R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i would use a P7 plug....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #167
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Muscle View Post
looks like your just trying to make stuff look neat, cool, and pretty now. i dont see how in any way those cuts under the boost port help performance.
FROM MASSIVE MODS WEBSITE.

Well besides many years of hands on experience we use a custom made timing program. What we do is measure the engine's port timing which we put into a timing program which interprets the measurements into Degrees . So then we have the perameters of the engine in black and white, such as Bore, Stroke,Rod Centres, CC Cap , Exhaust Duration,Transfer and Boost Port duration ,Blowdown transfer timing X 2 , Induction opening ,closing and total duration, Head Volume , Head Gap and Exhaust length... We then copy this line of information into a thoretical line of which we can then change the perameters and see in real time how they change and inter act with each other. Its very important to understand how to make these work together. Once we are happy with the theory we then cut the engine to those new perameters. Besides having successfully modified hundreds of motors before i ever had this program , with it , makes for a very powerful combination in achieving ultimate performance. There is absolutley no guess work , just RESULTS !

Dont you think it would be a waste of time doing what he does just to make it look nice???? You cant see any of the modding without pulling the engine down....

These mods make a huge difference in performance, I see it with my own eyes every race meet. I just seems alot of people cant handle the fact that Go motors are as fast as much more expensive well known engines on the market, with or without the mods!!
Rookie 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #168
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie 4.6 View Post

Dont you think it would be a waste of time doing what he does just to make it look nice???? You cant see any of the modding without pulling the engine down....

These mods make a huge difference in performance, I see it with my own eyes every race meet. I just seems alot of people cant handle the fact that Go motors are as fast as much more expensive well known engines on the market, with or without the mods!!
so tell me, what do those cuts under the boost port do then? I know what all mark does and everything he uses, im not denying that he doesnt know how to mod and engine because he can, just that some stuff has no purpose but to look pretty.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #169
Tech Master

Hey Guys

there are a number of reasons i do what i do . and i dont want to sound like im being petty in my response. Ill be completely frank with you as you pose interesting and valid questions.

Firstly presentation is important. If i were to hand back a motor with work inside that looked rough and dirty you would have a hard time thinking it was done well, or that you got your moneys worth..
Secondly under every bonnet of any performance car is a picture of exquisite parts and machinery well presented which is part of the appeal. this is very important to the astetic . While the cuts i do in the sleeve and crank DO actually serve a purpose its up to you to determine what it is.. i can show you my secrets but i dont have to explain them .. with all due respect : ) Every cut you see there serves a purpose, its a bonus that its done in a very well presented manner.
Probably 90% of people that get their engine modded pull it apart as soon as they get it back to take pics, show friends, look at how cool it is .. its all part of the romance of the product.
I would understand your concern if all i did was polish and cut things to look pretty ... but that is an assumption on your part and is not accurate information. I could mod an engine and you could inspect the internals and not be able to tell it was even touched.. But wheres the fun in that ?

Hope this helps : )

Cheers MM
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #170
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido41 View Post
did this help when you sealed the joint and pinch bolt?
I had a leak on my previous (RTR) motor and it helped. I sealed those spots per Russel's advice and I have had nothing but predictable tuning so far. I am about finished with breakin, so I'll pull off the backplate and seal that too before I hit the track.
AZTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #171
Tech Regular

Tomb the people who have been experienceing the engine getting lean are more than likely experiencing the air leak that needs to be sealed. If you know anyone who is having problems with there engine please let them know about how to seal the carb. This also brings me to my second point the LSN is very sensitive on these engines when the needle is close if you turn it any more than an hour at a time it will be way off, when i get mine close I only turn it a blade at a time. Also please be sure to Idle gap the carb with a 1-1.5mm drill bit, That usually is a big help in finding tune and also a big help in getting the LSN right.

Jason, we have found that with the O.S. p3 plug we get great performance and long life without any detonation problems, The hotter the plug the better the idle and the easier it is to tune. I feel it is more important on race day to have a good tune on an engine then try and get a little more performance out of a colder plug and possibly fight tunning or flameout issues, When it comes to the standard head though I do like the cold plugs Go #6 or O.S. A3. I ship the engines with the Go #5 because it is a middle of the range and will cover a large geographic of inexperienced or experienced customers as well as varying climates and Nitro Content.

Rookie 4.6 I definately agree with you that people don't want to believe that these engines are as good as the more expensive mills, we are trying hard to break that stereotype. I had some one run around (true story) and told one of my team drivers that Go dumpster dives the Novarossi factory and takes all there seconded crankcases. Complete nonsense.

Dido I reccomend that AZTman silicone his pinch bolt not necessarilly for air leaks, It will help against that but it is more of a safety precaution so that the pinch bolt won't loosen and fall out. Its in agreement with what MM has said about not needing to overly tighten the pinch bolt and thread lock can make dissambly difficult. If you coat both sides with a little silicone you don't have to worry about loosing the pinch bolt (that will really ruin your race day)
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks Rocket42 and AZTman for the advice.
dido41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #173
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kemorc Send a message via MSN to Kemorc

this follows for all types of engines, about why polishing is a myth with in a myth...

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-porting.html

or read up on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinde...ishing.22_Myth
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #174
Tech Master

I have been speaking to the Go Factory regarding the air leak . The problem will be no more as they are introducing another new carb design . it will have some small but significant changes.
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
I have been speaking to the Go Factory regarding the air leak . The problem will be no more as they are introducing another new carb design . it will have some small but significant changes.
are they going to replace the ones that are bad? or do we have to buy the new one?
thanks
dido41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #176
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemorc View Post
this follows for all types of engines, about why polishing is a myth with in a myth...

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-porting.html

or read up on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinde...ishing.22_Myth
kemorc .. would you like a spatula for that egg ? ... Both these articles refer to 4 stroke Valve engines and the myths behind port polishing which i completely agree with, Porting is a term from 4 stroke modification that has crossed over to 2 stroke mods along with a lot of the myths behind it... the two are very different types of modification .. I suggest that you try to get your information straight. and re read MY post .. it explains everything.. if you were to read it properly you would not have made such a fool of your self ..

I will try to explain it to you in very very simple english , say the following to your self very slowly ...

When you work on a motor it gets dirty ....
it also gets rough from being cut with a tool ... like a dremmell
it is nice to smooth these surfaces so it is presentable ....
clean is good ... nice motor clean ...

i hope to god this helps

Now can we please get back on subject which is not my mods but Go Tech engines

Kind Regards MM
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #177
Tech Adept

you have got to be kidding me

getting better performance out of port polishing is nothing but a myth, no matter HOW many cycles the engine runs on, valves or no valves.

port polishing has been discussed before... all port polishing is good for is eye candy and shelf queens.

If you think there is honestly a difference between polishing ports on a 2 cycle and ports on a 4 cycle... i question your skills as a modder.

When porting... or grinding or doing whatever work to a sleeve, everyone knows its best to emulate the scuffed finish that the engine initially came with.

Ever felt the wing of an airplane? ever notice how rough it is? Polish that and try to take it for a flight...

Last edited by Kemorc; 07-10-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Kemorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #178
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido41 View Post
are they going to replace the ones that are bad? or do we have to buy the new one?
thanks
the one you have is fine , just seal it up. The new design includes a few minor changes . including the LSN
Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #179
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemorc View Post
you have got to be kidding me

getting better performance out of port polishing is nothing but a myth, no matter HOW many cycles the engine runs on, valves or no valves.

port polishing has been discussed before... all port polishing is good for is eye candy and shelf queens.

If you think there is honestly a difference between polishing ports on a 2 cycle and ports on a 4 cycle... i question your skills as a modder.

When porting... or grinding or doing whatever work to a sleeve, everyone knows its best to emulate the scuffed finish that the engine initially came with.
Please show me the quote where any one in this thread stated that polising creates more power ?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #180
Tech Adept

no one ever did. another member questioned why you make it all polished, because he obviously knows that it hurts performance.

no one ever criticized either, all we did was state the obvious and hoped that you'd take it into consideration.

I realize an engine gets "dirty" after the cuts... but you are still going far beyond "cleaning" the internals. That is ALL we have been saying.