Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10min+ Run Time Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

i have ran truggy with vspec and buggys with everthing and never went 10 mins even the nova plus 4 god run time motor could only go 9.20

i must say i found my 10 min motor a werks b5 5 plug 2057 pipe with no spacer stock carb instert and tuned like ron tell you to.

11 mins
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The modified B5 is a seriously wicked engine.. I hate to say this, but the runtimes seem exceptional so far ( no promises tho) ...The power has to be felt to be understood IMO... smooth as silk when part throttled and outright insane when clamped...To date I have not seen a .21 with this kind of power....
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

slightly off topic Q: who makes the B5? Sirio-based?

Re 10mn+ mills : I can't hit the magic 10mn mark with my +4, neither with my Toro Nero, both (9901 pipes) run dry at 8m30-ish in my mbx6. I have a stock v-spec that is VERY impressive in terms of performance, but boy what a guzzler, in race conditions it runs dry a 7:30 (2060 pipe) whereas I can take it easily to 8:30 in practice, but during racing I tend to nail the car harder due to pressure.

The only mill that I've consistently taken past 10mn in my Mugen is the N21BF + 9901. 10mn+ is the norm. Plus, the (apparent) absence of power helps with every aspect of driving at my level, I can hit the apex better, it saves tires, clutch, gas, you name it. Sometimes less is more

Paul
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lonestar
slightly off topic Q: who makes the B5? Sirio-based?

Re 10mn+ mills : I can't hit the magic 10mn mark with my +4, neither with my Toro Nero, both (9901 pipes) run dry at 8m30-ish in my mbx6. I have a stock v-spec that is VERY impressive in terms of performance, but boy what a guzzler, in race conditions it runs dry a 7:30 (2060 pipe) whereas I can take it easily to 8:30 in practice, but during racing I tend to nail the car harder due to pressure.

The only mill that I've consistently taken past 10mn in my Mugen is the N21BF + 9901. 10mn+ is the norm. Plus, the (apparent) absence of power helps with every aspect of driving at my level, I can hit the apex better, it saves tires, clutch, gas, you name it. Sometimes less is more

Paul
paul it is a werks racing made motor and it right at the 200 dollor line if you look here ron who runs werks has a way to tune it and i learned it and at the end of the day it helped me alot

lets just say i ran a 5 min qual this weekend in the rain punched out and had over half a tank left in my 801x
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

I would have to say that it all depends on the driver. 8 to 9min pits in race conditions is fine in my eyes! I have only sean a few top drivers here in Australia that can go the 10 and it all comes down to how lean you are willing to run your motors. I guess if you limit your throttle enough you can get 10mins from any motor.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34

that picco is pretty impressive!

I wonder what a modded B5 would be like on runtime..
I get 10 mins runtime on a Clockwork's B5. That was on roughly tank 7-8.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by porkchop
paul it is a werks racing made motor and it right at the 200 dollor line if you look here ron who runs werks has a way to tune it and i learned it and at the end of the day it helped me alot

lets just say i ran a 5 min qual this weekend in the rain punched out and had over half a tank left in my 801x
From what I understand the B5 is actually a Sirio based / made engine
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

I think all the forum hype over runtimes is a bunch of malarkey to be honest...... everyone brags online how they get all this crazy runtime, yet when I watch live RC I rarely see anyone pit later then 8 minutes at the top level.... The part that bothers me is people actually basing their engine purchases off runtime being the number 1 factor..... Yet they are going to pit at 8 minutes like everybody else anyways.....So whats the point ? As I say I have been making a point of watching as many races on LiveRC as I can, and nearly everybody pits at 8 minutes or less...heck some of the top pro's are pitting much sooner then that and still winning races............Why not purchase an engine for its performance capabilities instead ? to me runtime is nothing more then something people can brag about online, as in the big races I am seeing almost nobody pit after 8 minutes anyways... so if a 8 minute or less pitstop is good for the top pro's, its good enough for you club racers !

What even bothers me more is seeing rookie's basing their engine choice simply based off runtime due to all the hype on the forums.... These guys are soo new they barely know how to tune, and yet they are looking for the most runtime possible as that is all that is talked about on the forums .... No thought of powerband, tune stability, trigger feel etc...all they want is a motor that can get 14 minutes runtime..they wouldn't care if the motor tunes like crap, has no power and a lightswitch trigger as long as it gets over 10 minutes.... To me buy an engine based off its overall performance first...runtimes will come when you learn to tune and drive correctly anyways !

Last edited by Maximo; 06-08-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I think all the forum hype over runtimes is a bunch of malarkey to be honest...... everyone brags online how they get all this crazy runtime, yet when I watch live RC I rarely see anyone pit later then 8 minutes at the top level.... The part that bothers me is people actually basing their engine purchases off runtime being the number 1 factor..... Yet they are going to pit at 8 minutes like everybody else anyways.....So whats the point ? As I say I have been making a point of watching as many races on LiveRC as I can, and nearly everybody pits at 8 minutes or less...heck some of the top pro's are pitting much sooner then that and still winning races............Why not purchase an engine for its performance capabilities instead ? to me runtime is nothing more then something people can brag about online, as in the big races I am seeing almost nobody pit after 8 minutes anyways... so if a 8 minute or less pitstop is good for the top pro's, its good enough for you club racers !

What even bothers me more is seeing rookie's basing their engine choice simply based off runtime due to all the hype on the forums.... These guys are soo new they barely know how to tune, and yet they are looking for the most runtime possible as that is all that is talked about on the forums .... No thought of powerband, tune stability, trigger feel etc...all they want is a motor that can get 14 minutes runtime..they wouldn't care if the motor tunes like crap, has no power and a lightswitch trigger as long as it gets over 10 minutes.... To me buy an engine based off its overall performance first...runtimes will come when you learn to tune and drive correctly anyways !
Watch the video on neobuggy from the roar nationals at leisure hours, you tell me how long it is from Drakes last stop to the end of the race. Fuel milage played a huge role in the outcome of that race, and also Drakes awesome driving of course.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im not try to be a jerk by telling you to watch it, but really I forgot the exact number, but I beleive its over 13min.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RacerScott
Watch the video on neobuggy from the roar nationals at leisure hours, you tell me how long its is from Drakes last stop to the end of the race. Fuel milage played a huge role in the outcome of that race, and also Drakes awesome driving of course.
I just watched Drake Flameout at the AMS ! pushing the runtimes a little too far ...did you see the outcome because of that ?

sorry guys I am not buying into the runtime hype at all....sure the odd time a pro makes some crazy runtimes, but 99% of the racers out there are pitting at 8 minutes or less.... I have been making a point of watching as many races as I can specifically to monitor the pitstop times people make...According to the forums everybody and their dog makes 12 minute pitstops, but when i watch the races nobody is making anywhere near a 12 minute pitstop.... Things are always grander on the internet, engines lasting 25 gallons, 14 minute pitstops, used engines with only 1 gallon......I am into offering the real deal information to my customers not some fairy tale telling them what they want to hear..I have likely lost many engines sales as I refuse to make any runtime promises, even tho my modifieds have many times far exceeded the runtimes of their stock counterparts....to each their own I guess.... As IMO a engines overall performance and trigger characteristics are going to matter a hell of alot more then some fictional runtime quota the forums have programmed into people...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RacerScott
Im not try to be a jerk by telling you to watch it, but really I forgot the exact number, but I beleive its over 13min.
I know Drake made some crazy pitstops, but was he running a off the shelf engine, or some special riveted backplate engine ?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

We are all still in the early stages of maximizing power/runtime

As far as engines that can run 10min+ on one tank , pretty much any engine out there if setup properly can go 10min+ on one tank .

A few main factors to achieving the runtimes are restrictor size , your ability to properly tune to that size of restrictor , the pipe - the pipe that has the most power does not create the "best" runtimes overall, a free drivetrain in your vehicle , the right plug and your throttle finger .
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I know Drake made some crazy pitstops, but was he running a off the shelf engine, or some special riveted backplate engine ?
I can tell you that adams engines are not special and they are riveted so they do not open them up and try to "mod" their own engines maximo .

10min+ pitstops is no issue at all when properly tuned. ie., pipe , plug, clutch, venturi , proper carburetor balance and a few other things not as important

However there are every so often a few test pieces in adams engines that he doesn't even know , he is just asked to report how if any the engine feels different than the last he run .

A properly jetted engine feels reaaalllllyyyy good
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by houston
I can tell you that adams engines are not special and they are riveted so they do not open them up and try to "mod" their own engines maximo .

10min+ pitstops is no issue at all when properly tuned. ie., pipe , plug, clutch, venturi , proper carburetor balance and a few other things not as important

However there are every so often a few test pieces in adams engines that he doesn't even know , he is just asked to report how if any the engine feels different than the last he run .

A properly jetted engine feels reaaalllllyyyy good
I agree 100% properly tuned is the KEY !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.