STS engines

Old 03-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hmmm... back to the past....
i still remember my STS 5P with the purple heatsink. it serves me well..in fact my 1st nitro engine. The 1st one to get me to the a-main. i would get the same engine or the updated one if not my lhs stop selling them

that time, my engine loves running at higher temp...like 130 C it perform flawlessly. Until i broke the crank pin becoz i run colder..like at 90C....my fault. i still have the original p/s though. still tight at the top..even after 4 gallons. my fault.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

That's nice to hear. Looks like the D5R will replace my NSR soon Anyway, I am only worried about replacement parts since there is no authorised dealer here.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

I have nothing locally either - I hit up http://rc-mushroom.com for my STS spares..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by porter
Hi everybody, I have a few questions. I just received my brand new D3R, and am getting ready for the break in process. Be aware that I am very new to nitro, and some of these questions may sound a little dumb.

1. I was unaware that there was not a plug included with the engine, and would like to know what you recommend, for break in process, and for running with 20% and 30% fuels?

2. Do you recommend disasembling the engine, and cleaning the internals before begining the break in process?

3. Should you be able to turn the engine over by hand? I can turn it to the top of the stroke, and then it feels like it is locked.

4. Should a lower nitro percentage be used during break in, or should you use 20% or 30%, as you would be racing with?

5. Should any oil, be placed in engine before turning over for the first time, or do you just put fuel in the tank and crank it?

I think thats about it for now, Thanks!
1)Yes we don't produce plug. I usual use Nova or OS plug. And the O'donnel's plug is also very good. For break-in I will use #5 plug,for race I use #6. I use #7 only when the weather is hotter than 30C.

2)Yes. I usual disassemble the engine fully. Clean it carefully. Remove the grease of the bearings. Remove all the edges of sleeve's ports. Check if there is any non smooth. Then assemble it with care also lubricate all moving parts. You will have a tuned engine and get 100% power. That is what all experts do.

3)That is normal. That is why you need to break-in it.

4)If you are not expert I suggest lower % for break-in.

5)It doesn't matter because that is a new engine. There is some oil in it already. But if you wash the engine like what I said,you need to lubricate all moving parts.

Regards,
Dino
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks Dino, excactly what I was looking for
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Dino ran today at my normal track and it was gooood 190's early morning, 200-230 all day and it put me in the A so i'm real happy
Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by BundyMan
That's nice to hear. Looks like the D5R will replace my NSR soon Anyway, I am only worried about replacement parts since there is no authorised dealer here.
the nearest is Singapore

Asean Distributor
H. M. W. Hobbies Trading
255-A Changi Road Singapore 419745
e-mail : [email protected]
HP : +65 9739 4997
Phone : +65 6853 3428
Fax : +65 6853 0997

Last edited by jfc_tech; 03-20-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi Dino

I own a STS D.21 buggy engine
the initial settings of the carburator are they set for breaking-in
or must I open a bit high and low ???

my shop gave me a #3 plug , I think my #6 plug would be better for breaking-in ??? no ?

if I let the initial compressionrings in like the are, could I have troubles running only 16% fuel RB ??

I would run a 13 teeth clutch on our long circuit straight , is it better to replace it with the 14 teeth ???

will the D.21 run well with a sportwerks 053 pipe ??

Last edited by speedy2; 03-21-2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by speedy2
hi Dino

my shop gave me a #3 plug , I think my #6 plug would be better for breaking-in ??? no ?

if I let the initial compressionrings in like the are, could I have troubles running only 16% fuel RB ??

I would run a 13 teeth clutch on our long circuit straight , is it better to replace it with the 14 teeth ???

i think 14t would be a safer choice and less stressful for the engine. and definately a hot plug for running in.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by speedy2
hi Dino

1)Yes the initial setting of the carb. is for break-in. You don't need to open a bit the needles. In fact in most case they need to lean the needles a bit.

2)Yes hotter plug like #3 is good for break-in. The engine will not that easy to be shutdown under rich setting. You need to change back to #5 after break-in process.

3)I still would suggest you to use 25% Nitro. Because when the nitro component is not that much,people may over leaning their engine for getting the same power. So it depend on what your friend using? If all of your friends are using 16%,well that is ok.

4)Yes,14t may better. It depend on your car. If your car is light you don't need 13t clutch bell. Also if your track is high speed track you even may need 15t clutch bell and high speed tuned pipe.

5)Should be ok.
Regards,
Dino
Old 03-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Dino, I may be getting the engine tomorrow from Sunny. Is it ok to use the WOT method to break in the engine??
Old 03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Nitro Tech

Dino, I may be getting the engine tomorrow from Sunny. Is it ok to use the WOT method to break in the engine??
Yes,it is good for the first or second tank. It will clean the engine fully.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Bundy...don tell em u gonna use that this weekend, eh

i wish u al the best. i want to see STS win more races here locally.
btw, sunny is a good guy. i've seen & talk to him..in a group of coz. really friendly guy. last time, he's the one provide us the STS stock for our lhs...but now, our lhs stop ordering becoz local racers..as other said..got better engine...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

OT,

Don't think there is sufficient time to run in the engine for this race. Another top driver will be testing it as well ....if its really as good as the nova based engines then there should be a market for this engine as the current Novas are getting more expensive
Old 03-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

who's driving with one?
Make sure not the chekai chekai one...if not, the result will not be as expected.
the D5R was driven by a singaporean driver, JoehWee, and won on our last year KKiiRR race and brought home RM3,000. that time, the engine was still a prototype...Sunny just let Joehwee test it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.