still going well !
Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by afm
That is exactly the strong point of STS engines.....lots of torque....they are designed for small technical tracks. The D3R's can compete head to head no problem with any Italian mill on small to medium tracks. For more open long tracks....wait for the new Team Edition engine...those can give the run for their money to JP's, Novas and that likes.

AFM

The team engines are very fast. I was in a race this weekend and I was able to run 6 minutes each tank, with as much or more top end than anyone else in the main, and the engine came back 250F idling normally.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

hmm...these engines sound too good to be true . Like i said the track is short and technical so i need the low end...from what i read here its perefect for what i need it ...only for $155?

thanks again, im really considering this engine now. I got another 3 months to decide what to buy...thats when im going over to the US, im in canada and shipping, duties and taxes kill me
Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah I tried the low-end needle as well. Pretty much the same result, I would almost have it almost closed and the response was good but it seemed each time I would lean the low-end it would result in more power from the motor overall. But too much and it would finally start revving real high at idle without ever getting the top-end into shape.

I have a feeling its the carb and I think im going to put my novarossi carb on there and see how things go.
AI, I've found my D5R to be really sensitive to low-end needle settings. It seems to really respond to leaning the low-end out ever so slightly more(1/8th turn) giving it much better response but then I would have idle issues much the same as yours. I alway make sure my low-end needle is setup correctly b4 I move onto the hi-end needle but this engine keeps forcing me to tweak the low end. but I got there in a round about way though.
I must admit my nova jp is really easy to tune, maybe its not just because its a 3 port maybe the carb has somethin to do with it. I would try swapping carbs and see where that gets you. the fact you have to screw the hs needle all the way down just to tame the flow of fuel makes me think you have a damaged needle.
As Nightmare suggested try some different plugs also, I fancy tryin some odonnels but there not to common in the uk.
let us know how you get on dude!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hesky
AI, I've found my D5R to be really sensitive to low-end needle settings. It seems to really respond to leaning the low-end out ever so slightly more(1/8th turn) giving it much better response but then I would have idle issues much the same as yours. I alway make sure my low-end needle is setup correctly b4 I move onto the hi-end needle but this engine keeps forcing me to tweak the low end. but I got there in a round about way though.
I must admit my nova jp is really easy to tune, maybe its not just because its a 3 port maybe the carb has somethin to do with it. I would try swapping carbs and see where that gets you. the fact you have to screw the hs needle all the way down just to tame the flow of fuel makes me think you have a damaged needle.
As Nightmare suggested try some different plugs also, I fancy tryin some odonnels but there not to common in the uk.
Problem with D5 or D5R's beeing so sensitive to carb adjustments is because it has a 6mm venturi. If you use a replacesable smaller venturi (5.5mm), which by the way STS is producing (Dino explained it some posts behind), or switch to a carb from the D3 or D3R, you'll find it much easier to tune, because it comes with 5.5 mm venturi bodie.

AFM
Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Hi afm, initially I kind of wanted to not use a 5.4mm venturi insert, if trying new plugs out and this new pipe I have fail I will resort to using an insert. in all honesty I feel its all due to the 6mm venturi like you say, but I cant bring myself to running a restrictor on my outlaw motor lol but if I can get a better tune then nothins lost only gained
Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm

AFM

I second the AFM opinion ... i have a STS .12 modified by AFM and i was having problems with excessive torque and not reving up the engine ... he recommended me to go low gearing by 1 teeth (one less on 1st and 2nd pinnions and one more on 1st and 2nd spurs) ... and WOW !!! ... this sunday i was training with a couple of friends at the track (1 Mega .12 Race, 1 Rossi Pixy Outlaw Black Magic Modified and 1 OS .12 Turbo 5 ports) and i had not a single problem staying with them at the straight (56 meters) and even passing them a couple of times, with a very noticeable advantage on the inner sections of the track ...

My car its a Team Magic G4 EVO and the engine its a STS .12 AFM Modified with STS inline pipe ...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hesky
Yeah Im not sure If I did submit that info in my above posts. The low-end does seem to be the main control on the motors power....at least to some extent. I just didnt notice as much change on the highspeed , while the low-speed you could definently see / feel the change almost throughout the rpm.

Im going back to square one with this motor , putting the .2 shim back in and going with just a hotter plug. Im hoping this will fix my trouble.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just noticed that RC-Mushroom have the STS 3-Port Team Engines available
Cheers
Old 09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah Im not sure If I did submit that info in my above posts. The low-end does seem to be the main control on the motors power....at least to some extent. I just didnt notice as much change on the highspeed , while the low-speed you could definently see / feel the change almost throughout the rpm.

Im going back to square one with this motor , putting the .2 shim back in and going with just a hotter plug. Im hoping this will fix my trouble.
yeah, with my motor after brake-in, shimmed to match fuel % got the low end needle dialled in and then moved onto the hi-end needle. I started leaning it off and wasn't really getting any improvement in the top rev range, kept an eye on temps and they stated rising with each turn of the hs needle but no additional speed was gained. This disappointed me quite a bit, but i persisted and leaned off the low end to see how it reacted to that and bam it started to respond and temps stayed stable. this confused me quite a lot and I'm not really sure where I am with this motor atm. Anyone know why my motor tunes in this way??

cheers
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just bought a secondhand .12 D5R with a black head.
It does not have any markings on the head and has a letter M on the carb,
the carb measures 6.5mm, can anyone identify this engine? Dino maybe.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Take the head off and count the ports
Old 09-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Done that, 5 ports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.