Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NEW Engine out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I have been running Alphas since the start of 2010 and I'm VERY impressed with them thus far. The Orange Head is a MONSTER in my Truggy, and the Green head is a rocketship in my Buggy! $200 for the engine...and I can run more then $200 in fuel through it before I need to do major service? Sounds like a win to me....try running $500 worth of fuel in a Speed before it needs servicing. Awesome engines (Speeds), but with that price tag....it's hard to justify unless someone is giving you a NICE break on the price of the engine.

$279 for my Alpha with a pipe....hard to beat from my perspective. More power than a mortal will need. Even Ryan Lutz runs one....STOCK at that. He loves em so far.....

The B5/B6 is also a killer engine combo for the $200 price point, but if you are not a fan of Werks no one will convince you to try one ;-) LOTS of locals run them with great results. We're seeing more and more Alphas though....and no complaints about them.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway
Where can you get 1 Speed and P/S/R and bearings for $500- $550? I guess I am not a savy shopper. But I can get that 16-18 out of 2 B5's for over $150less. Until I tried the B5 I was on the O.S. wagon too. I've owned speeds and Blue Heads. They were all great. But after I got off the speed high I wanted to see if there was something out there that was close but for alot less money and the B5 answered that call.

I never equated the speed to be more relaible over the blue head. They are both just as reliable. To me O.S. is reliable(minus the rear bearing fiasco of a few years ago) The speed out lasts the blue head without question.
im not 100 % sure on pricing cause i haven't bought any OS engine or parts since the Ninja JX came out, but when i was the blue head were like 250 and the speed was like 420.. rebuild is like 120. If you run OS there is no doubt the ninja is the best bang for the buck hands down. I really like the star based engines too but i highly doubt you'll get 9 gallons out of a star based engine w/o some work.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg B
I heard through the grapevine that Losi wanted a engine to call their own and they wanted it built as close to the OS speed as they could get it and offer it at a great price. Horizon (Losi) had Novarossi build the Nitrotec engine. Have also heard from the Losi boy's in Ohio that the engine is excellent. Dunno the truth behind this one but that's the skuttle-butt going around.
Don't know about the story, but the Nitrotec is a sweet little engine! It is really just a nova P3XLT though.

Originally Posted by jpalessi
ok now with that being said.. this is how i see it, please take it for what its worth.

any of us can buy 1 speed engine and a extra P/S/R set w/bearings for the same it would cost for 2 blue heads. Now the 2 blue heads I'd get maybe 7gallons if im lucky for a total of 14 gallons between the 2, then they go in the garbage.
That 1 speed and parts i will get about 16-18 and have a better, more reliable, faster engine. my 0.2
Wise man!

Speed can be found online for around $400 from Hong Kong retailers. P?S?R combo can be had for $150 on ebay.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MotoGod
I have been running Alphas since the start of 2010 and I'm VERY impressed with them thus far. The Orange Head is a MONSTER in my Truggy, and the Green head is a rocketship in my Buggy! $200 for the engine...and I can run more then $200 in fuel through it before I need to do major service? Sounds like a win to me....try running $500 worth of fuel in a Speed before it needs servicing. Awesome engines (Speeds), but with that price tag....it's hard to justify unless someone is giving you a NICE break on the price of the engine.

$279 for my Alpha with a pipe....hard to beat from my perspective. More power than a mortal will need. Even Ryan Lutz runs one....STOCK at that. He loves em so far.....

The B5/B6 is also a killer engine combo for the $200 price point, but if you are not a fan of Werks no one will convince you to try one ;-) LOTS of locals run them with great results. We're seeing more and more Alphas though....and no complaints about them.
It's only hard to justify until you run one.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

It's hard to beat the os speed engine. It's not just about raw horsepower ts about how it's put to use. There are several engines that have more raw power than the speed but they are not as smooth and they do not get the mileage that the speed does. I had a powerhouse modded toro that definatly out does the speed in hp but it was like comparing a balls out corvette against a ferrari. Depends on what you like and what your style is.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
im not 100 % sure on pricing cause i haven't bought any OS engine or parts since the Ninja JX came out, but when i was the blue head were like 250 and the speed was like 420.. rebuild is like 120. If you run OS there is no doubt the ninja is the best bang for the buck hands down. I really like the star based engines too but i highly doubt you'll get 9 gallons out of a star based engine w/o some work.

I think there are so many options out now. You really have to look hard to buy a bad engine... If you stick to the main companies you cant go terribly wrong.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Token created a posting frenzy !!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
It's hard to beat the os speed engine. It's not just about raw horsepower ts about how it's put to use. There are several engines that have more raw power than the speed but they are not as smooth and they do not get the mileage that the speed does. I had a powerhouse modded toro that definatly out does the speed in hp but it was like comparing a balls out corvette against a ferrari. Depends on what you like and what your style is.
Agreed...
Tech Champion

Completely agree! Many engines make more power than a Speed. With the speed it is about how it puts the power down. It is just sooooooo Smoooooth. The 14 minutes of run time in my truggy is just a bonus.

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16273
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg B
Token created a posting frenzy !!!!!!
We are passionate about our motors!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Completely agree! Many engines make more power than a Speed. With the speed it is about how it puts the power down. It is just sooooooo Smoooooth. The 14 minutes of run time in my truggy is just a bonus.

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16273
That site has 6 p3 plugs for $45 bucks(so does Tower).... I pay 12.99 for one at my LHS Wonder how bad the shipping is...
Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

your right its not about HP, its about throttle response. example: if i post up a dyno graph that compares a speed to a JX the curve is virtually overlaying each other making the same power. (dyno doesn't measure throttle response) now when you put them in the car the speed FEELS smoother because of the weighted crank and time it takes to get it going, where the JX is explosive like the blue heads cause its really just the same crank with a turbo cut and a dope coating. MHO save your money buy a jx and clutch down if it's too much.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

That site has 6 p3 plugs for $45 bucks.... I pay 12.99 for one at my LHS Wonder how bad the shipping is...
I don't know. Haven't ordered from there before. From what I hear they are pretty good though.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

I think there are so many options out now. You really have to look hard to buy a bad engine... If you stick to the main companies you cant go terribly wrong.
IMHO there are a ton of awesome engines out there, but many have some poor components or just poor QC.

its like an awesome marathon runners with a bad heart.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

That site has 6 p3 plugs for $45 bucks(so does Tower).... I pay 12.99 for one at my LHS Wonder how bad the shipping is...
OK, I just checked. Shipping on the engine to the US is $20 or $25 for Express Mail. Not too bad coming from Hong Kong. Certainly would still save a LOT of money on the engine over amains price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.