Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.racernine.com/index.html

this guy is sponsered by them
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
I had nothing but problems with OS plugs. Nova plugs where not much better. The only plus I'll use now is O'Donnell, much better for me.

Could be the high oil content I'm running though (darn fuel orders when they go wrong)
I just go by dino's recommendations and things seem peachy
Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Thats why I ran OS first because Dino recommended them. I am not sure if its my fuel (two different fuels did same though) or location / enviroment but I do not like OS plugs... in saying that around here even OS engines don't seem to be too great with OS plugs?!!? (glow is easy put out with slighly rich condition). Just something to think of if any of you are having problems
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

au_Nightmare
Which O'Donnell plug do you use?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

For me it can punch though a really rich mixture where the OS / nova plugs would just die (others seem not to have this issue?). I let the engine idle for , umm 30 or 60sec I think it was so it would load up , hit the throttle and it sounded like a big diesel engine when you first start them (bruump.......... brummmp......... bruuump....bruuump.....) as it cleared out.

Attached is the difference in looks...
(OS Turbo / Nova normal / Odonnel Turbo)
Attached Thumbnails STS engines-ost_novan_odt.jpg  

Last edited by au_Nightmare; 08-31-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Speedy2 there is a new D21B on Ebay HERE
and they ship worldwide.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChickenLips
Hey Speedy2 there is a new D21B on Ebay HERE
and they ship worldwide.
I have a brand new matching pipe (#0403) for the 21B. PM me if interested.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chickenlips
thanks a lot !
will do
project zen is ok to
Old 09-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I heard the STS comes out with a team version engine. Anyone tried it? thx.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

See page 64 re: team version
Old 09-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok ran the .12 d3r again for this months race. I wanted to get it finally tuned for this race. It was proving to be reliable from last race, never flamed out ever. Just always had the problem with getting the motor leaned out. It was always too rich.

I took the suggest of removing the copper .2 shim. That seemed to help power output as I was basically almost closing the high end needle.

Kept playing around with the tuning of the motor and next thing I know the plug die, looked like it was warped. I got a new plug and started it up.

Then from then on in, it started to flame out over and over. I tried all the settings that worked fine for me before and still it was dying. I pulled out that plug and it looked distorted as well within 5 minutes.

I had a another racer come up and help me and told me sound like its detonating and that I needed to add back the shims. I then took the car inside to have them take a look at it and they told me indeed that the motor had very little space and that I should add the shims back.

Im getting close to around 1 gallon of fuel on the motor , it seems like its still got tons of compression almost likes its not fully broken in yet. Which im assuming cause Ive never had the motor in full out race mode. It always sounds like its loaded up with fuel (too rich) and spitting out fuel.

Ive added back the .2 shims and have a new plug but im scared im just going to be back to square one...too rich.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Have you tried tuning the bottom? Often times you can be too rich in the bottom and leaning the top won't help. Try going leaner in the bottom and richer on top.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah I tried the low-end needle as well. Pretty much the same result, I would almost have it almost closed and the response was good but it seemed each time I would lean the low-end it would result in more power from the motor overall. But too much and it would finally start revving real high at idle without ever getting the top-end into shape.

I have a feeling its the carb and I think im going to put my novarossi carb on there and see how things go.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 09-04-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys,
i recently started racing my NTC3. I run a OS .12 TR which has over 5 gallons and still runs good but im gonna need something new for the next season.
Right now wim lookinig at OS .12 TZ 5 port and a few novarossis. The track where i race has no engine restrictions except its a .12. I read and hear about novarossi, OS, sirio etc...but recently have seen STS engines and i been reading up a little on this thread about them...it seems they are very fast and only $160ish compared to novarossi at 260 and os at 200. but its too huge to read and find out the good info im looking for.

-what is the power like on STS's like the $160 range...lets say UNDER $270. Are they comprable to Novarossi or OS TZ?
-How long do they last...i know you cant give an exact gallons but an estimatate.
-For the price are they good, reliable etc?

Please help...these engines sound too good to be true almost. Low price, good power, easy too tune...not like novarossi with the $$, OS they are getting to be more $$, Sirio wwith the crank problems.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Artificial-I - just for something dumb try a 77T odonnel plug - only brand plug I'll use.

Krasi_5000
I am running the old old version D5 (not the R version), this engine is over 1.5 years old and raced at two clubs so shes done a bit of work and abuse. My friend with a OZ TZ well, I can't say it raised my eyebrows. IMO the old D5 and the new TZ where comparable though I assume this is due to tune and or gearing. Maybe something was wrong with his engine because the piston (on the OS) did fly apart later that day! Maybe engine was not fully broken in?

I am hoping the D5 will die soon and I can move on to the STS R series of engines

For the price IMO you cant beat'em, why else would I have 4 STS engines and nothing else, oh, and Dino's support ofcourse.. Hi Dino !!!.

Just gear the car up a little more and off ya go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.