Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by nsxshogun
I was surprised on how the car rolled it was very free for a belt car. Very close to my ntc3. Ill try to add a shim and drop to a colder plug.
How many shims are you using? What pipe are you using? The pipe effects the engine output a lot.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dino.tw
How many shims are you using? What pipe are you using? The pipe effects the engine output a lot.
Also check your crank shaft. If you see scratches along the intake opening, that means the bearings are bad and the crank shaft is rubbing the engine case. If that happens, your engine will run hot and/or losing power. And sooner or later, your piston and botton head will show you the sign of detonation (the surface is rough, not shining, looks like sand paper), and your engine will start eating glow plugs.....

Anyway, I suggest you also check the bearings, since your engine is not brand new and has been used for awhile.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ill get back to you on the shims but I'm using a RD logics outlaw pipe.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Nitro Tech

Ill get back to you on the shims but I'm using a RD logics outlaw pipe.
Another possibility...LSN too lean.
When you lean the HSN,you need to rich the LSN for cooling. Remember those two needles are just like two cocks. The HSN is the master cock which control the whole fuel flow. So we also call it main needle. But the fuel flow is too big when idling,so designer give it another needle to limit the fuel flow when idling. The LSN is just like another cock which only has effect when you close the throttle. Hope you understand my poor English.

Well,for "example";
when your main needle has 0.28 c.c./sec flowing rate,and the LSN limit 50% fuel's flow when idling. So the flowing rate is 0.14 c.c./sec when you close the throttle.

But you feel your engine is not fast enough. So you plan to lean the main needle(HSN) to 0.22 c.c/sec. Ok,it has top speed now but you find the engine temp raised a lot. Because if you don't rich the LSN,the fuel's flowing rate is 0.11 c.c./sec now when you close the throttle. If you want to have the same flowing rate 0.14c.c/sec the LSN only can seal the sprayer 36%.(64% open)

If you don't want to lose the top speed, don't want to rich the main needle,then you need to rich the low speed needle for cooling.

BUT if you feel you need more low end torque after you rich the LSN,What you should do? Adjusting your centax clutch. Saw many racers have this issue. Why they lean their LSN so much because they want more torque. But when the weather is very hot,lean LSN let your engine overheat. When you need more torque,please adjust the clutch first. I usual rich the LSN as possible as I can then I can lean the HSN more. FYI
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've got 1 silver shim in there right now. What size is that? I've got some copper shims that I might put in. There like .4.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

but it can't be lean on the hsn because there is alot of unburnt fuel coming out of the pipe.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Can someone give me some good needle settings for the D5.

Dino what youre saying sounds good but I have no clue on what youre saying. I'm not really up on all the math stuff on a motor.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Nitro Tech

Can someone give me some good needle settings for the D5.

Dino what youre saying sounds good but I have no clue on what youre saying. I'm not really up on all the math stuff on a motor.
That's ok,just remember not lean the LSN less than 4 turns out.
The piston/sleeve is the new one that you bought from ProjectZen? Is it break-in finished?
The silver shim is 0.3mm.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

The piston and sleeve set is the one that came with the motor. It seems to have almost no resistance when there is no glow plug and lots of compression when there is one. The lowspeed needle is really fine where it is I tested that the other day. I just need to get more plugs and start leaning the motor on the top end.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

The piston and sleeve set is the one that came with the motor. It seems to have almost no resistance when there is no glow plug and lots of compression when there is one. The lowspeed needle is really fine where it is I tested that the other day. I just need to get more plugs and start leaning the motor on the top end.
I would suggest you do the following testing. Disassemble the engine and remove the piston and sleeve from the engine. Holding the sleeve in one hand, and conrod in the other hand (the piston is still attached to the rod). Now insert the piston into the bottom sleeve and push the piston from BDC to TDC. If your piston can pass beyond the TDC (by looking at the inside of the sleeve, you should be easily to tell where the TDC is), then, the piston is worn out. Worn out S/P set will still has compression when the piston is passing the TDC, but the compression is not consistent as it was new. So as soon as you lean it out, it will run hot and your glow plug will fail. If this happens, you might need the resizing service such as RayARacing.com....
Old 06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well just got some hpi medium cold plugs to test tomarrow. Ill keep the lowspeed close to 4 turns out. How low can the high speed be. I'm thinking this motor is like my TR it needs to be a little hot 260-280 to make the best power. Is that right?

Hey dino can you hook me up with a decal sheet?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

NSX: What fuel are you running? Try richening the low-speed a little and the high-speed a little more than what you did on the low-speed. Then give it a test.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

25% trinity purple stuff. The motor can't be lean. I was at the factory settings and fuel was just oozing out of the pipe. I took the temp and it was ranging at about 190-200. I've got some cold pplugs today so Ill use those. I'm gonna leave the LSN at 4 turns and lean the HSN untill I get temps to about 250-260 and see If that helps any.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOL. I thought you said it was temping high, but I guess you were refering to the os TR. Yeah def lean it out.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Damn it I think my starter box charger is dead. SO now ill have to get another one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.